IGNORED

WTB internal ColecoVision RF modulator

vintagegamecrazy

I have a ColecoVision that's an excellent working condition other than a dim picture. I fully rebuilt the RF modulator and is bad of a shape as it was in but it's still a very dim picture. I tried doing Ben Hecks av mod but the revision is different so it didn't work. If anybody has one they would want to sell possibly from an AV modded system or from a completely broken system let me know.

How about an lm318 mod board? I bought enough to make 3 (minimum oshpark order) but only used 2. 

PXL_20221013_194243324.thumb.jpg.c8ff985738f0638cd7ad5f42684e802a.jpg

You can pull the signals from here:ULSKl3Y.thumb.jpg.18be18606b1e8a935a2da37ead98efe3.jpg

If you want to make your own, I found the board here: https://oshpark.com/profiles/thecrypticodor

If you want, I can send you the spare board I have. It's already setup, the one in the first pic. $10 plus shipping. 

16 hours ago, vintagegamecrazy said:

I would actually prefer to remove the RF modulator if possible and pull directly from the board. Is that doable with that board?

No because it uses some of the circuitry built into the RF modulator. No idea why, but when I was looking for a solution to poor RF, I found that most or all Colecovision video mods won't work without the RF unit installed. There might be one solution but I can't remember. I know I made these because it was the most economical and clear video mod I could find. There are much cheaper ones, but they burnout and fail. This one will last the life of the console. Plus, you don't have to remove anything from the console and there are only a few connections to solder.

But yes, it will work even though you have poor RF. That's the exact same reason I used it. Here is what it looks like on my TV sets:

CRT:

image.thumb.png.4ee6a42c1a8148cca31b3452e0b730b4.png

LCD:

image.thumb.png.80b60e1912d2555feca0183e0cbf288a.png