IGNORED

ICT3 "E260" wavetable synth sound chip

Ecernosoft

19 hours ago, Astal4 said:

Focus on ONE project with no special features first. Learn the hardware and do it start to finish. In later stages you can go back and add features. Really focus on something and see it through.

You are right @Astal4.

For now, I think it'll just be using POKEY. ICT4 (If it ever happens) will be the crazy limit pushing game.

48 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

DVD-18 (double sided, 4 layers) can hold 17gb

Yeah true. I don’t know if any of you know but I always had a “dream computer” as a “successor to the Atari 8 bit line and the CX16”. I’m not sure if any of you know about the commander X16, but I always had an idea for a sequel to it under the Atari name ( of course, it wouldn’t actually say Atari due to legal things, but probably atariage)

4 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Yeah true. I don’t know if any of you know but I always had a “dream computer” as a “successor to the Atari 8 bit line and the CX16”. I’m not sure if any of you know about the commander X16, but I always had an idea for a sequel to it under the Atari name ( of course, it wouldn’t actually say Atari due to legal things, but probably atariage)

Understood.  Thing is, expansions like the U1MB and Rapidus pretty much fill that niche today.

WRT the Commander X16: if I recall correctly, it's not really a C64 successor.  The idea behind it was to build a machine similar to something that may have been released in the late 1980s, but using completely off-the-shelf parts.  In a sense, it's as much a possible Commodore-inspired machine as one also inspired by multiple 8-bit home computers.

5 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Understood.  Thing is, expansions like the U1MB and Rapidus pretty much fill that niche today.

WRT the Commander X16: if I recall correctly, it's not really a C64 successor.  The idea behind it was to build a machine similar to something that may have been released in the late 1980s, but using completely off-the-shelf parts.  In a sense, it's as much a possible Commodore-inspired machine as one also inspired by multiple 8-bit home computers.

UIt's absolutley not.

It's the most powerful 8 bit computer ever.

So, why not make a most powerful 16 bit computer ever?

7 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

It's the most powerful 8 bit computer ever.

Are you absolutely certain about that?

8 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

So, why not make a most powerful 16 bit computer ever?

There's no reason not to.

As an exercise, define what is meant by 'most powerful'.  Doesn't matter if it's an 8-, 11-, 13-, 16-, or other-bit-width architecture: unless you know what 'most powerful' represents before starting in on design, you're just picking random features and conglomerating them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

It's the most powerful 8 bit computer ever

As modern peers, ZX Spectrum NEXT would respectfully disagree, as would the MEGA65.

From back in the day, the MGT SAM Coupe, Amstrad CPC 6128+, MSX2+ and a fully pimped BBC Master would all probably also disagree with you in some aspects too.

(you make a broad, unspecific statement..)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

As modern peers, ZX Spectrum NEXT would respectfully disagree, as would the MEGA65.

From back in the day, the MGT SAM Coupe, Amstrad CPC 6128+, MSX2+ and a fully pimped BBC Master would all probably also disagree with you in some aspects too.

(you make a broad, unspecific statement..)

All they have is speed. The X16 absolutley crushes both in graphics and sound, stock wise. 

And yeah, I guess you could say the MSX2, but that was pretty slow.

Edited by Ecernosoft

2 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

You really should do some research before you make comments like this and then you may appreciate how little knowledge you actually have in this area.

Ok that's true. But I did. I've done a lot of research on the CX16 and the M65 and ZXspecNext, and the X16 really does shine. (At least, the research I did shows that)

Also, @Muddyfunster, could you please tell me the username of this "Rafal" guy? People have been complaining that ICT3 doesn't work on dragonfly. I don't have a dragonfly so I can't test on it. 

Edited by Ecernosoft

46 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

But you all, would you please stop yelling at me about my game not working on a device I don't have? Thanks. 😃 

If you don't have specific hardware to test it on, just make that fact clear where people are downloading the game.  Nobody's going to dig through x number of pages in a thread to find that out, but if you let people know that you've tested on <insert platform(s) here> and have no idea how it may behave on others, that's a reasonable way to set expectations with end users.

Just now, x=usr(1536) said:

If you don't have specific hardware to test it on, just make that fact clear where people are downloading the game.  Nobody's going to dig through x number of pages in a thread to find that out, but if you let people know that you've tested on <insert platform(s) here> and have no idea how it may behave on others, that's a reasonable way to set expectations with end users.

Ok.

I did do that. And I know @x=usr(1536) that you wern't part of it.

I was just getting irritated that people wouldn't realise I couldn't test on Dragonfly and that when they played a version of my game that it was outdated.

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

Ok. I just did.

But you all, would you please stop yelling at me about my game not working on a device I don't have? Thanks. 😃 

Not a single person yelled at you because your file didn't run on Dragonfly. Not one, so please stop being so dramatic.

