IGNORED

DO NOT READ. This thread is bad.

Ecernosoft

Disclaimer: This game is a sequel to ICT2 on ATARI 2600, NOT ATARI 7800. (There is no ICT2 on the 7800)

WARNING: If you still decided to read the posts on this thread, realise that I made some mega mistakes. I said some less than plesant things on this thread. I'm trying to resolve the conflicts that happened. So you know.

Hello Atariage!

So, @ZeroPage Homebrew reviewed ICT1 on 7800 (No, ICT1 7800 and the other ICT games aren't related!) and gave me some good advice. And also, I wanted to come back to the 7800.

Due to the simplicity of my level compression method, it's much easier to make levels. So this game WILL actually have something to play other than the first world.

Story:

After saving Princess Dililah and retreiving the first chaos diamond (Hmm, I wonder where that came from) (ICT1 2600) and defeating the Turbomachine (ICT2 2600), Turbo was fed up. He overtook the queen's castle in dreamland! The viruses continued to spread. (They aren't here yet ;) )

Not just that, but you also must get the 5 other chaos diamonds to get the good ending!! 

Edit: I might not achieve all of this, but I'm going to try and get 5 zones plus a final boss room.

Current development status:

Player stuffs: No momentum implemented, but you can die (By going off the screen) and you can walk through ceilings. You can't walk through walls.

Sunset plains: Complete minus the viruses (Enemies) and music.

Grand ledge: After beating Sunset plains, this zone is skipped because minus the name and color data, it doesn't exist!

Zeropage city: Complete minus the viruses (Enemies) and music.

Aqua beach: Act A complete. Minus the enemies. Working on act B.

The badlands: It's name is in the ROM.

Final zone: It's name is in the rom.

Special stage: It works, but you can't loose. It's name is also in the ROM.

Here it is:ICT3 V16.0.a78; This update includes the A78 file header.

Source:ICT3 V16.0 (2).a.a78;  (THIS IS ASSEMBLY CODE, NOT 7800BASIC!!!) <-- This is supposed to be a .a file =/

But I don't belong here. My posting habits aren't good on forums like these and more people are getting a negative view on me like @Eagle complaining I post too much (Because I do). 

Anyway:

Updates:

V1.0: None of these (Below)

V1.1: .A78 file header included as well as "real" level data

V2.1: Platforming physics!

V3.0: "Title screen" included. Jumping and falling speeds are doubled (2 pix per frame instead of 1) for less floaty controls until I implement X and Y momentum.

V4.0: Improvements (No gfx glitch, screen moved down some)

V5.0: Fixes massive level design errror introduced in 4.0

V5.5: I honestly can't remember ;) probably improving on V5.0 (This was because I wrote this during V6.0 releasing)

V6.0: The second level was added as well as intro screens (Beta)

V6.5: Fixes the level increment bug present in ICT3 V6.0.

V7.0: Sunset plains act 3 finished

V7.5: Zeropage city (Yes, I am doing the third zone before the second) act 1 implented! 

V8.0: Now Zeropage city doesn't look like an eyesore. 😃👌

V8.5: Now the file has the Version number, and Zeropage city act B is in a "Sudo-complete" stage, minus the enemies. (AND DON'T SAY ADD ENEMIES, I'M GOING TO!!)

V8.75: Adds hotels to Act 2 of ZPC. That's it. 

V9.0: Adds hearts, a counter (image.png.181c98b2f216b1d7ce56d5e0de3836be.png) for said hearts, and changes RAM layout. (I believe this is the first game to have 2 overlaping CHAR sprites!) (Note: Changed "Coins" to "hearts" as of V13.0's release)

V9.5: Ceiling hit code temporarily disabled due to an error in ZPC.

V10.0: Zeropage city act 3 implemented!

V10.5: Scores (Bugged, it shows 2x the real score) and special stages (see criteria to enter!) implemented, however it says act D.

V11.0: Fixes bug in titlecard display (It was showing doublebyte chars instead of singlebyte) and HOPEFULLY removes the gfx glitches.

V11.25: Removes one last gfx glitch, as well as the special stages actually say "Special stage"

V11.5: Aqua beach in development, as well as adds 1up (When you get 100 coins)

V12.0: Aqua beach continued, as well as the chaos diamond at the end of each special stage gives you a 1up, as well as fixing the score bug, password generation (So you can input that same code another time) after hitting reset, and you can die (By falling off the screen). Hitting INPT1 (Again, Idk which side) will let you go fast. I also plan to add the supra peel out (I had too much fun with the supra speed glitch in ICT1 and was sad when I patched it, so the supra peel out is coming to ICT3!) but it only works if you have more than 30 hearts, but the longer you use it, the less hearts you have.

