IGNORED

Geneve PC in software.

hloberg

• 2 weeks later...

while i'm still working on stuff here's some XB golden oldies converted to AdvBASIC for the Geneve.

games are:

Awari

chicken plus

civil war

millibornes

othello

star merchant

star trek

stocks

uno+

wumpus

yathzee

tried adding some AdvBASIC features to some and others I just converted with little change.

also included the latest AdvBASIC manual if you want to fiddle with the games some.

enjoy

ABASIC-conv-games.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/8/2022 at 5:16 PM, WhataKowinkydink said:

Well I am one step closer to Geneve PC in software now that I have the Geneve script updated and working correctly - I always liked the swan splash:

Screenshot at 2022-12-08 16-12-48.png

on my 1st attempt at Geneve softPC I replaced the Win7 open/close screen with the above picture. It looked really cool. but now with the SSD drive radically speeding up the startup and shutdown the pic isn't seen but a split second anymore. still, it's a cool pic.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

WooHoo! I finally got Parsec to run on the Geneve without glitches. It has to run in the Geneve XB environment, which I currently have 7 other cartridge games running in, but it works. For some reason a hand full of cart conversions won't run with MYGPL but have to run with in XB. Below are the arcade games I have working so far.

arcade.thumb.png.0d09cb311d2ab7ed63da31a705755367.png

When I come out with a new MAME roll-up for the Geneve it'll have the Parsec it's not on the current  geneve.zip in https://ti99resources.wordpress.com/emulation/

but will be on the next upload.

also have several games under the heading SKILL. these include the Adventure Int games, which are several, and Tunnels of Doom games. this list will be added to extensively as I continue to convert TI99 XB games to Geneve Advanced BASIC.

skill.thumb.png.65b0e29f7bca750d952151529c075198.png

Here a list of the Infocom games.

infocom.thumb.png.ac61a8b106d746dda01095a70cc31385.png

you can get to these list by just typing ARCADE, SKILL or INFOCOM at the main prompt. if you type HELP you get the list of list.

And I'm still working on part 2 of Win7 conversion project.

• Like 5

I am not sure what "MYGPL" refers to, but there are different versions of the ROM and interpreter. IIRC, one of them masks the video registers to account for settings that don't play well with the 9938.  I encountered this while testing the 80 column adventure cartridge, and it certainly did nothing for my mood at the time :) 

If you have a copy of PLAYE you can try running Parsec and other grom carts from that environment.  I think I posted it in the Geneve OS Dev thread about a year ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I am not sure what "MYGPL" refers to, but there are different versions of the ROM and interpreter. IIRC, one of them masks the video registers to account for settings that don't play well with the 9938.  I encountered this while testing the 80 column adventure cartridge, and it certainly did nothing for my mood at the time :) 

If you have a copy of PLAYE you can try running Parsec and other grom carts from that environment.  I think I posted it in the Geneve OS Dev thread about a year ago.

MYGPL is what I use to run the TI99 converted Carts that you can run as a file on the TI99.

I'll look into the PLAYE. (edit) got it. I'll look at it with some of the XB cart games after work and see if they now work properly.

• Like 1

Added Frogger, Pacman, Pole Position to Arcade and 4A flyer to Skill. 

here are the updated HD files. I will make a full post with docs and everything later to TI99resources.

If you downloaded the original Geneve emulation files from TI99resources just replace the OS7, FDRIVE and GDRIVE with these new files (if you made any changes or saved files to the original files, be sure to copy off before you replace the .HD files.)

NOTE: if you don't know where everything is just type HELP at the main prompt. it will bring up a list of info and other helpful menu files to enter as well as how to execute the APPS and GAMES.

Software.zip

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(Part 1) Not all windows settings work. Like still have a windows logo om startup (used hackgnpt) Username still appears (enabled all registry settings),  Taskbar still is there as it takes time to boot.    And in Mame need to press a key (but understood that cannot be turned off in mame? .cc  @mizapf)   I used my own Geneve batch file setups.

Still need to test usb mouse and joysticks (usb to db9) and a Floppy Disk (would be nice to have something like flashfloppy usb disks that I use on the real Geneve).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@hloberg

Does your Floppy Drive work with the Geneve 9640 emulator/MAME ?

(e.g. like using a TI-99/4A / Geneve 9640 formatted disk ?) and then boot from Floppy the GeneveOS for example

What I want to have the same behavior as the Geneve (either with a 3 1/2 Floppy Diskdrive or with Gotek Flashfloppy (with TI-99/4A formatted files). 

but I use a Laptop and USB Floppy interface, it seems this is not possible ? 

e.g. when looking at OmniFlop

http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop64.htm#Downloads

image.thumb.png.6e9a254f6fbd57e5cfc516ff61705344.png

Edited by globeron

8 hours ago, globeron said:

@hloberg

Does your Floppy Drive work with the Geneve 9640 emulator/MAME ?

(e.g. like using a TI-99/4A / Geneve 9640 formatted disk ?) and then boot from Floppy the GeneveOS for example

What I want to have the same behavior as the Geneve (either with a 3 1/2 Floppy Diskdrive or with Gotek Flashfloppy (with TI-99/4A formatted files). 

but I use a Laptop and USB Floppy interface, it seems this is not possible ? 

e.g. when looking at OmniFlop

http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop64.htm#Downloads

image.thumb.png.6e9a254f6fbd57e5cfc516ff61705344.png

1st off, cool setup.

2nd, No. There is no way that MAME can read a TI-99 formatted floppy disk. If you want more details @mizapf can explain better why that is not possible. He is the maintainer for the TI-99/Geneve MAME.

