IGNORED

Cartesian Chaos (Final)

Karl G

The idea for this game came from watching @ZeroPage Homebrew's playthrough of Atari 2600 games. Late in the run was a game called Universal Chaos, which is an unofficial port of the arcade game Targ. I had not heard of either game previously. The Atari port is fun to play, but it seems like a pretty rushed port with some visual glitches. The arcade game seems pretty cool, but the visuals are not the greatest.

Anyway - I was inspired to make my own Targ-like game with hopefully better visuals, and slightly different gameplay. The core mechanics are the same, but the "boss" is replaced by a bomber that plants mines. This mechanic is still under development, and will likely evolve.

181705218_ScreenShot2022-10-22at8_15_34AM.thumb.png.658115e9f1d7ce1c7f46c354fc27a65f.png

The hyperspace grid is under attack by drones sent by the evil Vincular, who wish to subvert it for their own use in their quest to dominate the galaxy. You are a renowned pilot serving the Collective of Allied Species, and have been tasked with remotely piloting a special ship designed to destroy these drones, and keep the hyperspace grid safe and free for all to use. Good luck with your mission!

Instructions: Navigate the grid with your joystick, and use the joystick button to fire a missile. Your ship has 3 speeds, as indicated by the ship engine color, and the speed of the in-game music: blue is slowest, yellow is medium-speed, and red is the fastest. You may turn at intersections. You can turn around completely by pressing the joystick the opposite direction of your ship's movement, but it takes a small amount of time to reverse your momentum (more time if you are moving fast, and less if you are moving slowly).

Technical notes: This is a 32K game made with 7800Basic and using 160A mode. I'm happy with my choice of toolset and graphics mode. Sound is TIA, with all SFX in one channel, and music in the other channel.

This is an early WIP, and likely has some bugs I haven't found yet, as well as features that are not fully fleshed-out like the bomber. Feedback on gameplay and fun-factor is definitely appreciated!

Version 11 - Final (12/18/2022):

CartesianChaos-11.a78

CartesianChaos-11.bin

• Like 19

As far as the photo shown in your post, in my opinion it looks like it could be hard to make turns and keep an eye on exactly where your ship is going since your path is a skinny line. Assuming that every board would look similar?? I am not familiar with the arcade but just checked out a quick video of it. Your path is much wider and easier on the eyes. Another game that comes to mind is Spectar for the Colecovision. Hope what I am saying makes any sense. But I am looking forward to this game and seeing more, great job.

• Like 1

Just now, AtariBrian said:

As far as the photo shown in your post, in my opinion it looks like it could be hard to make turns and keep an eye on exactly where your ship is going since your path is a skinny line. Assuming that every board would look similar?? I am not familiar with the arcade Targ, but just checked out a quick video of it. Your path is much wider and easier on the eyes. Another game that comes to mind is Spectar for the Colecovision. Hope what I am saying makes any sense. But I am looking forward to this game and seeing more, great job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtariBrian said:

As far as the photo shown in your post, in my opinion it looks like it could be hard to make turns and keep an eye on exactly where your ship is going since your path is a skinny line. Assuming that every board would look similar?? I am not familiar with the arcade but just checked out a quick video of it. Your path is much wider and easier on the eyes. Another game that comes to mind is Spectar for the Colecovision. Hope what I am saying makes any sense. But I am looking forward to this game and seeing more, great job.

Yeah; this is just a visual difference between the original and my version - instead of navigating between buildings, you are navigating along a grid. Turning should work the same as both are "maze" style games with specific paths to follow. It didn't occur to me that some might have more trouble with turns based on my chosen visual presentation. If you try the game and find this to be the case, please let me know.

Things that still need to be done:

• Refine the bomber/mine-laying mechanics (still figuring out where I want to go with this)
  • Collision-detection between enemies. The 2600 port ignores this, but the arcade has the enemies switch directions if they hit each other. That means 45 different collision checks to cover all combinations of 10 enemies, though.
  • Title screen

I've uploaded version 2 to the first post. The only change is a tweak to the controls for turning. Basically the code now has some lingering "memory" of turns for a few frames, more when the ship is slower, and less when it is faster. The idea is for the turning controls to feel less "stiff". I think this version does that, but I also left the original version in case anyone wants to compare them. For ease of comparison, here are the js7800 links for both versions:

Old steering version

New steering version

• Like 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Cartesian Chaos on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

289062286_20221025-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.831c6e88a5d20f446f83ddef7d93cef1.jpg

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Easy to play, difficult to master. I’m hooked. I’ve been playing the New Steering version for the last hour. Here’s my best so far. Btw, I really like the in-game music.👍

That's great to hear! I've passed along the music feedback to Maggie. :)

• Like 2

Version 4 added to the first post. This one adds a two-player "versus mode". Player 2 controls the white-tipped drone, and the others are still controlled by the computer. If the white-tipped drone is destroyed, then one of the other remaining drones is "promoted" to player 2 control, continuing until only player 1 and player 2 remain on the level. Gameplay is otherwise identical.

Note that the ROM size is now 32K. The game actually only uses 16K at the moment, but the addition of title music will likely push it over that. I can't envision it ever needing more space than 32K, however.

• Like 3

Version 5 added to the first post. Changes include:

• Added Easy and Hard modes
  • Fix for bonus points above wave 9
  • Mines remaining at end of level now subtract 100 each from bonus points

Easy mode: Start with 4 spare lives instead of 3, and enemy speed ramps up more slowly from wave to wave.

Hard mode: Enemies are twice as likely to turn at intersections. That's it, but it makes more of a difference than you would think, especially when the final 3 are gunning for you.

I may tweak each of these modes later, but this is a starting point, at least.

• Like 7

Version 6 added to the first post. The game now says "GAME OVER" at the end of a game, but the biggest change is the addition of a two-player co-op mode.

Two-player co-op mode:

• Two player ships are on the screen at the same time
  • Both players share the same score, and pool of reserve lives
  • Player shots do not hurt the other player's ship
  • If there are no reserve lives, and one player's ship gets destroyed, then the other player finishes the game on their own
  • If the players' ships crash into each other, then two lives are lost from the reserve lives
  • No background music in two-player co-op mode because 1) I need the extra TIA sound channel, and 2) the speed of the music was tied to the speed of the player's ship, which can't be done for both ships

37755940_ScreenShot2022-11-04at10_27_15AM.thumb.png.c1cad5df710d40f2311c6136a677da1e.png

• Like 4