IGNORED

Binary Parasite evolution

matosimi

Love it! Works great on an AVG cart in NTSC. Reminds me of when I was studying for the Cisco CCNA exam, they had a binary game that helped you learn binary numbers:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/binary-game

This is more fun though! I take it you have to be an ABBUC member to get the full version when it's completed?

Edited by Havok69

NOICE! 🤣

As promised I make noice, when I have tested it.

Here is a screenshot from r040 version in Super Packer, where you can see, what causes not to load on A8 with DOS or similar. I think SIDE uses this (marked with those red crosses) space, too:bin_par_r40.thumb.png.db78b21bff6a820448e0c5eb5bd21585.png

btw, never thought that a run at file start will work on a8, but you'll never are to old to learn new things :)

Edit: here is an .atr that should work on real ATARI - it uses xboot from @xxl bin_para_r040.atr

Edited by pps
  • Thanks 1

@pps correct, $0800 is the Vram area and this r40 is a debug version - this way I can quickly design/test levels:

;**************** LEVELDEBUG stuff *************
	ift LEVELDEBUG == 1
_temp
	org vram
	ins "lev03.dat",0,1000
	org _temp
maskdata	ins "lev03mask.dat",0,1000
dlidata	ins "lev03dli.dat"
;***********************************************

Of course, there will not be such datablock in the release version :)

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, pps said:

NOICE! 🤣

As promised I make noice, when I have tested it.

Here is a screenshot from r040 version in Super Packer, where you can see, what causes not to load on A8 with DOS or similar. I think SIDE uses this (marked with those red crosses) space, too:bin_par_r40.thumb.png.db78b21bff6a820448e0c5eb5bd21585.png

btw, never thought that a run at file start will work on a8, but you'll never are to old to learn new things :)

Edit: here is an .atr that should work on real ATARI - it uses xboot from @xxl bin_para_r040.atr

@pps  Thanks for the ATR of ro40 - loaded fine off SIDE3 on my U1MB'd 800XL  :)

image.thumb.png.df62a1c5d8a5d8817e12caf86520d4b2.png

1 hour ago, pps said:

btw, never thought that a run at file start will work on a8, but you'll never are to old to learn new things

The segment is loaded to $2e0 like any other segment.

You even can have several segments for RUNAD but only the last one "survives".

Then after the last segment was loaded and (if there was an INITAD at the end) the call to INITAD has returned, DOS jumps to whatever address is in RUNAD at that time.

4 hours ago, DjayBee said:

The segment is loaded to $2e0 like any other segment.

You even can have several segments for RUNAD but only the last one "survives".

Then after the last segment was loaded and (if there was an INITAD at the end) the call to INITAD has returned, DOS jumps to whatever address is in RUNAD at that time.

Of course it is so. I didn't remember of that behavior, till I looked into @matosimi's files. But when I saw it, that knowledge came back from deeeeeep in mind 🤣

Let's see if Super-Copy by Peter Jakubek can help to make the file DOS 2.x compatible...

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-super-copy_15934.html

Edit: Seems to work... and I also packed it with Superpacker. Please test it.

New start adress: $1F00, run adress $1F3F (as always with Super-Copy "relocated" files).

Bp3.xex

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Binary Parasite as part of ABBUC Entries Playthrough: Part 2 on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

893628950_20221122-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.9a56a34aa9cb966f7f49223e303acb5a.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Awesome! Been anticipating this for some time now. The ABBUC teaser simply whet my appetite!

EDIT: Just checked out the first few levels.. fantastic work, Matosimi! Your high level of polish and coding skill is on full display here.

Edited by adam242

Nice game, but the controls are really annoying. Jump could be joystick-up, and fire should be used to catch the block. Currently, often the block moves to the end of the platform or falls down and the only thing left to do is restart the level.

2 hours ago, shanti77 said:

Nice game, but the controls are really annoying. Jump could be joystick-up, and fire should be used to catch the block. Currently, often the block moves to the end of the platform or falls down and the only thing left to do is restart the level.

lot of people complained that in ridiculous reality the jump with joy up was not good. its matter of preference, however if you try it on real hw with real joystick then the fire button is much better choice especially when you need to carry the bitbox with you.

Regarding the falling bitboxes... you can always change the direction and it will follow you.

I really ike the game, even if for now I can't get how to solve level 11. I am sure that the game would have a good chance to win the contest, if it had been put into the contest at current state instead of the beta or alpha it participated.

Thanks @matosimi releaseing a complete version of this very nice game.

• Like 3