IGNORED

Fairchild Channel F - Flashcart

3DMAZE

Note (Dec-11-2023): I will be out of the country for ~2 months, so selling/shipping won't occur until then at the earliest. I'm bringing my Channel F with me though, and expect the development to be completed before I'm back

Videocart Pi

FC_banner.thumb.png.5ed7daf84b1835ad6bfc122ead776c01.png

This flashcart (powered by a Raspberry Pi Pico) allows games to be loaded from an SD card and played on a real Fairchild Channel F. It supports loading both official games, and homebrew, through the built-in multi-menu. Using a μcontroller also allows for additional features like FRAM & timers.

It's currently in the final stages of development, as there's a few bugs left to tackle (particularly with non-NTSC units). Thus price/release date are TBD. Prototype units were shipped and are being tested by two other users. The 3D files for the case were provided to me by e5frog.

Development Log

The remaining tasks to be done before release

1. Adjust timing to be within spec
  2. Resolve cache issues
  3. Investigate issues with hangman custom words
  4. Support for directories in multi-menu

The following tasks can be done after release (as a firmware update)

1. FRAM drivers
  2. MK3870 / MK3853 port emulation
  3. Any other interesting uses I can think of for the μcontroller

Waiting List

First come, first served, but there's obviously no obligation to purchase it upon release. This waiting list just helps give me an idea of demand, as it's cheaper to buy the parts in bulk. Comment below or send a PM if you think you'd be interested!

1. atari2600land
  2. Sonaru
  3. eebuckeye
  4. Killjoyy27
  5. retrogmr
  6. fdr4prez
  7. cjherr
  8. Dopy25
  9. ianoid
  10. Rick Reynolds
  11. thevnaguy
  12. Ron Peters
  13. CoachOta
  14. GDT2019
  15. Rob Mitchell
  16. jgkspsx
  17. Mooreshire
  18. iddod
  19. SkydivinGirl
  20. skosh
  21. Chuck D. Head
  22. swlovinist
  23. mckafka99
  24. TheCoolDave
  25. stupus
  26. KylJoy
  27. fred
  28. TPR
  29. CRT_rex
  30. ZeroPage Homebrew
  31. Revontuli
  32. lucifershalo
  33. crux
Edited by 3DMAZE
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@ianoid e5frog actually has one of the prototypes, haha. It's great for testing since he has so many variations of the Channel F. Yeah, the ol' Channel F is a bit of a niche, eh

@CoachOta There's a lot to consider, so nothing's set in stone right now. Maybe somewhere around $100 (not including shipping), but that's just a guesstimate. Could be more, could be less. I'm still trying to source parts atm. The local university might be able to 3D print for free, which would cut costs, but I'm not sure how the quality compares to my current supplier

@atari2600land Oh, poor phrasing on my part. No need to buy anything else! What I was trying to say was that the μcontroller (Pi Pico) was the brains behind the flashcart. It reads the bus/SD card and acts accordingly. Similar to when I sent out the prototypes, it's just plug and play

• Like 3

On 11/5/2022 at 2:55 PM, 3DMAZE said:

@CoachOta There's a lot to consider, so nothing's set in stone right now. Maybe somewhere around $100 (not including shipping), but that's just a guesstimate. Could be more, could be less. I'm still trying to source parts atm. The local university might be able to 3D print for free, which would cut costs, but I'm not sure how the quality compares to my current supplier

Sounds good. I just wanted to get a ballpark sense of what the cost will be. Looking forward to more updates and the final item!