IGNORED

FOUND: computer, devices in exchange for some TI-99/4a expansion cards and accessories.

Tuxon86

Hi,

Just bought the last pieces, the FDC and cable from Arcadeshopper. MY Dream TI setup is nearly complete.

I’m looking for some expansion cards to fill my upcoming Ti-99/4a Peripheral Expansion Box.

I need the following:

1. 32k ram card (done) - Just ordered a Sams card from Arcadeshopper
  2. RS232/Parallel card (done) - Old CS1 had one available
  3. Floppy Controller (one that can support DS/DD would be a plus or one that can be easily modified for it)
  4. One or two floppy drive that can work in the PEB

What I’ve for trade or sale, if you don’t have anything that I’m looking for:

1. Atari 65XE with VBXE and U1MB installed by Flashjazzcat. $200Cdn
  2. 2x Atari 1050 with Happy (one for sure, the other I’ll check) $65Cdn each
  3. 1x Kryoflux with compatible floppy fitted in an Atari 1050 case. (Check my thread about my adventure in archiving software) $100 - Sold to Old CS1
  4. 1x Zoomfloppy and Commodore 1571 combo. $100 - Sold to Old CS1
  5. 1x Side3 and Fujinet Combo. $100 - SOLD TO Monzamess
  6. 1x Amiga 500 (European) no PSU and broken latch on the ram exp. trapdoor. $100

Trade is restricted to established members and is based on similar value of the parts being traded, but the stuff for sale is open to all.

you must be willing to ship to Canada. In case of trade I’llpay shipping both way to sweeten the deal.

Of course all parts must be functional.

1 hour ago, LouisB said:

Are you looking for only 5 1/4 floppy drives "original" to TI / PEB?  e.g. PHP-1250 (MPI Model 51)

IMHO Floppy Controllers that support DS/DD are quite rare and will require like drives.

I'm aiming for a dual floppy system but would make do with a single setup if need be. Is it the ds or dd that is more problematic?

9 hours ago, LouisB said:

Can you expand a bit more on "problematic" ... I'm not sure if you mean problematic in terms of rarity as in finding controllers or technically as in what is compatible with what.  Stating your specific questions will help us answer 🙂

Oh I misunderstood. Sorry about that. 
As I said my goal is to have a dual drive system, but as you may have guessed, I’m not all that knowledgeable when it comes to the 99/4a. I guess I’m looking for suggestion of controllers and half height drives I can use in my PEB. I’ve read about people using pc 360k (hence the references to ds/dd) but I don’t know if it was with the stock Ti controller, a 3rd party one or else.

Any suggestion is welcomed!

You can absolutely use 360k drives with the stock Ti controller, and as the stock controller is only capable of SD then that's what you'll get.  3rd party controllers were capable of more but I can't speak from experience as I've never owned one.

There is a modification which allows you to read & write 80 track SD disks, but it's more of a novelty.

Check this thread:

p.s. getting ahead of ourselves here, but if you want to create floppies to test with, run TI99-PC 3.2.1 on a winxp machine with a 360k drive attached.

Edited by LouisB
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, LouisB said:

You can absolutely use 360k drives with the stock Ti controller, and as the stock controller is only capable of SD then that's what you'll get.  3rd party controllers were capable of more but I can't speak from experience as I've never owned one.

There is a modification which allows you to read & write 80 track SD disks, but it's more of a novelty.

Check this thread:

p.s. getting ahead of ourselves here, but if you want to create floppies to test with, run TI99-PC 3.2.1 on a winxp machine with a 360k drive attached.

Thanks! That's great information. I'll source a couple of 360k floppy drives then.