IGNORED

LynXjam 2022

Igor

5 hours ago, Fadest said:

I tried it this morning, this is fun, nice graphs & animations.

May I suggest some improvements ?

- Double the score (bonus or malus) if catched while doing a trick, as right now, there is no need to make tricks, unless I missed something

- When we do the trick on the ground, our feets should also catch bonus & malus (ie extend the collision zone to legs & feets)

- Maybe same with arms when spinning...

But overall, these are just small remarks, it is a fun entry.

Wow, thanks! Thanks for playing it, and thanks for the really useful feedback.

About the tricks...

- Split (A button) - This is necessary once you've collected 20 hearts. At that point, horizontally scrolling sad faces will start happening, and some of them are so low that there is no other way to avoid them other than to do a split. And you're right, the feet and legs don't catch anything. This was a design decision for two reasons: 1) The coding involved to create the odd-shaped collision shape (an upside-down T) was intimidating at the time, and I sacrificed that in the goal to finish by the deadline. 2) When you split, you can't move left or right, so you're a sitting duck for any falling thing to hit you. And it's really disappointing to do the split to avoid the horizontal face and then get pummeled by sad faces from above. Since then, I've added some code that prevents most sad faces from falling above you when you're doing a split to avoid the horizontal face, so maybe it's time that I revisit that odd-shaped collision shape.

- Spit (B button) - No purpose really. I believe it is coded to have a wider collision area, though a square instead of the more correct lower-case T shape. Again, some more complicated collision coding that I could revisit now. Either way, you can spit and collect a bigger amount of stuff, but it doesn't serve any purpose in dodging the ugly stuff. It's mainly there to have fun with in Disco mode.

I went into this thinking that my absolute deadline was today. But apparently I can go into the game description and update the LYNX file any time I want, so I can keep tweaking, even though the deadline is just about upon us. So I'll keep working on it.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Yes, I have see the horizontal moves after 20 (usually, I was already at 9 bad faces, so have not see for long).
I understand the collision problems, but maybe double score when doing a trick could be possible ?

There should be a cart version with all the games, like previous years, sold for non profit, and 1 cartridge sent to every author for free.

So if you want to make some changes, it will be the revised version that will be included on the cart.

Great job everybody! I'll have to rest a lot this week to recover from this last development stretch but looking forward to play around these mini games.

I'm afraid I went in overambitious once again and couldn't wrap up the scoring mechanism I had in mind. Now its just setting times, but nothing that keeps track of the outcome.. if the jury allows for it I'll make a few more edits and tweaks for the final release for the cartridge.

33 minutes ago, Fadest said:

Yes, I have see the horizontal moves after 20 (usually, I was already at 9 bad faces, so have not see for long).
I understand the collision problems, but maybe double score when doing a trick could be possible ?

There should be a cart version with all the games, like previous years, sold for non profit, and 1 cartridge sent to every author for free.

So if you want to make some changes, it will be the revised version that will be included on the cart.

Oh, I forgot to mention that! I will definitely consider the double-score idea. I like that since you will undoubtedly be collecting negative points when you do a split or spin, it would be good if the positive points were more worthwhile.

Yes, that's right. I'm looking at this now like my true deadline is the moment Atari Gamer downloads the file for the cartridge.

8 minutes ago, Ninjabba said:

Great job everybody! I'll have to rest a lot this week to recover from this last development stretch but looking forward to play around these mini games.

I'm afraid I went in overambitious once again and couldn't wrap up the scoring mechanism I had in mind. Now its just setting times, but nothing that keeps track of the outcome.. if the jury allows for it I'll make a few more edits and tweaks for the final release for the cartridge.

Good job, Ninjabba!

That's my plan. I'll keep making edits until the cartridge is made, unless Atari Gamer tells us that's against the rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Got my entry in with less than 2 hours to go, now it's deff bed time. Looking forward to trying out all the other entries over the next few days!

https://atarigamer.itch.io/angry-motes

image.png.4100eed59a2fbfff46587c1ce000c7f0.png

I still play my Wii on a regular basis.  It's a great system, so I'm looking forward to playing this game. The title of this game is great.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fadest said:

Ok, @Fadest, please re-download my game and try again. You were right, 100%. I put the effort into coding the complex collisions, and it is so much better now. If you are splitting or spinning, everything counts as normal if it hits you in the head or body. But if it hits your outstretched arms or legs, you get extra points. No extra losses for getting negative things, though. The game is hard enough without that.