V12.5: Act 1 of aqua beach complete as well as wall collision.

V13.0: Every game is personalized.

V13.25: Fixed a gfx glitch in V13.0 as well as added "Water" in the background of Aqua beach.

V13.5: Aqua beach graphics update! It also cycles the "Second" color palette to simulate the water moving. Also, time bonuses have been added. See the point rewards for more info.

V13.75: When you get a game over, it actually brings you to the title screen. (Before it just turned Conner's eyes black) It also makes it so that the amount of time you wait on the titlecard is always 96 frames instead of only the first time, and then 256 frames every time you saw it afterwards.

V14.0: In Aqua beach act B, jump into the water to enter the water section.

V14.1: Removed internet violence. (The screensaver)

V16.0: (I skipped 15.0) Grand ledge acts A and C added.

To enter a special stage, collect the required amount of hearts shown below, and it is different from zone to zone. NOTE: You must collect ALL the hearts in the zone, you can't enter if you have, say, 32 hearts. in Zeropage city, but only collected 16 coins in the current act. So, if you want to enter, you must get ?? hearts in the act you are IN.

Unlike ICT1 however, you CAN go backwards, and I'll make sure to have way less pits (And much better controls) for ZPH's sake. ;) 

If you can't tell, this is based on Somari The adventurer mixed with ICT2's adventure theme and my better knowledge of the 7800.

image.thumb.png.e57265076fa304f1e5e345cd32346bc3.png; Like ICT1 and ICT2 (2600), ICT3 will use my "Screen block" compression method. If you want to use it, I can explain it to you.

Required heart values to enter a special stage:

Sunset plains: 30

Grand ledge: 35

Zeropage city: 40

Aqua beach: 45

The Badlands: 50

Final zone: 0 (Technically this is 256)

Please tell me what you think! And do you think ICT3 is a improvement over ICT1?

image.thumb.png.004695cd5e1c4c60317583bd2777ff4a.png; This is the V6.0 title-screen, included in practically every version past 6.0, but before 10.5.

image.thumb.png.2ed48444785cf3ffefa9770cbd8d8acf.png ; This is the 10.5 title-screen. It will also show your previous score. but it's bugged (The number displayed is 2x the actual score!)

Point rewards:

10 for collecting a heart

100 per each 256 frame interval left. (You start with 64 intervals, and you loose one every ~4 seconds)

image.png.101aace86bd5af6b81b2005d726ebecb.png; Press enter to change an icon, press select to move the cursor. Press a direction to start!

image.thumb.png.34bdd9c3ed7ce0a0e8ae53ff1b1c8ef2.png; Title cards

image.thumb.png.6b64a0389b3b22a7c70f02ed3273916a.png; Various screens

image.thumb.png.95dbb76d795d236d6d0cc5983aefe876.png

image.png.e77a3c25a80b2f12c812f86dec34af44.png; This is the stop sign. Pass it to spin it. You can't just stand on it though, otherwise it'll never change to green.

image.png.101aace86bd5af6b81b2005d726ebecb.png; On the title screen, press select to move your cursor and Start to change the current character. This is why you don't press start to begin the game.

Only the first character actually does anything (It selects the act you want, but since there's only one zone it doesn't say other things, and after Act B you will get broken levels.)

Note: You may notice the 8th character changing as you input different chars. (The block below is the cursor) This is the checksum, but it won't do this in the final, and will have different conditions to meet. Each time you get a game over, a code will already be inputed into the password select so you can take a photo of it and enter the code later. (This is also because me as a developer I need a way to not play the entire game whenever I want to debug a high level) However, the current method will be changed and also the checksum won't enter itself for you (Sorry). The checksum is basically the way to make it hard to just enter a code and beat the game like that. And there may be more than 1 if I don't need the full 35 bits.

