IGNORED

Turbo Basic XL + RAMDISK

Just getting into TBXL 1.5 (NTSC DOS 2.x built-in), so far, haven't noticed a big difference between it and BASIC XE in terms of speed, if any. Anyways, 1 thing I did notice is more 'normal RAM' available, which is good, but [EXTEND] command no longer works. How do I access that with TBXL ? My 1200XL has the 256K RAMBO if that matters. Thanks !

Edited by Ricky Spanish
added info

TB XL does NOT have the Extend format. It does not utilize XRAM at all, only base RAM, so the only way to get more free RAM is trying/using different versions of DOS. Iow, if you are using a 64k Atari or a 1088k Atari does not matter for TB XL, the free memory (when using the same DOS with the 64k and 1088k computer) will always be the same. Thus, the XRAM is only usable as a (fast) ramdisk, not as extended RAM under TB XL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Being a cartridge also used to be an advantage, but not so much anymore.

Well that I'm not to worried about it since mines a 1200XL, nor is the memsave by using TBXL. 34k vs 32k IIRC. Hence EXPAND.

Although that extra 2k comes in handy when I'm calculating ULAM numbers.

As for compilers I've noticed TBXL doesn't recognize certain commands. I use DATASOFT basic compiler. Only quirk with this is

it won't let you use GOSUB with a variable. EG: GOSUB RICKY.

Edited by Ricky Spanish
damn... grammar.

• 2 weeks later...

Using GOTO and GOSUB with line numbers in a variable is an abuse, in Atari BASIC aswell as in Turbo-BASIC. It lets you do it but even the tokenized code is different.

No compiler could support this without huge effort as line numbers do not exists in compiled code.

Better use ON var GOTO or ON var GOSUB, in Turbo-BASIC ON var EXEC.

Edited by atarixle