IGNORED

Results from Test cartridge - your opinion requested

mikesk8

Hi All, I've come back after some time to Vectrex again, got VecMulti and started with Test cart ;-) In general, the tests look okish I think, I attached few pics and one video (as on Distortion 1 test the vectors were not stable). 

What are your thoughts? Any visible challenges? Is it worth opening and trying to adjust it?

Thanks a lot! m.

IMG_7072.jpeg

IMG_7069.jpeg

IMG_7085.jpeg

IMG_7088.jpeg

IMG_7074.jpeg

Thank you for sharing your pics and asking, mikesk8. From what I can see in the pictures your Vectrex is o.k.. Picture looks very slightly twisted clockwise but this might be camera perspective and even if there is a slight twist you wouldn't notice when playing most of the Vectrex games. If you want a perfect picture and have fun adjusting potentiometers and are familiar with electronics you might try to adjust the slight twist (if there there is any at all). Personally, I'd leave it as it is and stick to the motto "Never change a running system!". Just my 2 cents... ;)

EDIT: Just saw the a bit wobbly Vectrex image in your short video. AFAIK, a wobbly image is a sign for old capacitors. This might be solved with recapping but this needs good solderings skills.

Last not least: With a test cartridge it's good to have the appropriate test cartridge overlay plus the Vectrex service manual at hand. Page 18ff describe how to perform the test. But don't expect too much - from what I can see in the Vectrex Service manual it says "Take a note" if something isn't 100% good but I see no direct info what to do to solve the issues noted down. But I'm sure there are people around who are familiar with Vectrex adjustements and may help you.

Edited by hcmffm

15 hours ago, hcmffm said:

Thank you for sharing your pics and asking, mikesk8. From what I can see in the pictures your Vectrex is o.k.. Picture looks very slightly twisted clockwise but this might be camera perspective and even if there is a slight twist you wouldn't notice when playing most of the Vectrex games. If you want a perfect picture and have fun adjusting potentiometers and are familiar with electronics you might try to adjust the slight twist (if there there is any at all). Personally, I'd leave it as it is and stick to the motto "Never change a running system!". Just my 2 cents... ;)

EDIT: Just saw the a bit wobbly Vectrex image in your short video. AFAIK, a wobbly image is a sign for old capacitors. This might be solved with recapping but this needs good solderings skills.

Last not least: With a test cartridge it's good to have the appropriate test cartridge overlay plus the Vectrex service manual at hand. Page 18ff describe how to perform the test. But don't expect too much - from what I can see in the Vectrex Service manual it says "Take a note" if something isn't 100% good but I see no direct info what to do to solve the issues noted down. But I'm sure there are people around who are familiar with Vectrex adjustements and may help you.

Thank you very much for your answer; appreciated. Basically, my observations so far are:

- Indeed the picture is slightly twisted to the right. It is not a big issue, as you mentioned, its hardly visible/annoying. OK for now. 

- The picture is well centred; I have checked with Solar Quest overlay and its just in the middle. OK

- The horizontal picture width is not CRT edge to edge; the picture is a bit narrower as it could be. The vertical one is good. OKish for now.

- The wobbling is mainly visible in the Distortion 1 test; I did not notice it outside this test so visible (apart from normal wobbling). OKish for now.

Unfortunately, I don't have much soldering skills nor CRT (with live high voltage) tweaking experience. Then, I have not been able to find any Vectrex hobbyist in The Netherlands able to help me for a fair price. If I find one, I will consider in the future to do the full maintenance or we just tweak the screen ;-)

I agree with your first comment - don't try to fix vintage working electronics :) 

• Like 1