Since this is a pre-release version, here is how the passcode works:

XXXXXXXXX

| | | | | | | |

| | | | | | | Checksum 

| | | | | | If this char is an S then Debug is enabled. Right on 2nd joy = SUPER SPEED Left on 2nd joy = Beat level Down on joy

| | | | | Lower 5 bits of Coins

| | | | Nothing, will probably be made into different checksum

| | | Prevlevel (Important for special stages)

| | Upper 3 bits of Coins (This is due to the fact that each icon is only 5 bits worth of data)

| Lives number

Level select

Notice: Minus A, B, and C are also there. (Using the level select, only A and B are accessible, but by beating MINUS B act D (Shouldn't exist but is a byproduct of the level count system, and a not-real act D exists for every zone) you can get to MINUS C, which to my knowledge, is un-beatable.

image.thumb.png.59b8576eadabb32f9cb855a1a62a114f.png; This is what Zeropage city used to look like, and oh god, my eyes... Zeropage city represents basically any city you can think of.

In fact, every zone is based off a zone from a different game/experience/location!

Sunset Plains = Green hill zone (Not just from Sonic 1, but from Somari as well, that's where the color comes from)

Grand Ledge = It's actually a place, and also inspired by jungle zone from Sonic 1 8 bit

ZeroPage City = Pac land city area, @ZeroPage Homebrew (Thanks for reviewing ICT1!), Sparkling zone (Sonic 1 proto)

Aqua Beach = Basically any beach, Beach runner, Texas 

The Badlands: A place in Conner's dream land 2 (A book I wrote, but never made into an actual book lol)

Final zone: Final zone from Sonic 1, Turbo's castle 

Here are the names for the other zones in the ICT3 font:

image.png.a5e4699181d2650cdcae56cf2a890495.png

image.png.008425a9ba5391c4168f4a364c255cae.png

image.png.a6a854b79580a55de19617836ab2e1db.png

image.png.5b01c84b8d815f5e8bbb267352fa1fe9.png

image.png.478a0ac2a154a0a0f7afefc7eab9c344.png; Not sure why a dot appears there, that must be an error in the L sprite.

image.png.a46ca540bd9d30863994dc50105b741a.png

image.png; This is what Zeropage city NOW looks like in V8.5 and up, however 8.5 adds some more hearts.

image.thumb.png.5c386aceb781eea6eb07efee24dfa368.png; This is what Aqua beach looks like in V12.0. Very basic. And the badlands island isn't visible.

image.png.354f1ee19e3a9a41ba68dbf92dd94952.pngimage.png.df8bad681c4f2e2adfe91b17e6a00999.png; In V13.0 and upwards, wait 12 seconds and Conner gets irritated, just like in ICT2 2600 and Sonic.

image.thumb.png.39b810c8c9856ec0f4d1ec1bce0a4329.png; Here's how ICT3 looks in 13.25. The flowers will be replaced with a water texture, hence the flowers.

image.thumb.png.caa9520dcd16697043c33e74c6526ba3.png; Here's how Aqua beach looks as of V13.5. The second (Water) color palette also cycles through the colors to simiulate movement. (Note: The white box is not supposed to show up)

image.thumb.png.f6a0ac28fdcfa910707921e93e69ad36.png; Grand ledge act A

image.thumb.png.9a855c04ab86ef233f3edee82f326714.png; I hope you like swimming, because you're going to swim in Aqua beach act B after falling into the water.

Edited by Ecernosoft
This is a bad thread.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RevEng said:

You should only use the a78 extension when your rom has an a78 header present. Yours doesn't, which is why people have trouble running your stuff. What your shared is a .bin file.

Check out the A78 Header Specification document for more info.

That's true, I haven't added the header yet- but I will!

It will use the same header as ICT1.

Next update I'll add that.

Edit: Done!

Edit edit: By done, I meant the feature, not the game. 

Edited by Ecernosoft
  • Like 1

The graphics are looking pretty good so far. Jumping feels way too permissive, and it seems like the max distance you can jump up gets "reset" if you pass through a tile you can land on, leading to some absurdly high jumps.

On a7800 at least, there seem to be a number of graphical glitches, including artifact graphics of the main character on the bottom of the screen if he touches there, and inconsistent length for the last visible scan line. Some of the screens seem to have corrupted character graphics as well, including partial trees, etc.

1673572632_ScreenShot2022-10-24at10_41_11AM.thumb.png.b29f6b51bf6e2054df2c59159a8e9e1b.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Karl G said:

The graphics are looking pretty good so far. Jumping feels way too permissive, and it seems like the max distance you can jump up gets "reset" if you pass through a tile you can land on, leading to some absurdly high jumps.

