IGNORED

3D Printed 5200 Cartridge Shell

SIO2

On 11/1/2022 at 4:48 PM, SIO2 said:

A 3D printed cartridge shell for your favorite Atari console - the 5200.

Fits Atari PCB or Pixels Past PCB.

Oh sweet!  Any plans to make shells that look like from other companies like, say, SEGA or Activision?  Actually CBS had a cool looking cart design as well.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 4:14 PM, ledzep said:

Oh sweet!  Any plans to make shells that look like from other companies like, say, SEGA or Activision?  Actually CBS had a cool looking cart design as well.

I have no plans for any changes to this at this time.

• Sad 1

Well, at least we should get a color choice, red doesn't seem so "5200" to me, maybe blue does (or of course black), but yes it would be nice to get a color choice but a nice job and great work on that sample. :)  If I knew anything on programming and/or had a 3D printer then I too, can get some PCBs and some ROM ships and come out with my own games too, maybe even (provided both Paul Lay and Lennart Bown would approve of it) release Yar's Strike on 5200 cart (with "Yars' Revenge"-style art on the front label).

This would definitely save a whole ton on having to recycle old Atari carts just to use those with new PCBs for new programs, boy how 3-D printers have really come to fruition. the costs are much lower now on both the printers themselves and the formulas to make just about anything you can possibly imagine, no more having to recycle old Pac-Man and Super Breakout (or any other Atari) cartridge shells just to have new games for them, SAVE THOSE SHELLS!!! JUST PRINT YOUR OWN!!!

.....and to follow up on my last post, THIS could be beneficial for the homebrew community as well as perhaps the AA abd I hope @Albert and other would-be programmers are taking notes as this could definitely be THE shot in the arm that the 5200 community needs to keep Big Sexy alive for yet another 40 years, and BTW Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday to Big Sexy, 40 years young this past month!!! 

If all of us can afford 3D printers then the 5200 (and other vintage gaming consoles) community is gonna be alive and well for quite some time to come, those, and perhaps if anyone can come up with the kind of ideas that the late Curt Vendel had in mind to make her even greater, like that 64K upgrade, perhaps a driving controller (for Pole Position) and maybe a keyboard so having to get the XEGS can someday be moot point.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 4:09 PM, BIGHMW said:

Well, at least we should get a color choice, red doesn't seem so "5200" to me, maybe blue does (or of course black), but yes it would be nice to get a color choice but a nice job and great work on that sample. :) 

3D printers don't generally work like color page printers. The color the item comes out depends on the color of material (plastic) that you put in the machine. So someone can use the files attached above to make a blue cartridge just by using blue material in the printer.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 2