IGNORED

Starting Jeeves? How to?

Keatah

You do the one from asimov?

Looked around and found the system requirements include a Thunderclock or a special interrupt generator card. Seems some unsupported-by-AppleWin hardware is required. So I opened an issue.

https://github.com/AppleWin/AppleWin/issues/1138

Maybe something will come of it.

Edited by Keatah

Pretty sure it has something to do with interrupts. The Thunderclock module (in Virtual II and real hardware) provides them. As does the $15 interrupt card sold specifically in case you don't have an interrupt generating clock card. The architecture in VII would support whatever is needed because its implemented full time. Not turned off with selection of no-slot-clock. That's my guess.

Dunno. Can't try it on real hardware as most of my stuff packed away. Has been for some time.

And AppleWin will not allow a mouse card and mockingboard to be enabled at the same time. So can't test that out. But I doubt it would work.

The requirements are an Apple Mouse + (Thunderclock OR PBI's interrupt card). Pretty sure I have one of those packed away too, it's a simple 2 or 3 chip TTL board IIRC.

Edited by Keatah

Jeeves boots fine on my enhanced IIe. I do have mouse and Phasor clone cards in it. But I think it's more the mouse card that is required, as Jeeves says it can also run on a //c, and it could never have a real mockingboard or Phasor. 

MAME will boot Jeeves in an enhanced IIe with only a mouse card and disk controller installed. It does complain if you remove the mouse card and try to boot it. It also boots fine in MAME on //c. I'm too lazy to dig out my actual //c right now, but have no reason to believe it wouldn't boot there as well.

That sort of points to something isn't implemented properly in the AppleWin mouse card. Or possibly something is flawed in the 65C02 in AppleWin, as it appears to require a //c or enhanced IIe. 

Yes. Only have issues with it in applewin. Real hardware with mouse card and clock card is fine.

it detects the 65C02 fine. A II+ calls out a different error, requesting a //e or //c.

Leaning toward the clock card, because the company sold a special interrupt card if you didn’t have a clock card.

Edited by Keatah

Looks like TomCH and gang have plan to address this for next release. Looks like it has something to do with clock/mouse card interrupts, how they're implemented or something! Whooot!

Anyone have any idea if other software is similarly affected by this state of affairs?

Edited by Keatah

• 2 months later...