IGNORED

Binary Parasite evolution

matosimi

I'm at #13. And i'm starting to hate the game. The difficulty level twist between #10 and the rest is simply cruel and makes the game unbalanced. The worst thing is this... something traversing the border, shooting at the character too often. I really hate it. I bet majority of players will not see all the funny stuff because they will give up earlier due to anger. A pitty 😞

But I'll still give it a try anyway.

Jump man bullet like, however, I think it is a bit too frequent and could use a little more time between appearances. CRT play of game makes it better, but LCD display lag makes it a bit though. Murder dot death can be a great for game play, but too many can make one paranoid.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Stuck at L11... I need a hint as I'm going about this wrong. I can create the box needed to get to the middle platforms but I'm stuck as now I can't really do anything else with an accumulated value of 16. I tried to coax the death-bullet into knocking it off the 16 but that doesn't work and I can't seem to get that bit-box past the 16 without triggering the 16-box.

image.png.fe11becdd14dbff8d604e4b36185dd42.png

On 6/3/2023 at 4:53 AM, Peri Noid said:

I'm at #13. And i'm starting to hate the game.

The history of video-game anger is an interesting one. There's a fine line between being challenged and addiction to abuse. I recall the NES era of gaming being particularly punishing in many instances, producing a generation that could easily relate to someone like the Angry Video-Game Nerd.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:53 AM, Peri Noid said:

The worst thing is this... something traversing the border, shooting at the character too often. I really hate it.

I quit a few levels after the shooting started. I could see where this was going to end up. Haha... no, thanks...

12 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I quit a few levels after the shooting started. I could see where this was going to end up. Haha... no, thanks...

I was enjoying the game until the shooter came out.  Then I quit as well.  Getting shot at while playing a thinking game sucks.

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

I was enjoying the game until the shooter came out.  Then I quit as well.  Getting shot at while playing a thinking game sucks.

I still like the game alright -- particularly in the earlier levels. I'm just not willing to go very far with the shooting aspect.

4 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Actually I like this addition to the gameplay. It brings a little bit of action and more variation to the game.

The only thing that is missing are level codes.

The thing that pissed me off in reality was, I played the game in Altirra for a change and was on level 14 or 15. I hit some combination of keys close to the arrow keys near the number pad in the emu with the control key... damn emulator warm started on me and I ended up at a blue Atari screen... no way to pick back up where I left off...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Each level has a name displayed on the bottom of the screen.
Note this name, because this name is a password for this level.
Next time just press the Option key on the title screen and type this password.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mq. said:

Each level has a name displayed on the bottom of the screen.
Note this name, because this name is a password for this level.
Next time just press the Option key on the title screen and type this password.

It's probably worth mentioning that if the level name has spaces in it, those also have to be included as part of the password.

FWIW, I have the passwords for the first 15 levels (0-14).  PM me if you'd like a copy of the list; not going to post them openly yet ;-)

I really like to read posts soaked in tears. They warm my heart.

image.png.8e80be38364888d7d115daa146b3854f.png

Anyway I have been playing the game on real hw (with joystick) and wondering why you find it that hard. I was able to win level13 on 4th try with my 3 years old son sitting on my knees... for increased difficulty. Level 14 on 9th try.

Unfortunately I have found bug in level 17 (pyramid) - nothing that helps/prevents to win the level, but at some stage of level design (in general) I decided to remove the numbers indicating sub-goals after they are reached... and I forgot to implement that in this level (and also in the level after)... so I will release another version soon with these cosmetic changes... together with a "training mode" without shooting projectiles, but don't expect it to be too merciful.

Games are supposed to be played, don't be frustrated if you cannot win the level on first try... it requires skill to beat the game and most of time it is not that much about binary calculations.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, matosimi said:

Anyway I have been playing the game on real hw (with joystick) and wondering why you find it that hard. I was able to win level13 on 4th try with my 3 years old son sitting on my knees... for increased difficulty. Level 14 on 9th try.

You're the author ;-)

2 hours ago, matosimi said:

Games are supposed to be played, don't be frustrated if you cannot win the level on first try... it requires skill to beat the game and most of time it is not that much about binary calculations.

First try? No... If it takes an hour or two just to pass one level, it's not the matter of 1 try. I know, I'm not a master of a joystick (I play on a real hardware only) but... And - yes, games should be played. But if they make people frustrated - they are not played, they are dumped.

I hope you understand me well - I find the idea of a game really brilliant. Pixel-perfect jumps and all such things are also really fine. Even this shooting s... thing would be acceptable it it wasn't so frequent. It's the matter of balance.

3 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

I hope you understand me well - I find the idea of a game really brilliant. Pixel-perfect jumps and all such things are also really fine. Even this shooting s... thing would be acceptable it it wasn't so frequent. It's the matter of balance.

I agree completely.  More balance is needed with that shooting thing.  Maybe include it at a much higher level and have a lot less shooting.

One thing regarding the Jumpman bullet: as the game has no timer and infinite lives, make looking for it a priority.  I'm not saying that it doesn't ramp difficulty up considerably; it does.  But if you can train yourself to become aware of it, it is possible to work with it more effectively.

22 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

That's a great idea!  Just as you start typing the next instruction, you have to delete it, type "jump", and press the return key!

No, I mean physically shot; where you have to move the cursor around the screen to avoid it, while you're typing your next command.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

No, I mean physically shot; where you have to move the cursor around the screen to avoid it, while you're typing your next command.

control arrow keys or joystck cursor movement, or both?

The game is fine for me on CRT like stated, but LCD lag does increase challenge. Just make pretend you are online gamer with lag and anticipate kill shot to avoid death :)

Maybe, NTSC faster too, as color is wrong for NTSC, maybe must play full PAL