IGNORED

Season 21 Round 4 - Monster Party

asponge

This seems appropriate with Halloween right around the corner.  I've extended the post deadline an extra day through Monday.  It doesn't feel right to end this the day before.

1006204888_MonsterPartyCartridge.png.1450c18079d7ee5069bd93c09b4b904d.png 1862921890_MonsterPartyScreenshot.png.36c452d08138eed181a0ec9d0a0f74ec.png

Game Rules:

No Continues/Passwords

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Monday October 31 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

None

Scores as of 10/31:

Razzie.P      615,800
Punisher5.0   356,200
Asaki         108,000
fakecortex     71,900
asponge        48,700

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.307cd1eb13840887aec4e74f70dea536.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Season points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 1

Oh man, what a crazy game. I bought (asked my mom to buy, haha) this one bitd based on the cover art alone. I always found it so hard tho. There were some game genie codes that looked like you could just bulldoze it, but my cart would never boot up when connected. Turns out there were some carts that worked and others that didn't. Guess I wasn't one of the lucky ones. This is a great time to break this one back out tho, and now that I have an everdrive, perhaps I'll try those codes for fun if I still deem this too hard...

I gotta do well on this game since it's making it all personal by calling me by my actual name

So far it seems much harder than it is, since everything takes multiple hits.  Really, though it's more "slow advancing" than "hard."  Seems like most enemies have a border that you can just stand outside of and whack 'em when they come by.  Takes longer, but pretty easy.   Reminds me of how Foghorn Leghorn used to treat that dog....

Moster232300.jpg.2750a1456f3337171c916a174170f28d.jpg

Me.jpg

• Haha 1

Finally finished it, but there doesn't seem to be an option to see your score after the credits kick in.

This was a cool game, but had a couple of really irritating points where I had to check out a walkthrough to see what the heck was up.    If anyone's interested --

Spoiler

There's a boss in Round 5 that says "watch my dance" and is 2 zombies dancing.  Kill them, and they keep coming back.   The only way to beat them is to just leave them alone for a while and the die from exhaustion.

Round 7 -- Don't fight all 3 bosses.  If you notice you got the key after the 2nd boss, skip all doors and head to the exit.  if you fight the 3rd boss, you lose the key (for some reason) and have basically softlocked your game and can't finish the level.  I'm not sure if this is by design or a bug, but it was annoying.

511429329_MosterParty_615800.jpg.adb409ea072ea0df35c4a440fc255c73.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 5:56 PM, Razzie.P said:

I'm not sure if this is by design or a bug, but it was annoying.

I know a lot of stuff got lost in translation*, so it's possible that was one of those things.

*The "original" Japanese Famicom version was never released, but a prototype found its way online a few years ago. I only played it a tiny bit, but I know it has the original Audrey II style boss that got swapped out in the US release. There's even an invisible platform you can stand on where the karaoke machine used to be.

• Haha 1

I had played a few times but kept forgetting to pause for the score! Grr. It’s annoying that they have a high score set at 200k bc you’re just not hitting that early on. At least, not the way I’m playing, lol. Glad I went once more bc I increased my score significantly. I’m very pleased that I made it past the first level. I don’t honestly remember the second level, and I’m starting to wonder if I never made it there as a kid. I mean, I must’ve, right? It’s not that hard, right?? Right??? Lol, this was brutal bitd, but I suppose I have more patience now to hit the enemies from a far. There’s so much here that can make a great game, but your short reach and attacking in general really hurt it. Now that I have my round 2 pw tho, I’d like to keep trying!

Monster Party - 71,900 rd2

(scored a bit more after my pic, but I couldn’t pause it once I died)

6ED950FA-83B0-4809-A723-49E94C389E11.thumb.jpeg.72bad8844f273c2f0ffd771f7e8065cd.jpeg

Those human headed dogs tho...surprised Nintendo approved this one sometimes. 

On 10/28/2022 at 10:05 PM, asponge said:

I don't understand why this is rated highly in some circles.  Sorry guys.  Anyway, Happy Halloween because this game is truly a horror show!

Yeah, it's a weird game, for sure...especially back when we were kids. It's definitely memorable, though. Kind of traumatizing.

There was a very similar game called Xexyz. But...it was a little less weird.

I know Game Genie codes probably aren't allowed, but I just made one that starts the high score at zero, if that helps anyone: AAEKOZZA
Value in ROM address 0x0001CA19 is 02 by default, this changes it to 00.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Yeah, it's a weird game, for sure...especially back when we were kids. It's definitely memorable, though. Kind of traumatizing.

There was a very similar game called Xexyz. But...it was a little less weird.

I know Game Genie codes probably aren't allowed, but I just made one that starts the high score at zero, if that helps anyone: AAEKOZZA

Wow, great idea! Nice! And yeah, Xexyz is sweet!

21 hours ago, Asaki said:

Normally no but that's a great idea.  I personally don't have a problem with this.  I know there are other games where a code like that would have been useful.  

• Like 1

333100, just started round 6, but it looks like I'm out of time (plus, I gotta sleep).

Edit: Actually, I guess I've got another hour...I didn't get much further before dying: 367300
I think I gotta draw a map if I want to finish this stage.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 8:40 PM, fakecortex said:

Lol, this was brutal bitd, but I suppose I have more patience now to hit the enemies from a far. There’s so much here that can make a great game, but your short reach and attacking in general really hurt it.

Some of the bosses early on are pretty cheap, but it's not so bad once you figure it out. Best strategy seems to be to stock up on as much HP as possible. Try to switch to Bert before entering any doors (or just memorize where the bosses are on replays), most of the bosses are easier when you can fly over them.

But no matter which character you fight the bosses as, it seems like half of them want you to just mash the button(s) faster than you can take hits.

I had to look up a walkthrough for the fried food bosses, I guess you can just crouch and they'll bounce right over you, no damage.

• Like 1