IGNORED

ColecoVision adapter for the Master System - available soon!

Apocalypse

Hello.

I have designed an adapter to play ColecoVision games on the Master System (through the SG-1000 compatibility mode, hence slightly off colours):

To access the keypad maintain the PAUSE button on the console then the corresponding direction/button combination. Layout below:

image.png.dc60cc1d3e5a1a298956a7f433c66789.png

------------

06/04/2024

Hi everyone,

We are building the stock for the initial release, please show your interest here so we have enough for everyone.

Price will be $59 for the collector edition:

- ColeCoco Master adapter with 1:1 reproduction case (down to the screws) and professionally printed stickers (front and back)

- Clam shell with SMS style artwork

- Shrink wrapped (for sealed collection 😈)

We'll offer other editions in the future (bare adapters or even bare PCBs).

More pics and information there:

APOCALYPSE - Coming Soon: ColeCoco Master Adapter!! | Arcade-Projects Forums

Thanks guys.

------------

Interest list

@RockLobster x 1
@TPR x 1
@-^CrossBow^- x 1
@eebuckeye x 1
@rietveld x 1
@mumbai x 1
@Gemintronic x 1
@Bomberman93 x 1

@OriginalJohn x 2

@mdoerty x 1

@Tomy x 1

@Warrior6108 x 1

@SearsRoebuck x 1

@imstarryeyed x 1

@thunder-rabbit x 1

@retrogmr x 1

@BryceO84 x 1

@SamsSimson x 1

@dipdoodle x 1

@MacRorie x 1

@captcapcom x 1

@dragonHunter x 1

@RGDiRocco x 1

@dougyt40 x 1

@takaaki x 1

@xave2000 x 1

@BILLYonaire x 1

@Eligio x 1

@fandenivoldsk x 1

• Like 15

As a Colecovision fan, this is very interesting to me, but I know nothing about the SG1000. Does this mean one could potentially play Colecovision games on a Game Gear, since you can play Master System games on one?

(Also, my browser, which is unfortunately older and can't be updated without upgrading my OS, doesn't show anything but a blank space between "...hence slightly off colours): " and "To access the keypad maintain the PAUSE...", so I'm probably missing some key information here...is this a hardware or software adapter?)

23 hours ago, fiddlepaddle said:

As a Colecovision fan, this is very interesting to me, but I know nothing about the SG1000. Does this mean one could potentially play Colecovision games on a Game Gear, since you can play Master System games on one?

(Also, my browser, which is unfortunately older and can't be updated without upgrading my OS, doesn't show anything but a blank space between "...hence slightly off colours): " and "To access the keypad maintain the PAUSE...", so I'm probably missing some key information here...is this a hardware or software adapter?)

Yes you could play CV games on the GG, only you woud need to add a small piece of code to initialise CRAM to the closest CV colours (not needed on the MS as colours in compatibility mode are fixed/hardcoded).

There's a video of it running and a drawing showing the keypad mapping.

22 hours ago, eebuckeye said:

Want!! Will you offer for sale?

Probably not, there's not much interest for it. It was mostly a fun exercise for me after I saw people were converting games manually (patching the code).

To make it a commercial product it would need to have hard gold finish on the contacts and a beveled edge, which jack up the price a lot for small batches (<=10 units).

Making it open source won't satisfy the few people interested neither as it involves SMT soldering and CPLD programming (either with a programmer or a JTAG cable).

On top of that I don't have the time to write documentation and support it.

So, after referencing this article (https://hackaday.com/2008/12/11/how-to-programmable-logic-devices-cpld/), it appears one could use a CPLD inside an a SD card multicart (similar to the Atarimax Ultimate SD I have) containing some special boot-up code for the colors, could allow a person to potentially play Colecovision games, Master System games, SG-1000 games (and maybe some Game Gear games) on a Genesis?

If that was true, I bet the market for a device like this is much bigger than you think.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, eebuckeye said:

The concept of this is very cool!  I wonder if there is any chance it would work with the Master System adapter for the Genesis?  Playing Coleco games on the Genesis would be wild!  Regardless I would really like one if you decide to build!

