IGNORED

LynXjam 2022

Igor

It's that time of the year again! LynXjam 2022 will be starting soon! The theme for this year's jam will be released when the jam starts, but for now you can enjoy the cover art and check out the official jam page here - https://itch.io/jam/lynxjam-2022

Ready, get set, code! 🕹

Update 21-Nov-2022: The theme has been announced, let's see what you all make of it! I've been wanting to do this theme for a while now.

The link to the game template is in this post: 

image.thumb.jpeg.3fb2800cfe670480f5a2305f8e333847.jpeg

Edited by Igor
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

As promised here is a template that can be used to get your game entry going...

ag-lnx-game-template.zip

It requires the release version of CC65 (https://github.com/cc65/cc65/releases/tag/V2.19) as well as sprpck (https://github.com/42Bastian/sprpck).

The support scripts assume either macOS or Linux as your OS, but you should be able to adapt to Windows fairly easily.

There's an assumption that you're familiar with C and Makefiles.

This is a work-in-progress template and I plan to ditch TGI in the future, but for now we have to use parts of CC65 TGI library.

• Like 1

Here's a quick WIP screenshot. Mostly just getting artwork done for the room still. I've got 3 TVs to choose from (CRT, Plasma and LED), there will be various 'WeeMotes' to choose from too, then it's game on with WeeTennis! Try to survive a game without smashing the TV with a flying controller!

image.thumb.png.84b08318a02c29e932f2e4ad9bc85bd5.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thegoodwillgamer said:

Here's a little preview of what I'm working on:
image.gif.751c856531b4cf0d72f5cf34fd291b61.gif

oooh nice! I had to look that one up, sounds fun!

@Fadest shared a fun mock up too (on discord - https://discord.gg/SnDrdJTkUk)

I've decided to go for a more fun looking floor (using GIMP's plasma effect) and a plain looking wall. Think this makes it look nicer IMO.

The TV/Mote/You selection is all done now so I can start on the actual gameplay. Looking forward to seeing how my meta-controls turn out.

Also changed the name to Wee Paddle since I'm not really making a tennis game.

image.thumb.png.06fec87ae1c7d5d7356fda298cdf7b09.png

• Like 4

After taking a long break from programming, I'm back in it and hoping to get something worked up for this Jam.

I'm having problems getting "make" to work correctly. Once this is resolved, I hope to make some serious progress! I've already got most of my graphics done, so maybe I'll have time to get this coded up.

If anyone cares to have a look at that problem, I've asked about it on my old Journal topic.

Edited by OldAtAtari
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 4:03 AM, Igor said:

oooh nice! I had to look that one up, sounds fun!

@Fadest shared a fun mock up too (on discord - https://discord.gg/SnDrdJTkUk)

I've decided to go for a more fun looking floor (using GIMP's plasma effect) and a plain looking wall. Think this makes it look nicer IMO.

The TV/Mote/You selection is all done now so I can start on the actual gameplay. Looking forward to seeing how my meta-controls turn out.

Also changed the name to Wee Paddle since I'm not really making a tennis game.

image.thumb.png.06fec87ae1c7d5d7356fda298cdf7b09.png

Nice color use, though it could be improved (I mean, who choses GREY for their wall color? At least use tan, and is that person a robot or something?)

I understand that would also change the color of the speakers too but then again, it would be a welcome change.

Nice graphics though! Can't wait to see what it'll be about!

11 hours ago, OldAtAtari said:

That problem is sorted out now. Thank you, @obschan and @MichelS!

So I've finally got a picture on the screen. Onwards and upwards!

image.thumb.png.8b8c28109b900fd8a00d06e129b8cc99.png

That 80's child deffinetly needs to cheer up some, and OMG WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS HAND??? You didn't chop his hand off right? :D (just kidding of course!)

Can't wait to see what this game will be like!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Nice color use, though it could be improved (I mean, who choses GREY for their wall color? At least use tan, and is that person a robot or something?)

I understand that would also change the color of the speakers too but then again, it would be a welcome change.

That 80's child deffinetly needs to cheer up some, and OMG WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS HAND??? You didn't chop his hand off right? :D (just kidding of course!)

Thanks, I guess! It's a work in progress. His hand is in his pants pocket. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

The wall was aqua before and the floor was grey, I thought I'd make the floor a bit more fun and the wall a bit boring so not to distract from the action. I'll see if there are enough colours in the palette to change things up, as @OldAtAtari said this is work in progress still.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Igor said:

The wall was aqua before and the floor was grey, I thought I'd make the floor a bit more fun and the wall a bit boring so not to distract from the action. I'll see if there are enough colours in the palette to change things up, as @OldAtAtari said this is work in progress still.

True!

L

M

Post -edit dual post error

Edited by Ecernosoft

14 hours ago, Igor said:

True!

Note that I am only 14 years old (but I am a 6502 assembly coder)

I’ve wanted a lynx since forever but since I own a 7800 (and am aware that the screen isn’t great) I’m not getting one (yet).

I still think that it looks great only having 16 colors. 

Edit: I’ve been reading your documentary on the lynx and it is quite helpful! But WOW! If the 7800 looks so much better hardware wise than the NES, the same goes for the 7800 going to the lynx. I’m baffled at why it didn’t sell better.

Edit: How much did it sell again?

Edited by Ecernosoft
  • Like 2