People did however bring it to your attention and suggested how you might move forward with getting some help from the creator of the Dragonfly cart. If you do not want people to give you feedback then I suggest you stop posting test builds in the forum.

I do not have a Concerto, but everytime someone tells me there is a problem with my game on Concerto, I thank them for their feedback and then work with folks who might know why. I don't throw my toys out of the pushchair and tell people to stop yelling at me. People have given you a lot of good advice about a lot of topics. You are passionate about this platform and this hobby, but you really need to start to listen to folks who are only trying to help you.

/out.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

I did do that. And I know @x=usr(1536) that you wern't part of it.

I'm well aware that I wasn't a part of it.  My comments were provided solely as advice on how to handle the issue in the future.

29 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

I was just getting irritated that people wouldn't realise I couldn't test on Dragonfly and that when they played a version of my game that it was outdated.

Pro-tip: people are going to do that.  All you can do is your level best to communicate to them as clearly as possible what the environment is that you have been working in, and hope that they not only read it but also take it on board.  God knows I'm guilty of glossing over things at times, or not picking up on something that was perfectly obvious in retrospect - but that is an occupational hazard of putting your work out in public view.  The sooner you can accept that this is going to happen, the sooner your irritation with it happening will go away.

9 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

so please stop being so dramatic.

Also: this.  If someone is bringing to your attention that your game doesn't work on their hardware, it's not the end of the world and certainly isn't meant as a slight against you.  You can't predict 100% of the configurations that end users will expect your game to run in.  This comes back to my point regarding clear communication on your behalf, however, and letting it slide if someone doesn't RTFM, or can't find the information they need.

11 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I do not have a Concerto, but everytime someone tells me there is a problem with my game on Concerto, I thank them for their feedback and then work with folks who might know why. I don't throw my toys out of the pushchair and tell people to stop yelling at me. People have given you a lot of good advice about a lot of topics. You are passionate about this platform and this hobby, but you really need to start to listen to folks who are only trying to help you.

1000% correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I'm well aware that I wasn't a part of it.  My comments were provided solely as advice on how to handle the issue in the future.

Pro-tip: people are going to do that.  All you can do is your level best to communicate to them as clearly as possible what the environment is that you have been working in, and hope that they not only read it but also take it on board.  God knows I'm guilty of glossing over things at times, or not picking up on something that was perfectly obvious in retrospect - but that is an occupational hazard of putting your work out in public view.  The sooner you can accept that this is going to happen, the sooner your irritation with it happening will go away.

Also: this.  If someone is bringing to your attention that your game doesn't work on their hardware, it's not the end of the world and certainly isn't meant as a slight against you.  You can't predict 100% of the configurations that end users will expect your game to run in.  This comes back to my point regarding clear communication on your behalf, however, and letting it slide if someone doesn't RTFM, or can't find the information they need.

1000% correct.

1. I understand.

2. Yeah, I know. but then again, they just won't stop...

3. I know. And that's why #2. I'm sorry for getting upset, but do realise I can't do anything about it not working on Dragonfly until @rj1307 responds to the PM I sent him.

4. Dude, I did thank you guys for letting me know, (Or I thought I did), but then I started getting comments on how "I didn't fix it" and that's when it started to get on my nerve.

And @Muddyfunster, if you ever need me to, I can always test on Concerto for you.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

1. I understand.

2. Yeah, I know. but then again, they just won't stop...

3. I know. And that's why #2. I'm sorry for getting upset, but do realise I can't do anything about it not working on Dragonfly until @rj1307 responds to the PM I sent him.

4. Dude, I did thank you guys for letting me know, (Or I thought I did), but then I started getting comments on how "I didn't fix it" and that's when it started to get on my nerve.

And @Muddyfunster, if you ever need me to, I can always test on Concerto for you.

None of the points that I raised are open for discussion.  You have been given a roadmap in the form of advice regarding how to proceed.  What you do with it is up to you.

2 hours ago, Astal4 said:

I think it's getting to the point that we can only recommend @Ecernosoft RTFM on the platforms and hone his skills, there's nothing to really do with any of these threads anymore.

You are right.

I need to stop creating these useless threads that go nowhere but take up space on this forum.

3 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

None of the points that I raised are open for discussion.  You have been given a roadmap in the form of advice regarding how to proceed.  What you do with it is up to you.

Yeah, you are right. I shouldn't have made this thread.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

You are right.

I need to stop creating these useless threads that go nowhere but take up space on this forum.

Yeah, you are right. I shouldn't have made this thread.

Don't beat yourself up, we just all want you to read the docs first. Just take the advice to heart and read up on stuff.

• Like 3