On a7800 at least, there seem to be a number of graphical glitches, including artifact graphics of the main character on the bottom of the screen if he touches there, and inconsistent length for the last visible scan line. Some of the screens seem to have corrupted character graphics as well, including partial trees, etc.

1673572632_ScreenShot2022-10-24at10_41_11AM.thumb.png.b29f6b51bf6e2054df2c59159a8e9e1b.png

The next version will fix some more issues.

Edit: Done!

Edited by Ecernosoft

7 hours ago, Karl G said:

All of that is THE MINUS WORLD.

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

All of that is THE MINUS WORLD.

I know you are fond of minus worlds, but I would either save it for later in development, or make it a lot harder to stumble into. It makes it more difficult for people to give useful feedback for your game as you develop it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I know you are fond of minus worlds, but I would either save it for later in development, or make it a lot harder to stumble into. It makes it more difficult for people to give useful feedback for your game as you develop it. 

The MINUS world exists since I haven't patched it out yet. Although, every ICT game (Minus ICT1 2600 since it wasn't interesting) WILL have an accessable MINUS WORLD unless it's one of two things:

1. Boring to play

2. Practically impossible <-- Technically ICT1 had this kind of minus world, but that was because most of the ROM space in ICT1 is either $FF or $00, leading to "The wall of death".

I plan for ICT3 to have a "Password system" which will fill in as I plan to have 16 levels and 5 zones (The 16 level will be the final boss room) and if Development is fast enough (And I have enough ROM space left over) then I might expand that to 25 or 30 levels (And 8 or 10 zones, although to limited gfx space in a 52 or 48K ROM, I might have "Repeat zones".)

Edit: It would work similar to this:

|| || || ||

|| || || |Conner state

|| || || Lives (Partially included in Conner state, upper 2 bits of Cstate = lowest 2 of Lives)

|| || Level ID (This will serve as a level select, and only work if criteria is met) 

|| Coins

Checksum (to make sure it's a valid code, will probably be implemented in final and have cryptic conditions)

Edited by Ecernosoft

Hello again!

If possible, I'd like someone to test this on DRAGONFLY. ICT1 doesn't work on DRAGONFLY and therefore I need playtesters!

Also, for X axis movement I have 2 options:
1. Leave it as it is and pressing the button just doubles you're speed INSTANTLY, and then unpressing it sets it to NORMAL

2. Have Horizontal momentum similar to ICT1 but with less "Skidding" time as turning around in ICT1 after going at full speed isn't fast!

I am going to implement Y axis momentum and powerups too though.

3 hours ago, gambler172 said:

Checked it on Dragonfly... no work at all.

You should ask Rafal. He is the developer and can tell you, why it does not work

Hmmm, ok.

Is he on AA?

Also, it does work on Concerto. It's weird that it works on Concerto and NOT dragonfly, because a lot of games are vice-versa.

On 10/24/2022 at 10:49 AM, Karl G said:

I tried the latest version again in a7800. The graphics artifacts at the bottom of the screen are gone, but the other issues I mentioned remain. I also found in Sunset Plains Act C there was a place where after I get the 3 hears that part of the trunk of the palm tree also gets erased.

15418230_ScreenShot2022-10-30at2_51_55PM.thumb.png.22977fdb1073f9a9aad05760b17848a9.png

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I tried the latest version again in a7800. The graphics artifacts at the bottom of the screen are gone, but the other issues I mentioned remain. I also found in Sunset Plains Act C there was a place where after I get the 3 hears that part of the trunk of the palm tree also gets erased.

15418230_ScreenShot2022-10-30at2_51_55PM.thumb.png.22977fdb1073f9a9aad05760b17848a9.png

Hey, I'm literally just about to release V8.0, so check that out! No new levels, just improving on the existing ones.

Edit: The palmtree glitch will get fixed, it works on any palm-tree with a heart next to it. Theoreticaly, you can erase any block that doesn't have collision by abusing the hearts. 

Edited by Ecernosoft

I realise that this was mentioned before, but please have your filenames reflect the version of the game they contain

On 10/23/2022 at 11:26 AM, Ecernosoft said:

Here it is: ICT3 (17).a78; This update includes the A78 file header.

Source:ICT3 (14).a ;  (THIS IS ASSEMBLY CODE, NOT 7800BASIC!!!)

Updates:

V1.0: None of these (Below)

V1.1: .A78 file header included as well as "real" level data

V2.1: Platforming physics!

