IGNORED

Deceased member status

save2600

Was curious if having some kind of denotation for members that are no longer with us would be easy enough or worthwhile to implement? Some other sites I've noticed will have something like 'In Memoriam' around their user name, which I think is nice. Serves obvious purposes, but is also respectful at the same time. 

Easy to see who's been banned as their user name is in bold, and a 'Banned' tag for their status. So figure maybe the forum software could do something for the deceased. Touchy subject maybe, but... ?

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It wouldn't have to be placed around the username. It could be enough if the profile said "Past member" instead of "Member" or "Subscriber". I can't recall if you can close your account voluntarily and how it is handled, if posts are anonymized but in that case you left on your own will.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Maybe “account closed”

Problem is, 'account closed' doesn't provide enough info. People might wonder if so-and-so were still alive and may take the time to look them up elsewhere, and/or potentially disturb loved ones and survivors. Also wouldn't work in the off-chance a family member or someone wanted to maintain the account for whatever reason(s). Ie: pending deals or deals in progress, projects that were currently being worked on/close to release, estate sale purposes, or say someone like Barb (Jerry @oldjd) wanted to continue providing dust covers... think she ended up with her own account, but just giving some examples.  :)

• Like 2

I think it's a good idea and would provide a certain sense of knowing,...Maybe not closure, per se,  but I'd rather know.  I messaged another member just last night to see if he is still with us.  If he doesn't respond I guess I'll just have to assume the worst.  And of course, some people won't have someone around to let everyone know...

I'm sure Al is too busy to worry about it in a general sense,  but if it were implemented, (under certain circumstances,  i.e. a loved one lets someone know),  I see it as a positive and respectful thing.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I messaged another member just last night to see if he is still with us.  If he doesn't respond I guess I'll just have to assume the worst...

Or in the case he doesn't log into AA much, may not have e-mail notifications checked in his user settings to alert him of DM's. Assuming a given e-mail address is even still valid, you don't have his phone number, blah blah blah. ...if you know where he lives, real name, etc. can always search the online obits. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:52 AM, save2600 said:

Or in the case he doesn't log into AA much, may not have e-mail notifications checked in his user settings to alert him of DM's. Assuming a given e-mail address is even still valid, you don't have his phone number, blah blah blah. ...if you know where he lives, real name, etc. can always search the online obits. 

Well,  in this case,...I don't know his real name or phone number...

And he hasn't responded.   There is a chance some "life" got in the way...Or could be something medical...Perhaps in the future he comes back and explains, or...

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 4:54 AM, Spriggy said:

If I kick the bucket ... 

On 9/15/2023 at 11:52 AM, idavis said:

Gotta love the optimism :)

Well, he's immortal so far so who knows :)

I saw a post from a member where it said "Banned" under where the joysticks are displayed. Maybe when we discover someone has passed we could simply put something like "remembered" or "departed".

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

While I agree that this is a good idea, the biggest challenge is going to be implementing it with any consistency.

There are a few high-profile members whose death gets announced, and, very rarely, a family member may make an announcement, but for the most part people just vanish for unknown reasons.

For example, there is nobody in my world who knows, much less cares, about my participation in various online forums; there is certainly nobody who is going to the trouble of posting a formal notice of my passing. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...