Donkey Kong

ROM Name: Donkey Kong (US Set 1)

ROM File: dkong

Picked by: MAME Offender

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED ) :

Bonus: 7000

Lives:  3

Console Side-Quest:

The theme is firsts!  For 2 bonus points post a screenshot of a score on one of the very first home console or computer video games you remember playing in your life.  Emulators are fine.   

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday November 6, 11:59pm PST

Previous Round Results:

NONE YET

Standings to Date:

NONE YET

dkong.zip nitrobal.zip

I've got a bit of a busy weekend so I wanted to get this posted early.  The round will still run until 2 weeks from Sunday.  

New for this competition will be the "console side-quest" where each round there will be an opportunity to earn some bonus points.  Participation in this part is purely optional; the goal is simply to get everyone playing and talking about games.  

Thanks to all who submitted game suggestions to the pool.  New games can be added throughout the competition if you're a newcomer or if you have not yet provided 10 entries.  

Welcome to the new MAME HSC!

CYN

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow we're playing DK first round 😀

The first home game I remember seeing: Surround on 2600, but I didn't play.  My uncles played and when they saw how much I wanted to... they packed up the Atari & took the gaming into another room! 

Rats.

I was gonna rock their world too...

.. the first one I actually played??   My cousin had a 2600 & a bunch of games. . I don't know which one I played first but it must have been either Pac-Man or Space Invaders or Frogger or Jungle Hunt.  I also remember playing a couple computer games at a fellow math-nerd's house.  One was Jungle Hunt and one was a skiing game with ASCII graphics.  The one that apparently stands out twice is Jungle Hunt, so I'm going with that!!   I think it might have been this one on the Apple II

edit:  Actually the graphics looked like this one but I don't remember it having color.  Did the Apple I have Jungle Hunt I wonder?

Jungle Hunt (AII) [e] 2600.jpg

Jungle Hunt (Apple II): 2,600 points!

Edited by S.BAZ

Realizing that human memory is notoriously unreliable, my best recollection is that the very first video game I ever played was 2600 Space Invaders, at a neighborhood kid’s house.  My mom and his mom were friends, and I learned what a “video game” was in the car on the way over there that day.  It was a sunny day and his mom made us play outside first before we could play Atari, which was a drag.  But eventually it was game on.  I remember Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and Combat that day.  We would get our Atari a few months later. 

6270B6CB-22BA-4725-9378-905F560CE2A3.jpeg

• Like 1

Nitroball:  2,306,310

2306310.png

(btw, the first home console game I ever saw was Surround (Atari 2600).  I was 4 years old, I know because I remember when we moved from that house.  My uncles busted out the Atari & started playing this game.  I didn't know the name but I understood what was going on & loved it & wanted to play!  But they said no and packed up the Atari & went into one of the bedrooms.  :(  Rats!  A couple years later I played it at my cousin's house and learned the name.  ...A few years after that my uncle gave us the Atari!  Good things come to those forced to wait)

DK (18th attempt):  115,500

Donkey Kong (MAME) 115500.jpg

Edited by S.BAZ

On 11/1/2022 at 5:10 AM, Cynicaster said:

Don’t forget all, in order to receive credit for your console side quest submission you need to actually play the game and post a score.  👾

Oh!  I misread that.  That Jungle Hunt picture was not my score -- re-reading it now I should have known  🤪

I'll see what I can do...

Nitroball (17th Attempt):  6,361,920  3,631,920  [corrected]

6361920.png

Donkey Kong (36th Attempt):  180,300

180300.png

DK dumped a barrel on my head as I was climbing the ladder directly beneath him.

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, S.BAZ said:

Oh!  I misread that.  That Jungle Hunt picture was not my score -- re-reading it now I should have known  🤪

I'll see what I can do...

Nitroball (17th Attempt):  6,361,920

6361920.png

Donkey Kong (36th Attempt):  180,300

180300.png

DK dumped a barrel on my head as I was climbing the ladder directly beneath him.

Nice score @S.BAZ

• Like 1