IGNORED

Sega Master System HSC - 2022 Summer Round 10 - Happy Halloween

BydoEmpire

The witching season is upon us, so for the final round of the summer HSC we shall play one of my all-time favorite Master System games:

Ghosthousecard.jpg

To get a bonus point, play any other SMS Halloween-themed games (featuring ghosts, monsters, etc) PLUS tell us your favorite Halloween candy.

This round runs October 17-30

Totals

1. @pboland 791,900 (+1) editor's note: wow! ;)
  2. @Asaki 244, 450 (+1)
  3. @Razzie.P 228,300(+1)
  4. @BydoEmpire 74,650 (+1)
  5. @Dashopepper 47,200 (+1)
  6. @jeremiahjt 39,800 (+1)
  7. @fakecortex 26,200 (+1)
  8. @Frozone212 19,300
Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2022 at 4:52 AM, BydoEmpire said:

The witching season is upon us, so for the final round of the summer HSC we shall play one of my all-time favorite Master System games:

Ghosthousecard.jpg

To get a bonus point, play any other SMS Halloween-themed games (featuring ghosts, monsters, etc) PLUS tell us your favorite Halloween candy.

This round runs October 17-30

Totals

1. tbd

I wanted to ask. I'm doing my own HSC for the genesis and...how do you add scores without quoting? I can't seem to get the top page organized. 

I only made it to round 4 tonight (I normally make it to round 5):

score257000.jpg.bbda7c935d00281ae2a32e891184c6d7.jpg

Of course there is still plenty of time for me to get a better score. :) I've had this game since I've had my system (1986) and I've never got to the end. I did come close once or twice. The problem is, there is a little bit of chance with the game. Sometimes Dracula's like to reanimate many times. Tonight I had two Dracula's reanimate three times!

• Like 2

Got one game in tonight, 67,150. Beat two dracs, couldn't find a good lamp to use to freeze the third I was going after. Hopefully this is just a warm up. I used to be so good at this game, but I've lost all my skill over the last 30 years...

image.thumb.jpeg.7d67279191bbae3b5d56687aeb151937.jpeg

I don't have a lot of tips, but in case anyone doesn't know:

1. jumping into a candle holder will throw a knife, which you can jump on to use - it does way more damage and is pretty critical

2. walking in front of a fireplace shoots an arrow at you

3. jumping into an overhead lamp will freeze enemies

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 2

39,800 on my first attempt at Ghost House.  I have no idea what I am doing.  I did manage to destroy a Dracula, but he came right back and killed me.  At one point I got limited invincibility, but I am not sure how I got it.  I think by jumping on a certain amount of arrows.  Hopefully I can give this one a try again.

For the bonus point I played Ghouls 'N Ghosts and scored 17,200.  I guess my favorite Halloween candy is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  If cereal counts as a candy then it would be the Monster Cereals.  General Mills brought out Frute Brute this year too.

• Like 1

Favorite Halloween candy is Jolly Ranchers.  I don't eat a lot of candy, but I'll eat those until I get sick.

My weekend obsession (actually started middle of last week) was taking down "Vampire."  I've been putting this one off for a couple of years and finally used this as an excuse to play through it.   Great game overall, but got a bit crappy with what seemed to be some unfair situations near the end.

I did finish though, so time to move on to Ghost House this week.

Vampire -- 219,700

Also, dude's ouija board thingy (end credits) looks like a pair of truck nuts, so I had to include a pic of that, too.

Vampire001.jpg.b41fd7552723414bf3e14fbb06c03cb2.jpg

Vampire002.jpg.6361ea03eafc45f69ff6062ff27b7d8c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For my +1:

My favorite Halloween candy is "Sixlets". Mainly because I remember as a kid Halloween was the only time I would get Sixlets. I don't remember seeing them in the stores BITD (at least by themselves).

My second Halloween SMS game I played is Ghostbusters. I remember first playing Ghostbusters on my friends Atari 800XL. Never had the game for the SMS back in the day, but when I started collecting more classic video games back in the mid to late 90's I picked up a copy for the SMS. Those that don't know, it has a password save/continue function (it must be used with the account name). So hopefully this works for you guys, Here's a Halloween treat for all of you:

Start the game with $96,700!

Player Name: PB

Code: 7164616832

PB_GB.thumb.jpg.8aadc97b59bc063bbbb10f62aad1293f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm gonna have to read the manual, because I have no idea what's going on.

Edit: Okay, nevermind, I read it and am probably more confused than I was before. It says to stab Fire Blowers with your knife...you can get a knife??

I haven't seen any mummies, either... Hmm...

For the bonus point, does Rampage count?

Favorite candy is probably ET's favorite: Reese's Pieces.

Edited by Asaki
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asaki said:

Edit: Okay, nevermind, I read it and am probably more confused than I was before. It says to stab Fire Blowers with your knife...you can get a knife??

I haven't seen any mummies, either... Hmm...

Someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in and correct any of this if I’m wrong, no hard feelings, but to me –

To simplify –

1. Kill enemies until one drops a key (this seems random)
  2. Take the key and explore the house to find a coffin.  Touch it.
  3. Kill the Dracula.   

Repeat those 3 steps 4 more times, then search the house for a “magic door.”  It looks way different and is pretty easy to spot.  Enter this door to finish the round.

The knife – whenever you see 3 candles on the wall, touch them and a knife/sword will shoot at you.  Jump on the knife and you’ll be able to use it for a short while.  Its more powerful and has a longer reach that the regular punch.

Fireblowers – you can beat them with punches too (no knife) but it’s annoying.  BUT… you can jump on their head and kill them instantly.

Mummies – those start showing up in round 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1