IGNORED

My new 7800

grownup

So I finally got a 7800. I actually got it for free. Not only that I got it off the side of the road. Not only that, it's new in the box. I gave the whole story on another part of the Atari Age forum. I've been collecting Atari games since the 90s and would sometimes have good finds out in the wild, but the wild was thrift shops not the side of the road, and definitely not items new in the box. Unfortunately I didn't have time to dig through all the other stuff because I was on the job so I'm sure there's other good stuff in there. I only looked through 5% of the stuff and found a ColecoVision n controller and a bunch of tapes. All the stuff is still on the side of the road Englewood Florida, except for that 5200 I took. What an unbelievable find in a place like that!

IMG_20221018_135815618.jpg

IMG_20221018_135752893.jpg

IMG_20221018_135857731.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

He told me I can take whatever I want. That was two days ago. Is it worth it to go back and look at the rest of the stuff? That's an hour and a half away from home in bad traffic. I wanted to dig through all but I was working and on the clock. I found a ColecoVision controller so I'm sure there is/was other stuff

1 hour ago, grownup said:

He told me I can take whatever I want. That was two days ago. Is it worth it to go back and look at the rest of the stuff? That's an hour and a half away from home in bad traffic. I wanted to dig through all but I was working and on the clock. I found a ColecoVision controller so I'm sure there is/was other stuff

Debatable if it's worth going back. At this point others have probably picked through it so interesting or high value stuff might be gone. Since it's so far away from you I could see the rationale to leave it... But you'll never know unless you go so if you have a free day tomorrow maybe you should make the drive 😉 if you get there and it's all gone, then treat yourself to a nice lunch in that area to make it feel like a nice outing.

Edited by sirlynxalot

Okay so I've been wanting to go back ever since so today I had to go somewhere 2/3 of the way there so I decided to go a little further and check back. It's just as I thought, everything was still there. Everyone has huge piles of stuff in their front yard around here in Southwest Florida because of the hurricane. And everybody is on board with getting rid of stuff for some reason. Unfortunately it started getting dark in the middle of when I was looking through the stuff and so I didn't get as much time as I wanted. I managed to get three Atari games. So the good news is, yeah I found three Atari games. The bad news is I only found three and I never found the rest. I never found the ColecoVision  I thought it would be there. If I had more time I might have found it. He had loads of records and I took some of them. He had more 45s than I've ever seen in my life but I didn't bother taking them because they usually don't have as good a sound quality as the 33s. He had a million video tapes, newspapers, and magazines but I didn't take any. I only got a chance to look through maybe half the stuff. Anyway so the point is I found three more games in the wild for free. Baseball is new in the box and the other two games are complete in box. 

IMG_20221023_210349751.jpg

Obviously this isn't the stuff I went there for. I was hoping to find a bag of Atari cartridges or another console. But I guess I can't complain. I got some freebies here. That bottom picture is a vintage Maverick electronic grill.

I don't really want any of those records I just took them cuz I hate to see things get thrown out. So I'm probably just going to sell all those records. I've got my own collection already which is huge

IMG_20221023_210656792.jpg

IMG_20221023_210753299.jpg

IMG_20221023_211115681.jpg

IMG_20221023_211306140.jpg

IMG_20221023_211444432_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20221023_211935006.jpg

That whole area between Sarasota and Fort Myers is still old Florida and not overdeveloped yet (although it's getting there). Before Hurricane Charley hit years ago there used to be some amazing thrift stores/garage sales and I would pick up mint-in-box C64 systems with all peripherals for less than $10. I also found a mint TurboGrafx-16 with all peripherals and a bunch of games for less than $10 as well. I haven't been in that area for many years, but it looks like there are still treasures to be found. Congrats on your find.

Edited by LiqMatrix