IGNORED

Atari 7800 lock-on cartridge idea (S&K)

Ecernosoft

Hello everyone!

I wanted to have a lock-on cart solution for ICT4 or maybe ICT3 so you could play extra levels with ICT3 attached, or even better, other games attached to see what they would look like as level data. 

I had a really good idea and wanted to share:

||||||||||||||||

||

If pin 14 is high and pin 15 is low, bank to External.

Otherwise actual CART DATA is available.

This banks the External cartridge to $4000-$7FFF, leaving $3000-$3FFF and $8000-$FFFF available for the actual game.

I was also wondering if it's possible to read ROM from the $1000-$17FF area. Then we could have 56K ROMs!

I was mostly wondering so that games like Sonic and Knuckles could exist and if we, say, wanted to include PATCH ROMS or EXTRA LEVELS. Maybe, a YM2151! Or a POKEY for a Non-pokey game! There's endless possibilities.

If you are reading this @Albert, let me know if this is viable and cheap enough that games using it wouldn't be more than $10 extra in cost. (It's ok if it must be $15 extra in cost, but <= $10 extra is the goal.)

Thanks,

E.C

5 hours ago, SIO2 said:

Perhaps something like this:

https://hackaday.io/project/165992-savekey-plus

Might also be of use to you.  It is an expansion of the savekey which has mainly been used for saving high scores but could be used for data storage also.

Hmm... That could work!

But that's an expansion, not a CARTRIDGE. I'm thinking of something like Sonic and Knuckles.