IGNORED

My abandoned Coleco ADAM Projects #1 - Help Please

CharlesMouseAgain

It's been years since I last posted, life's distractions...

Returning to making an 80 Column card for the ADAM via recreating the MI MIB II/III and slapping a Raspberry Pi on it.

I'm aware this card has been remade while I've been away in the form of the MiB238 kindly hosted in github: https://github.com/epearsoe/MIB238

Always happy to repurpose stuff rather than reinventing the wheel, but no schematics an no .jdec file for the 16V8D GAL - ho-hum ...so I recreated the card myself in Eagle via the original MiB II schematic and MIB3G1.PLD file (see attached)

Design finished, both my recreation of original and my update that includes a Raspberry Pi.

So what's the issue?

1) I have no idea how to take the attached file and use it to program a 16V8D for use in my prototype - it's such an old file I wouldn't even know what available software it might be compatible with or the specific language - I have absolutely no interest at all in programming or learning to do so.

...for a prototype.

2) I have absolutely no intention of doing a release version that uses programmable logic of any kind because:

a) I like to keep retro projects TTL only where at all possible - my preference, please don't try to persuade me otherwise.

b) Programmable logic is a huge barrier to anyone who wants to make their own - I always publish everything when I'm done for anyone who wants to play along.

...so 74-series logic it will be.

But:

As I'm no expert when it comes to interpreting the meaning of such code I would very much appreciate anyone's kind help. Specifics:

-What the hell is a ?? operator..? Google - Ah, "If represented as x ?? y it means if x is non-null, evaluate to x; otherwise, y." Ok, got it.

-What is the meaning of Conditioning: ..? eg: Conditioning: (IORQ & RD...

-What are apostrophes for? eg: PBOUT = (IORQ & RD & A[7..0]==40H & PEN) ?? PBIN'

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

PS

I do this stuff as a low priority hobby, am only interested in making hardware and have an amazingly shot attention span - taking enough time over something even to ask for help is most unlike me!

FW_MIB3G1.pdf

On 10/17/2022 at 4:35 AM, CharlesMouseAgain said:

b) Programmable logic is a huge barrier to anyone who wants to make their own - I always publish everything when I'm done for anyone who wants to play along.

...so 74-series logic it will be.

Well I've used these modern replacements for the 16V8D GAL in place of Atari MMU chips, and it works just fine. And it appears that Digi-Key offers a programming service for the ones that you purchase from them, so no real obstacle for a DIY builder.

image.thumb.png.b66766aeb55bb1d46ad0e7b596178e1c.png

Buy LINK

On 10/17/2022 at 4:35 AM, CharlesMouseAgain said:

a) I like to keep retro projects TTL only where at all possible - my preference, please don't try to persuade me otherwise.

I respect that, and it's usually the way I roll as well. But not always ;)

The JED file is on the Github page under https://github.com/epearsoe/MIB238/blob/main/Documentation/Media/MIB238.jed and it is in the PLD file you uploaded on the last page.  It starts with OrCAD PLD-386.

I used the JED file from that document that James Notini uploaded.

I usually don't include the Eagle project file with schematic on my Github projects but rather complete and tested Gerbers for the DIY builder.

I don't know if all the required lines are provided by Internal Expansion Slot #1, but if they are, that slot would be a much better choice to use for this proposed 80 column card more now than ever because so many have invested in Eric Pearson's MIB238 or MIB238 WiFi Slot #2 interface card with builds available to purchase from Lundy Electronics. As I'm sure you have read already, the MIB238 is a new version of Micro Innovations' MIB2 and MIB3 cards with a number of improvements including the latest iteration that includes a built-on WiFi modem. The second serial port provided is for use with connecting to a terminal or a PC using terminal software for 80 column output in select programs (T-DOS, CP/M, SmartBasic v1.x, TeleTerm, etc.).

It would seem a better starting point would be the Slot #1 Micro Innovations Dual Serial Interface or Eric Pearson's DS232 Dual Serial Interface, which is his recreation of the Micro Innovations' card. 

GitHub - epearsoe/DS232

(AdamArchive.Org) - The home for everything ADAM

Oh yeah, great to see you back on here!