V3.0: "Title screen" included. Jumping and falling speeds are doubled (2 pix per frame instead of 1) for less floaty controlls until I implement X and Y momentum.

V4.0: Improvements (No gfx glitch, screen moved down some)

V5.0: Fixes massive level design errror introduced in 4.0

V5.5: I honestly can't remember ;) probably improving on V5.0 (This was because I wrote this during V6.0 releasing)

V6.0: The second level was added as well as intro screens (Beta)

V6.5: Fixes the level increment bug present in ICT3 V6.0.

V7.0: Sunset plains act 3 finished

V7.5: Zeropage city (Yes, I am doing the third zone before the second) act 1 implented! 

Unlike ICT1 however, you CAN go backwards, and I'll make sure to have way less pits (And much better controls) for ZPH's sake. ;) 

If you can't tell, this is based on Somari The adventurer mixed with ICT2's adventure theme and my better knowledge of the 7800.

You've got updates listed with filenames that cannot be tied to a specific update version.  It's even more confusing that the version number of your assembly source doesn't match the number in the (presumably) corresponding binary's filename.  This makes it impossible for anyone reading the filename to know what it is that they're likely looking at, and runs contrary to established development practices.

This probably makes sense in your head, and I get it - you're looking at the entire process and likely know which file contains what.  For the rest of the world that doesn't live in your head, it's not reasonable to expect us to know this.  Again, please have your filenames reflect the version of the game they contain.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I realise that this was mentioned before, but please have your filenames reflect the version of the game they contain

You've got updates listed with filenames that cannot be tied to a specific update version.  It's even more confusing that the version number of your assembly source doesn't match the number in the (presumably) corresponding binary's filename.  This makes it impossible for anyone reading the filename to know what it is that they're likely looking at, and runs contrary to established development practices.

This probably makes sense in your head, and I get it - you're looking at the entire process and likely know which file contains what.  For the rest of the world that doesn't live in your head, it's not reasonable to expect us to know this.  Again, please have your filenames reflect the version of the game they contain.

Yeah... true.

I didn't change the name since... well... laziness.

I appreciate you telling me this, since this will be corrected for now on. (Once V8.5 releases)

33 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

bug/glitch : if you jump while colliding with a column or building, you keep jumping. Feels like it's resetting the jump while the char is touching the "ground".

It's because currently I'm working on the level design, because with ICT1, I ran into an issue where my guy couldn't jump high enough to certain platforms, making me waste time fixing the level design.

This will change, as I will implement a "Must let go before jumping again" feature for the jump button.

The physics aren't final either.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

image.png.8b1c007818bdcbc46a8ca24052b704d3.png; Done!!! 😃 

Dude, I heard you. The new files have the CORRECT version number.

Edit: What, is there a place in the source file that says a file number?

Edited by Ecernosoft
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

Edit: What, is there a place in the source file that says a file number?

No - what was happening was that the source filename was using the same numbering format as the executable to show revisions, but the version number in the source file's name didn't match the executable's version number.  For example:

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Here it is: ICT3 (17).a78; This update includes the A78 file header.

Source:ICT3 (14).a ;  (THIS IS ASSEMBLY CODE, NOT 7800BASIC!!!)

Note that the executable's version is shown as 17, whereas the source version is shown as 14.  This added to the confusion, because it wasn't clear if the source was correct or not for the version of the executable that was available.

Either way, it's a moot point now, and thank you for fixing it.  It'll make life a lot easier knowing for certain which version is the one being looked at ;-)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Either way, it's a moot point now, and thank you for fixing it.  It'll make life a lot easier knowing for certain which version is the one being looked at ;-)

Yep. I know- it was dumb of me to not do that.

15 minutes ago, Eagle said:

@Ecernosoft Look at this @NRV open platform source code for A8

I believe that could help you little bit.

image.thumb.png.1e89f6a4cd1f6a917d897f52eb776877.png

open_plat.zip 49.92 kB · 0 downloads

Hmmm... is that ASM?

Can't help if it's not. =/ 

24 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I don't think he was asking you to help, I think it was more of a "here is some information that you might find useful". :) 

Oh. Although he did say:

image.png.9c2d9d5460a105e1740bdf117d5e50a5.png

I just didn't notice the "that".

I'll look into it.

Edit: Wow, didn't know this was my 1000th post.

Edited by Ecernosoft