IGNORED

5200 joysticks are not a problem. You just don't know the secret.

grownup

I probably should have posted this many years ago. I apologize for your years of frustration over something that could have been easily fixed. I bought my 5200 in the 90s. Yes, the joystick buttons didn't work but I easily fixed them and you can too. Afterward, your 5200 sticks will be your favorites. I fixed mine in the 90s.

You will need to purchase METAL duct tape. I think it's made with aluminum. Open up the joystick housing. Look at the back side of the rubber buttons. The metallic coating has disintegrated. With precise scissors, cut tiny pieces of the tape and stick it on them instead.

Put the controller back together.

Problem fixed 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grownup said:

I probably should have posted this many years ago. I apologize for your years of frustration over something that could have been easily fixed. I bought my 5200 in the 90s. Yes, the joystick buttons didn't work but I easily fixed them and you can too. Afterward, your 5200 sticks will be your favorites. I fixed mine in the 90s.

You will need to purchase METAL duct tape. I think it's made with aluminum. Open up the joystick housing. Look at the back side of the rubber buttons. The metallic coating has disintegrated. With precise scissors, cut tiny pieces of the tape and stick it on them instead.

Put the controller back together.

Problem fixed 

This is a decent quick fix, and I've done similar ones on my 5200 controllers.  But what if the problem is a broken mylar, oxidation on the contacts, or bad pots?

FWIW, I've also seen all three of those problems happen (sometimes in combination with each other), and have controllers where I've done this type of fix with mixed results at best.

29 minutes ago, grownup said:

Ok, maybe the problems are more complex than I thought. Mines in real good condition

I've been using that method for just over 20 years now. I even did a detailed instruction guide on refurbishing them using this method as part of my technical writing class in the early 2000s. 

The tape I use these days can be found in most hardware stores as it is HVAC duct tape. You can also use Chrome repair tape found in most auto parts stores. That will give you a smaller bit of it that will also work. I've even used thin copper foil for this, but that doesn't seem to stick as well and being copper, it will tarnish the alum traces under it quicker due to the different metals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 5:30 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've been using that method for just over 20 years now. I even did a detailed instruction guide on refurbishing them using this method as part of my technical writing class in the early 2000s. 

The tape I use these days can be found in most hardware stores as it is HVAC duct tape. You can also use Chrome repair tape found in most auto parts stores. That will give you a smaller bit of it that will also work. I've even used thin copper foil for this, but that doesn't seem to stick as well and being copper, it will tarnish the alum traces under it quicker due to the different metals.

Given a single roll will cover you for life, why not use the copper stuff?  Is there a good technical reason not to use it?  It costs more money, but not that much.

On 10/30/2022 at 6:59 PM, christo930 said:

Given a single roll will cover you for life, why not use the copper stuff?  Is there a good technical reason not to use it?  It costs more money, but not that much.

You can use the copper if you want but it is a different metal from the aluminum used in the flex and I don't typically like mixing different metals together for contacts. And as you said a roll of the stuff will last you a lifetime most likely so why spend more for it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GlamMetalTapes said:

The best fixes are usually the easiest.  Reminds me of that Dreamcast fix for resetting consoles which is just smack the bottom of the system multiple times and somehow it fixes the issue for a while.

Don't know about smacking the bottom of any of the ones I had, but the DC is the only console that I've had the worst luck with in regards to lasers dying out. I've gone through more of those than any other console in my collection. When the lasers would die I would start to have to place the DC on its side in order to get it to load up games and then could carefully set it back down upright and it would play fine, until the next game I wanted to load.

Another thing that is possible but more expensive to do on the 5200 controller. Is that it is possible to install the same dome discs that were used on the 2600 controllers into the 5200. While I didn't do it with all of the buttons as I didn't have enough of the domes on hand, I did install them on the Start,Pause,and Reset portion of my test best controller and those have worked great! You have to tape them into place of course and it does require having to cut and remove the carbon pads from the buttons so it will all fit, but that is another idea.

On 11/14/2022 at 6:55 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Don't know about smacking the bottom of any of the ones I had, but the DC is the only console that I've had the worst luck with in regards to lasers dying out. I've gone through more of those than any other console in my collection. When the lasers would die I would start to have to place the DC on its side in order to get it to load up games and then could carefully set it back down upright and it would play fine, until the next game I wanted to load.

Another thing that is possible but more expensive to do on the 5200 controller. Is that it is possible to install the same dome discs that were used on the 2600 controllers into the 5200. While I didn't do it with all of the buttons as I didn't have enough of the domes on hand, I did install them on the Start,Pause,and Reset portion of my test best controller and those have worked great! You have to tape them into place of course and it does require having to cut and remove the carbon pads from the buttons so it will all fit, but that is another idea.

That's an interesting means of adding dome switches. And people said it couldn't be done with the mylar.

Mind you, there was a guy in the Facebook group who claimed his dad - who was an electrical engineer - made his own PCBs and installed them in their 5200 joysticks back in the day to get around all of the tom foolery.