IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 17 - Game 15 - Sub Hunt

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Guys, how do you get the extra 3 subs to bump the total up to 39?  I just played a level one game to test, I let the last 3 ships make it to England.  Instead of an attack fleet, 3 ships just sailed back west across the ocean.

One of the last three ships must have been a destroyer.  They need three troop transports to form an invasion fleet.  If they don't have three troop transports left, you win the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IntellivisionMaster said:

I don’t want to give a spoiler alert! But I’ll give you a good hint. The manual all-but spells out how…. It practically tells you how LOL  😂 

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

One of the last three ships must have been a destroyer.  They need three troop transports to form an invasion fleet.  If they don't have three troop transports left, you win the game.

I get it, and I now understand why you could win with only a score of 28.  Actually, getting an exact score of 28 might be harder than 39 because it means you'd have to intentionally avoid the destroyers for each wave.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wongojack said:

Doesn't look like there will be a lot of participants in this round.  Hoping for a few more folks to jump in.  I know I can count on @fakecortex

Well, normally you'd be right wongo. But I'm giving up on this one. This game is complicated, and uses the keypad a lot, which are aspects that I like about the INTV. Problem for me is, I don't own the game, and mapping the buttons to a PS3 controller, while split-screening the instructions, and trying to get my head around the game in general...just not happening. Gaming has taken a backseat recently, and I just don't have the mental capacity for this. Anyway, just a lot of excuses for a big fat...

Sub-Hunt - 0 pts Skill 1!!!!!!!

I'll do better at Beamrider, I swear!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Well, normally you'd be right wongo. But I'm giving up on this one. This game is complicated, and uses the keypad a lot, which are aspects that I like about the INTV. Problem for me is, I don't own the game, and mapping the buttons to a PS3 controller, while split-screening the instructions, and trying to get my head around the game in general...just not happening. Gaming has taken a backseat recently, and I just don't have the mental capacity for this. Anyway, just a lot of excuses for a big fat...

Sub-Hunt - 0 pts Skill 1!!!!!!!

I'll do better at Beamrider, I swear!

Can you prove that score?

You didn't post a picture. 

• Haha 5

So I 'tried' to play some tonight and I have COMPLETELY regressed if that's even possible already being so bad at this miserable game. My point is I cannot even sniff the score I got before. It's like my rom suddenly doesn't recognize slower levels (wuss levels). I even tried level 1 which is the most wussiest level and I still get destroyed. I'm like a sitting duck out there. Sometimes I can see the ships approaching, but MOST times I have no idea where the hell they are and just end up getting blown to bits..... So far this is definitely one of my least favorite Inty games.... I simply cannot conceive how some of you guys are killing it on the MACHO levels 4, 5??? 🤷‍♂️

Chris Farley Idk GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, IntellivisionMaster said:

@Rickster8 “spoiler alert” coming. Rick, you must turn off your sonar before you engage the fleet. That’s why they’re bombing you so much. If they know you’re coming, you’re a goner. 

I must have mis-read the manual. I thought they just said to turn it (sonar) off when you were trying to dive and get away from the onslaught.... I will try this.... But it's still doesn't explain why sometimes I cannot see them. Also the torpedo aiming is terrible..... 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

Nope!! Just played, turned sonar off, made sure I was moving during battle and still got annihilated even on the easiest level. No idea how I even scored 33 on level 2. I’ll never get this game. I’m with you wolfy, the game is impossible and not ‘fun’ at all.... 🙄👎

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Nope!! Just played, turned sonar off, made sure I was moving during battle and still got annihilated even on the easiest level. No idea how I even scored 33 on level 2. I’ll never get this game. I’m with you wolfy, the game is impossible and not ‘fun’ at all.... 🙄👎

Lol. I guarantee you are forgetting something. A player of your skill should not be getting annihilated on the easiest level. You have to make sure to do the following…Go down to periscope level, turn your sonar off well before you reach the ships, and slow down to a crawl. As soon as they see you, you need to dive immediately all the way down and shut your engine off completely. Then move occasionally to avoid the blasts. Once you figure it all out, it really is a very rewarding and immersive game. C’mon Rick, you got this!!!

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Ok, I got All Clear on game 5.  I only got 35 ships though, and the one that got through was a destroyer.  I got him alone early and just decided to let him go to give myself a better chance to beat level 5.  I also ended up losing NO SUBS on this game, so I guess a perfect game is somewhere inside me, but I think I have had enough for now.  Gotta save something for next time I guess.

5 x 35 = 175 (4 subs)

image.thumb.jpeg.ef7d3ead732a6e6c562177ae66fa4848.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/11/2022 at 9:32 AM, Rickster8 said:

I must have mis-read the manual. I thought they just said to turn it (sonar) off when you were trying to dive and get away from the onslaught.... I will try this.... But it's still doesn't explain why sometimes I cannot see them. Also the torpedo aiming is terrible..... 🤦‍♂️

What I do is

1. Immediately speed up to 3/4 speed
  2. Turn perpendicular to the course of the enemy.  They are always travelling to the far NE corner of the screen, so it is easy to plot an intercept course. 
  3. At some point you will want to turn west (left if facing north)  
  4. Turn off your sonar before you turn
  5. Dive 1 level down (and only one level). Make sure you have enough speed to turn in time and be facing west as the rate of blinking on your sub changes. 
  6. Slow down to 1/4 speed when facing west. 