The Megadrive VDP doesn't support legacy modes. Games do boot and have sound but screen remains black.

On 10/28/2022 at 4:42 AM, fiddlepaddle said:

So, after referencing this article (https://hackaday.com/2008/12/11/how-to-programmable-logic-devices-cpld/), it appears one could use a CPLD inside an a SD card multicart (similar to the Atarimax Ultimate SD I have) containing some special boot-up code for the colors, could allow a person to potentially play Colecovision games, Master System games, SG-1000 games (and maybe some Game Gear games) on a Genesis?

If that was true, I bet the market for a device like this is much bigger than you think.

The adapter can already do that, I've tested it to play SG-1000 games on the Game Gear (picking colours that are much closer to the CV ones than those hardcoded in the MS VDP).

Master System games on the Megadrive have always been a thing through the Power Base Converter.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/29/2022 at 9:46 PM, Apocalypse said:

The Megadrive VDP doesn't support legacy modes. Games do boot and have sound but screen remains black.

The adapter can already do that, I've tested it to play SG-1000 games on the Game Gear (picking colours that are much closer to the CV ones than those hardcoded in the MS VDP).

Master System games on the Megadrive have always been a thing through the Power Base Converter.

This was my first thought, since the Genesis sold more units. Thanks for touching on this. Are you saying that it would not work, because CV would be considered a legacy mode (like SG-1000). I find this intriguing.

This didn't quote the part about the muti carts. I have an Everdrive. It would be cool if it supported CV games too. I guess it would get messy, because keypad support would also be something that may need addressed, such as your on-screen solution.

When I created RatTrap for the 7800, I revisited the ColecoVision version of MouseTrap. I find that playing the game on some touch-screen emulators is nearly impossible, since all buttons are on-screen. I supposed it would be similarly challenging if an on-screen keypad needed to be brought up.

Overall, I think this is a really cool project. I saw it today in a Facebook feed, and I had to hunt it down on AA. Nice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

This was my first thought, since the Genesis sold more units. Thanks for touching on this. Are you saying that it would not work, because CV would be considered a legacy mode (like SG-1000). I find this intriguing.

Both the SG-1000 and ColecoVision use similar VDPs (9918 for the SG1K, 9928 for the CV) whose graphic modes were not included in the Genesis/Mega Drive VDP. Technically they do work, but you'd be playing them blind because the Genesis/MD would just display a black screen for those games.

5 hours ago, TurdFurgeson82 said:

Interested, so they will be sold on the link you posted?

Yes.

5 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

He listed various reasons he's not doing that in previous posts.

That being said, I too am really interested as I'd love to have a master system for both SMS and Coleco development.

I will not produce them, but someone in the US will (mitsurugi_w from Arcade Projects).

2 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

This didn't quote the part about the muti carts. I have an Everdrive. It would be cool if it supported CV games too. I guess it would get messy, because keypad support would also be something that may need addressed, such as your on-screen solution.

When I created RatTrap for the 7800, I revisited the ColecoVision version of MouseTrap. I find that playing the game on some touch-screen emulators is nearly impossible, since all buttons are on-screen. I supposed it would be similarly challenging if an on-screen keypad needed to be brought up.

Overall, I think this is a really cool project. I saw it today in a Facebook feed, and I had to hunt it down on AA. Nice!

Yes CV is legacy mode.

It's not an on-screen keypad: you need to maintain the PAUSE button on the console then press a direction/button combination as explained in the picture posted in the first post.

That's far from ideal I know, you need to sit close to the console. But many games use only one or two buttons (all the arcade ports, etc.).

2 hours ago, evg2000 said:

I wonder if a developer like @Digital Fluff might be able to produce it for them?

Please see my answer above.

50 minutes ago, ApolloBoy said:

Both the SG-1000 and ColecoVision use similar VDPs (9918 for the SG1K, 9928 for the CV) whose graphic modes were not included in the Genesis/Mega Drive VDP. Technically they do work, but you'd be playing them blind because the Genesis/MD would just display a black screen for those games.

You are 100% correct.

• Like 5