IGNORED

A confused light sixer with graphic glitches and odd behaviour

wuggle1

I picked up a light sixer with some boxed games over the weekend.

It was more the games I was after but when testing the console I noticed a few graphic and logic issues on a few of the games. For example, Video Checkers showed no pieces on the board, Video Chess seemed to act odd when I tried to move a piece (ie moved a pawn and it cycled its appearance through knight, queen etc as I pressed the fire button) and 3D Tic-Tac-Toe seemed to let me keep taking my turn and the computer never placed a counter. As an example I've incluuded a photo of Video chess when it starts on the light sixer versus what it looks like on my woody 4 switch model where the checker pieces obviously appear.

I'm not overly technical as regards electronics, soldering and all that side of things but was just curious if anybody could tell me the likely cause of these issues?

For a few games, Jr Pacman as an example, things seem to work fine and its actually a very nice stable picture with much less interference than some of my other old Atari consoles.

Anyway, doubt I would ever use the light sixer much and it will just sit on a shelf as a display unit as it is a very clean and nice example of the console however I wondered if the problems may be an easy fix or a sign of more serious TLC being needed to get it back to full working condition.

image.jpeg

VC2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Your issues could be a caused by a couple things. Pinning it down to exactly what it is may not be so simple. I had just picked up two light sixers myself. While they did work, they both had issues:

1. Game screen would come up blank would not come up unless I power cycled a couple of times. 

2. Garbled game screens.

3.  Game select buttons did not seem to move that well.

To rectify it, I cleaned cleaned the electronics internally and sprayed de-oxit on the switches. The final step was installing a recap/electronics kit from console5.com. I did one machine to see how it went and now it comes up with no issues every time.  

• 1 month later...

I realize you probably already figured it out, but for any future people that stumble upon this post... The left difficulty switch set in the 'A' position for the three specific games you had "issues" with, is normal behavior, as that is how "set up" mode is accessed. 

• Like 2