You should be able to orient yourself directly in front of the lead ship and get one of them before they know you are there.  After that, you will usually see the destroyer move to try and get past you.  You should speed up to let yourself turn faster and try to kill the fast-moving destroyer.  Then take your time picking off the rest of the group.  Once the destroyer is gone, you can use your sonar somewhat liberally.

• Like 1

Quick Sub Hunt Update: 

195 (L5) - IntellivisionMaster (4 SUBS LEFT)(PERFECT SUB HUNT)

195 (L5) - mr_me (3 SUBS LEFT)

136 (L4) - wongojack

108 (L3) - IntyFanMatt.

72 (L2) - lupovax

70 (L2) - wolfy62

66 (L2) - Rickster8

• Like 1

Technically my score should be 175 (L5), but it doesn't change the standings.  I thought about trying for a higher score today.  This is probably my best chance to actually win a round since the max score is capped, and I am so close, but I can't bring myself to go through with it.  Too intense.

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Quick Sub Hunt Update: 

136 (L4) - wongojack

108 (L3) - IntyFanMatt.

72 (L2) - lupovax

70 (L2) - wolfy62

66 (L2) - Rickster8

Quick Sub Hunt Update: 

175 (L5) - wongojack

108 (L3) - IntyFanMatt

72 (L2) - lupovax

70 (L2) - wolfy62

66 (L2) - Rickster8

36 (L1) - crade

Edited by Rickster8
Correction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crade said:

36 at level 3.  2 Subs remaining

36 X 3 = 108

H9izQxzfhTGcZ7SGJROyHGAMG28b72pQfiRaVeJEcDDjuah2BRTVnf2dZr1dJKbIrZqYX5bEhv7S0bfkl73V9ikQ8-fbKL6zrr9EG4xpLoYOxWhCT7VdqyxCHxh5DvXH5Kns5PbU3nFKYHIZ9cT1fWWGpGF_IvC6B1z5ry-rbCYhegXjdfHcCTyrUgrX03PAMoVG1wh6_5j6MQX3oorQv-aoKlnSenqQslnHvOSjO2KmS-c-kztRRtqXo4puu1hbD8PzQMoQf2bzm4TD0x5BD_naKPWVoa6ce8dfmEXSdXeDzeaMnvkYM0JttmAASZUoK0e2S99Gzs8ZE7nVSTnj5qjajx9g4e9jCJhzu8pn7IxZelAajCt1sNmX9zB06wlbJu2uZ6Gh7OFB9u6rhr_BgF9BOktvSilQU5lhmf5vm3y1D11UBHoXtRBYOHx1NPcQ1icwO0uDvet6uSjhUG-025HiHAJbyMFny5C55g6pintM-U8YGfISK3jhpWZtBa73muDwZmPE1WlUg2NyuQPlYWFC-njyvJWsLt3CSr9tIU4KDkpxvOoNif_sIb78dUS4UQ3ciQ6HmfrXZMSad7_BE453SrH_Q4vfiMG0qPKDtZXi0J_af3Uw9WSVEFv2S33lcSJMRA-lWfzXth36NiKdaVLoQIQPWIpqrTYoUNiXEdJ7gPo2xbz62j0GrtIU1p0wH2bepaP1tn-_QHw_SlRo2_86E04wuQNH9Cjsv-M9r7x9zI0fkQOdcQyaQUEAYb_hD3eUN1j6jpZBUnqGiR1q2wKB8mAp3PxXdCefGpf9Z3EBn4bPNdCt3k-0qMafNVQwhtnMyJCVQ-N_g5RcOAYKyR2u5l4S2UHy9saW2Y7k3SxAJPGsfR57J-PGZB1onEJMSQ_iH9CD0fAcF2AKJKSOhY2PaXc-U1DPrQQDfFJtHG543hF6Hw=w1204-h903-no?authuser=0

I think you pressed button 3 thinking it was Level 3, but button 3 is Level 1 as notated by the green numbering.... The RED numbering is Level 3...... This score is therefore actually 36....

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 2

FINAL Sub Hunt Update: AL DOES IT AGAIN, NOW HE'S THE KING OF SUBS!!! 😜

Sub GIF by Subway Sverigesubmarine GIF by Marc Larivierevideo games battle GIF by Evil Twin ArtworksFood Vintage GIF

195 (L5) - IntellivisionMaster (4 SUBS LEFT)(PERFECT SUB HUNT)[+13](+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE)(+3 SET NEW RECORD)

195 (L5) - mr_me (3 SUBS LEFT)[+12]

175 (L5) - wongojack [+11]

-----------------------------------------------------

108 (L3) - IntyFanMatt [+9]

72 (L2) - lupovax [+8]

70 (L2) - wolfy62 [+7]

66 (L2) - Rickster8 [+6]

36 (L1) - crade [+5]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

I think you pressed button 3 thinking it was Level 3, but button 3 is Level 1 as notated by the green numbering.... The RED numbering is Level 3...... This score is therefore actually 36....

Ah yes, I indeed pushed 3 on this game!  Sorry for the error, I was deceived!
No wonder I did so much worse on level 4.

Edited by crade
  • Haha 2