IGNORED

Just bought an Apple II (Model A2M001 - mfg date Feb 1979). Can't type and boots to monitor prompt. Need help.

aguyandhisappleii

Hi kind folks. I would have posted this on Applefritter forums but they never emailed me the registration steps. I just bought an Apple II (Model A2M001) that had not been used at all since 1980. It was manufactured February 1979 and had a ROM Card 600 when I bought it (literally picked it up just today). I do not have a disk drive or tape player with it. When I booted it up today, I got a screen with columns of As and ?s (sometimes this changes, but it at least mostly has As and ?s). It also boots to a monitor (*) prompt instead of the BASIC prompt and none of the keys do anything (except for the reset key). I am not sure what to do. I tried taking out the ROM card, pushing in chips that looked loose, and reconnecting the keyboard cable, and I am still having the same issues. I have attached a picture of the problem I'm having. I have no prior experience with Apple IIs and have never desoldered or soldered anything. Any ideas as to what's going on?

image.thumb.jpeg.a475f7142376607254b89149ebc188ac.jpeg

I can't really help with the keyboard issue, but this is how an Apple II starts.  It does not boot to BASIC and it shows a screen full of characters.

If the keyboard worked, once you are at the monitor prompt, pressing Ctrl-B and then return would get you into Integer BASIC.

• Like 2

As Casey already said, that screen is normal. Original Apple IIs don't have an auto start rom (which looks for a disk and displays "Apple ][" until it finds one). They have a monitor rom, and the * prompt indicates you are now in the monitor. The screen you show is normal for an Apple II. It has nothing to do with your keyboard issues.

• Like 1

UPDATE: My friend worked on it today (he has experience w/ electronics but not Apple IIs specifically), and now there is some response but it's still not totally working. What happens is that the Reset key now generates several underscore characters, and the Apple II will also sometimes "type" underscores by itself (as if it had a mind of its own) without me pressing any keys.

If your friend is good with electronics, have him look at the schematics to try and figure out what's wrong. There is a book out there I'm sure you can find the PDF of, called the Apple II circuit description.

Looking at the schematics (and barring any mechanical issues), on the keyboard itself you have the encoder chip (probably the largest of them all), a 555 timer IC (this most likely only affects the repeat key), and what looks like a couple logic chips (these all start with 74LSxxx). If any of those are socketed, I'd start with taking them out and using a good contact cleaner on the pins and sockets. Make sure everything has had time to dry before powering up.

In the mainboard, there are a few more chips involved in the input from the keyboard. If you look at the board, you'll notice letters on one side, and numbers on the other. Using those as a grid, check/clean the chips at c11, a12, a13, b10, b6, and b7.

Keep in mind I really don't know these older apples. I just know a lot of time these chips when socketed can corrode and need a good cleaning. And I just looked at the schematics to see which chips are in the keyboard path to see which ones are most likely culprits. 

• Like 1

Regarding the color fringes on the text characters, I believe an original Apple II just behaves that way because the original ROM doesn't disable the color burst signal when it is in text mode.  Later revisions of the Apple II do that, as do all subsequent models.

But the fringing colors show up on any of them when they are in graphics mode.  Just an artifact of how the Apple displays colors.

Apple was not alone on this.  All of the home computers had this problem to some varying degree.  My TI 99/4A, when displaying white characters on a black background, shows reds, blues and yellows on the edges of the characters, depending on where on the screen the character is.  A monochrome monitor would not have that issue at all.  

• Like 1

After reseating a few of the chips myself (I didn't reseat B6, B7, or A13, iirc) and reconnecting the keyboard cable (which turned out to be loose), I'm unfortunately back to where I started where none of the keys work except for the reset button, which is back to adding another star prompt to the bottom of the screen. Some of the pins on one of the chips (forgot which one but it was one of the ones nick3092 said to check) had some beige looking stuff on it. Could that be the culprit?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 12:13 PM, aguyandhisappleii said:

Serial number is A2S1-14646. Assembly date on mobo is "7902", which I think actually means second week of 1979 (i.e., January 1979, not February 1979; my mistake). I have a busy week this week (I'm a college student), so it might be a bit before I can get a picture of the keyboard controller board.

My Apple ][ is dated 7916 and Serial Number 25422...  Your Computer might have a Rev-02 MB or Rev-03..

It might halve the original Keyboard Controller...  

my Apple ][ http://tech.markoverholser.com/?q=node/11

MarkO

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a Disk II Drive and card for this Apple II. Whenever I have the drive connected to the interface card, the Apple II refuses to power on and its PSU makes a rapid ticking sound when I switch it on. No light on the power lamp or screen. When I power on the computer with the card but without the drive connected to the card, it boots fine and just takes me to the monitor prompt like usual. Any ideas?

P.S. I still haven’t fixed the keyboard

If it makes any difference, I left the Disk II and its card in their package (same package) out in ~37-42 degree weather for a few hours (big mistake on my part), and it was kind of cold when I took it out of its package (although I didn’t try it til after it warmed up a little)

EDIT: Disk II model no is A2M0003 and serial no is 794791

Edited by aguyandhisappleii

On 12/25/2022 at 3:17 PM, aguyandhisappleii said:

Never mind on the disk issue! I just had it connected improperly! 🥴

That can lead to the 74LS125 being Blown Up...    

I ALWAYS, remove the Disk ][ Controller and turn Upside Down, to plug in the Drive "correctly"..   This I learned to do after Blowing Up 2, of the 74LS125s...

The Clicking is the Apple ][ Power Supply, shutting down to prevent damage...

MarkO

Edited by MarkO