Speaking of difficulty, I added an extra challenge starting at 30 hearts. It's chaos now.

Thank you for your feedback!

• Like 1

If anyone downloaded Dance, Bro! and installed it on their actual Lynx, please re-download it when convenient for you.

Aside from a few improvements in the new version, this new version has a bug fix. There was an intermittent bug causing it to hang sometimes on the intro screen when played on the actual Lynx (It was fine in Handy). I thought this was caused by my own hardware, but then @thegoodwillgamer saw it on his machine too. I don't know exactly why it was happening, but I took a stab at it and apparently fixed it. I just removed the clock() based timer and replaced it with a simple do-while counter loop in the intro.c code.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I've noticed a bug in my game too where if you watch the intro all the way (instead of skipping it), once the menu screen is shown it will have a vertical line either on the left or right side of the screen and it's filled with garbage pixels.

46 minutes ago, Igor said:

I've noticed a bug in my game too where if you watch the intro all the way (instead of skipping it), once the menu screen is shown it will have a vertical line either on the left or right side of the screen and it's filled with garbage pixels.

Oh I didn't notice that! I'll try to pay attention next time I'm playing it. For me, a get a horizontal row of garbage pixels across the bottom of the screen, which I just posted about today on this forum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year guys!

My DrunkWitch was featured on the @ZeroPage Homebrew stream at the end of the year. It was interesting for me to wake up 4AM in the morning to see what kind of comments I will get. After the stream I decided to make some changes to get DrunkWitch to run smoother on the 7800 NTSC console. And I also added more drinks to be made.

So if someone wants to make a cart of the LynXjam 2022 then please take my latest code. (Or alert me and I type "make").

PS. I make three pull requests to the main cc65. Once these get accepted then you can compile DrunkWitch on either compiler. My old one or the official cc65.

DrunkWitch sources

Winning.thumb.png.46609c3b11edd97b67c6143de94b0dd3.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I played through all the games the other night. Very nice and fun small games from everyone again! 👏😊🎨 Always get a good laugh out of these too.

- Poachin' Jeff. Love the crude humor, great graphics and the game-play ramps up nicely.
- Dance, Bro! Very lovely game. It has that fun and great old school early to mid 80s vibe going on somehow!
- Providing good laughs: DrunkWitch, Twitter Panic, Scooternia and Angry Motes. Quite satisfying smashing the TV in Angry Motes lol.
- I liked the basic idea for crate challenge too. Spent quite a while playing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 9:18 PM, karri said:

Happy New Year guys!

My DrunkWitch was featured on the @ZeroPage Homebrew stream at the end of the year. It was interesting for me to wake up 4AM in the morning to see what kind of comments I will get. After the stream I decided to make some changes to get DrunkWitch to run smoother on the 7800 NTSC console. And I also added more drinks to be made.

So if someone wants to make a cart of the LynXjam 2022 then please take my latest code. (Or alert me and I type "make").

PS. I make three pull requests to the main cc65. Once these get accepted then you can compile DrunkWitch on either compiler. My old one or the official cc65.

DrunkWitch sources

Winning.thumb.png.46609c3b11edd97b67c6143de94b0dd3.png

934166158_5thAnnualAtariHomebrewAwards(2022)-AtariLynxBestHomebrew.jpg.27a1b6509b0bf9fbdb20a82b100fb71d.thumb.jpg.e9269fbab043162d8caddda7414bbd63.jpg

How nice!

You can cast your votes here:

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
57 minutes ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Hi @Nop90! Long time no see. I've had a looong retro break too (life stuff). Just out of curiosity, did you develop some games for some other systems meanwhile?

No, did not code at all. I did nothing else than caring my family and managing an important job position that drained all my energy for two years.

Now I have a less stressing job role and I'm recovering my health, so I'm very happy to return to my passion 😄.

• Like 5

Yep there will be a jam this year and I was thinking the other day where you disappeared to @Nop90, so it's good to hear that you're back.

@karri the tile set will require some thinking outside the box for this jam, but it definitely has a specific style/theme and game type that it's aimed at. It will be discouraged to blindly go with the type of game this tile set is aimed at making though.

• Like 2