BUT, you can create a TI99.DSK MAME file and put it on the MS-DOS floppy and read that file from the floppy as MAME boots. only problem is that you will have to go to the MAME menu if you want to change the disk. I have been working on a change that not to need the menu to change the disk but so far no luck. its looking more and more like I would have to mod MAME itself to do that a big task to say the least.

• Like 3

oh, an FYI. I use a floppy on the PC above pictures in this blog and it reads the disk fomatted with MSDOS and having a TI99.DSK file on it just fine. If you are unfamiliar you just set the TI99.DSK file (or whatever you want to call it) in the DSK drive 1 in MAME to boot. Can even set drives 2 and 3. 

Also, I just put on my Google drive my latest .HD https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1g_jCgj-2XGF4ULQ3kfyE-qj7RCZ1LVr8?usp=share_link

and just created a Geneve section with a lot of the files split into individual .DSK. https://ti99resources.wordpress.com/geneve/

• Like 2

On 11/28/2022 at 7:17 AM, hloberg said:

F' it. I have no idea what I'm doing making this video. I'm going to type up the how-to text and post the utilities and come back around to the video later, one day, maybe. 

On Windows 11, I also had to do some additional steps to remove items (and I was not able to remove the windows elements during startup, but it continues to boot until the Geneve is up and running),

(however after a sleep / standby mode, windows 11 asks to login again, still some tuning to be done at my end)

but this is what I have so far (see the 2x videos in next posts)

Edited by globeron
  • Like 1

My Myarc Geneve 9640 on Windows 11 (Laptop PC) setup with Arcade Suzo Joystick (DB9 plug with USB converter) and USB Mouse.

Behind the scenes to connect the Joystick and Mouse  (and USB Disk drive)

20230528_184514.thumb.jpg.a02bd171e483ed6e83c9c6c16b3c7f5d.jpg

(I use floppies using F2 and TAB, see next video), but as mentioned earlier in this forum you can use a USB-Floppy disk and use .DSK files and the same selection for the A:\ drive (selected via F2 and TAB in MAME).

20230528_184609.thumb.jpg.fa8255ddf00d9207d1836dde13f13d72.jpg

Also you can add a USB Keyboard to get the same feeling as the Geneve.

20230528_184743.thumb.jpg.ae6c0951c940abe4a67cb834c7855a43.jpg

and a white "tank mouse" might be an option to get the same mouse feeling as on the Geneve 9640. (I do not have one to test it)

https://sordan.ie/search/?q=tank+mouse)

Screenshot_20230528_193409_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a7f460dd03330f42d777996a32015c11.jpg

Edited by globeron
  • Like 5

Myarc Geneve 9640 emulation on Windows 11 Laptop PC using MAME Emulator 

HDMI Video output capture of PC.

Reboot in Geneve is CTRL  (left) SHIFT and (right) SHIFT, 

these combinations are also used to get out or Myarc mode / TI-Mode).

ALT TAB is to go back to Windows.

* Geneve 9640 non-GenMod boot

* Geneve 9640 v0.98 rom (= SWAN logo boot)

* Selecting Floppy Disks in MAME with F2 and TAB

* Myart with mouse demo and loading SWAN and HDRAGON (different color mode)

* (Start &TI99) different GPL modes  (MYARC and GPL 650 TI-99/4A)

* TI Invaders (via Myarc to in GPL TI-Mode) with Joystick

* Loading XBEA (EXtended Basic and Editor/Assembler) in GPL mode

Demo with Speech

80 Column demo in Extended Basic

* Loading XB26  (demo CALL CHIME) and Speech

* ABASIC (Myarc Basic) and demo Speech

Edited by globeron
  • Like 7

On 5/28/2023 at 7:26 AM, globeron said:

My Myarc Geneve 9640 on Windows 11 (Laptop PC) setup with Arcade Suzo Joystick (DB9 plug with USB converter) and USB Mouse.

Behind the scenes to connect the Joystick and Mouse  (and USB Disk drive)

20230528_184514.thumb.jpg.a02bd171e483ed6e83c9c6c16b3c7f5d.jpg

(I use floppies using F2 and TAB, see next video), but as mentioned earlier in this forum you can use a USB-Floppy disk and use .DSK files and the same selection for the A:\ drive (selected via F2 and TAB in MAME).

20230528_184609.thumb.jpg.fa8255ddf00d9207d1836dde13f13d72.jpg

Also you can add a USB Keyboard to get the same feeling as the Geneve.

20230528_184743.thumb.jpg.ae6c0951c940abe4a67cb834c7855a43.jpg

and a white "tank mouse" might be an option to get the same mouse feeling as on the Geneve 9640. (I do not have one to test it)

https://sordan.ie/search/?q=tank+mouse)

Screenshot_20230528_193409_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a7f460dd03330f42d777996a32015c11.jpg

really nice and good looking system. like the retro looking joystick. also that keyboard is really neat.

btw, I once tested Win10 and you can get rid of the opening as there is a utility that will do it. BUT, if I remember right, it's a very destructive utility that can only be run on certain PCs with UEFI. Legacy, such as Win7, was always easier to work with.

in ur Win11 to get rid of that bottom menu just set to auto-hide. then only seen when u need it.

have u had any issues with a USB floppy not detecting floppy change? I have, in some cases depending on PC type.

oh, and nice city backdrop you got going there. :)

• Like 1

oh, one thing I looking into is to see if a MAME PLUGIN and just straight to the floppy menu bypassing the main MAME menu. any MAME PLUGIN gurus out there?

also, there is a way to create hot keys in Wins, my go that route.

alternative will be editing MAME code which I not crazy about doing.

• Like 1