IGNORED

Something weird just happened in Super Mario Bros.

I was practicing the turtle stomping trick in world 3-1 (original NES with an original SMB cartridge), and on my last life I got it to work good; was getting a bunch of 1UPs, and I kept it going until the time ran out. But then it said game over, as if I'd never gotten any of those 1UPs at all. Is there an explanation for that? I've done that trick quite a few times in the past and it has never not registered the extra lives before.

Edited by MaximRecoil

2 hours ago, MaximRecoil said:

I was practicing the turtle stomping trick in world 3-1 (original NES with an original SMB cartridge), and on my last life I got it to work good; was getting a bunch of 1UPs, and I kept it going until the time ran out. But then it said game over, as if I'd never gotten any of those 1UPs at all. Is there an explanation for that? I've done that trick quite a few times in the past and it has never not registered the extra lives before.

Maybe extra lives flips back to 0 if you get too many. Over 255?

• Haha 1

I didn't have time to get that many extra lives. I got maybe 50 or so. Definitely less than 100. I'd like to try it again under the same circumstances (on last life in world 3-1, keep stomping turtle shell until time runs out) to see if the same thing happens again, but I'm not very good at it. Once I get it set up right I can keep it going pretty good, but I'm not good at getting the turtle shell in the right position to get it started in the first place.

Well, I managed to do it again after quite a few tries, exactly like last time (on my last life in world 3-1; kept stomping the turtle shell until time ran out), and video taped it, but it registered all the extra lives this time. So I have no idea what happened last time when it decided to simply ignore all those extra lives I got. I wonder if that's ever happened before to anyone else. I wish I would have been video taping when it happened.

That's interesting, thanks for the link. Like I said, it didn't seem like I got that many extra lives, but apparently I did. And I guess that was more extra lives than I've ever gotten before doing the same trick because it's never caused a game-over before. And the second one I did last night to see if it would game-over again was around 90 extra lives (I just counted them on the video I took of it).