IGNORED

Just bought an Apple II (Model A2M001 - mfg date Feb 1979). Can't type and boots to monitor prompt. Need help.

aguyandhisappleii

1 hour ago, MarkO said:

That can lead to the 74LS125 being Blown Up...    

I ALWAYS, remove the Disk ][ Controller and turn Upside Down, to plug in the Drive "correctly"..   This I learned to do after Blowing Up 2, of the 74LS125s...

The Clicking is the Apple ][ Power Supply, shutting down to prevent damage...

MarkO

Yes. I heard and am worried about that. When I get the chance, I'll open up the drive to see if I did indeed bust any chips. Since my Apple II was a non-autostart one, the drive never even spun even when I got it connected properly (I didn't issue the commands for accessing the drive - I also didn't know these older IIs don't automatically boot from the drive), so I'm hopeful nothing got blown up but I don't know if that's how it works. As for the keyboard, I'm going to buy a replacement for the encoder chip (an MM5740AAE/N) to see if that gets it working again. Since I have no other keyboards, chips, or Apple II hardware to test with, that's pretty much the best I can do.

On 12/26/2022 at 11:02 PM, aguyandhisappleii said:

Yes. I heard and am worried about that. When I get the chance, I'll open up the drive to see if I did indeed bust any chips. Since my Apple II was a non-autostart one, the drive never even spun even when I got it connected properly (I didn't issue the commands for accessing the drive - I also didn't know these older IIs don't automatically boot from the drive), so I'm hopeful nothing got blown up but I don't know if that's how it works. As for the keyboard, I'm going to buy a replacement for the encoder chip (an MM5740AAE/N) to see if that gets it working again. Since I have no other keyboards, chips, or Apple II hardware to test with, that's pretty much the best I can do.

Two sites you need to know about for locating Electronics are "Find Chips" and "Octo Parts"..

Looks like there are plenty of replacements available...

https://www.findchips.com/search/74LS125

BTW, did you ever get an account to Apple Fritter??

MarkO

7 hours ago, MarkO said:

Two sites you need to know about for locating Electronics are "Find Chips" and "Octo Parts"..

Looks like there are plenty of replacements available...

https://www.findchips.com/search/74LS125

BTW, did you ever get an account to Apple Fritter??

MarkO

I was just going to buy the part on eBay since they’re only a couple bucks. Is that a bad place to buy it from?

No, I never did, although it’s been a while since I last tried.

Buying ebay chips from a seller that is not in China is probably safe.  Or at least safer than buying say, Ali Express chips.  Some sellers from China sell remarked/fake/bad chips.  For chips that are still in production today (like many of the "LS" logic chips, I prefer to buy from a known electronics warehouse like mouser or digikey.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 4:08 PM, aguyandhisappleii said:

I was just going to buy the part on eBay since they’re only a couple bucks. Is that a bad place to buy it from?

No, I never did, although it’s been a while since I last tried.

eBay??  Not necessarily..  You can start there..   

You should contact Apple Fritter again..

MarkO

5 hours ago, nick3092 said:

Buying ebay chips from a seller that is not in China is probably safe.  Or at least safer than buying say, Ali Express chips.  Some sellers from China sell remarked/fake/bad chips.  For chips that are still in production today (like many of the "LS" logic chips, I prefer to buy from a known electronics warehouse like mouser or digikey.

My preference too, but eBay does favor the Buyer, so you do have a lot of leverage when buying things..

Jameco has the 74LS125s for less than a $1.00 each, but I believe you need a $5.00 order minimum..

MarkO

I'm handling "spare parts for the future" by making sure I have several of each and every part on the motherboard. Easiest way is buying a few boards or complete computers and setting them aside. This is good for the custom chips and some discrete parts or the timing GALs. Of course if I pull from the spares then I have to refill it by buying it. But I don't have to put a fire out. The part goes on a list, and when it's convenient I buy it.