IGNORED

Hi, could someone help me? A few questions about the VCS, having some issues...

82-T/A

VCS in general: Is there a way to disable the necessity to insert a PIN?

Missile Command Recharged:

- Direction of the shooting area is spotty and jumpy... is there a fix for this?

- How do I exit the game? There doesn't appear to be any option.

Centipede Recharged:

- When I first go into a game, I am totally unable to move my guy / shooter.

- The centipedes don't show up for like half a minute.

Seems like the controller / directional controls don't seem to work in like 90% of the games. This happens in both the normal joystick, and the modern joystick.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, 82-T/A said:

VCS in general: Is there a way to disable the necessity to insert a PIN?

Missile Command Recharged:

- Direction of the shooting area is spotty and jumpy... is there a fix for this?

- How do I exit the game? There doesn't appear to be any option.

Centipede Recharged:

- When I first go into a game, I am totally unable to move my guy / shooter.

- The centipedes don't show up for like half a minute.

Seems like the controller / directional controls don't seem to work in like 90% of the games. This happens in both the normal joystick, and the modern joystick.

Thanks!

Missile Command: I am betting you either have a mouse hooked up perhaps? If so, you can't use the mouse button to fire due to an AtariOS issue where using the mouse button causes a freeze/delay. Use the mouse if you want, but fire using a joystick or keyboard. If it is just a matter of thumbstick sensitivity, that can be adjusted in the settings. To exit, if using a controller, just press the Fuji for a few seconds then go to the Home screen. If you only have a keyboard, from the MC menu there is a "Quit" option.

Centipede: I bet you are experiencing a bug caused by swapping control methods that has been around forever and is yet to get fixed. You'll need to delete your local account game save data. You don't need to uninstall or delete the game, just your personal save data. Then it'll work. Unsure on "centipedes don't show up for like half a minute". 

Thanks guys, so... no mouse. I don't have a mouse or keyboard connected to it. The only thing I have plugged in is the power, ethernet, and HDMI.

I have a classic joystick, and the modern joystick, and I'm using both through BlueTooth. I also was able to calibrate the joystick, but it didn't let me calibrate the modern joystick (I guess that's not a thing for that one).

I figured out how to disable the pin (wasn't too hard)...

But still having issues with a couple of the games:

Centipede, no matter what controller I use, I am never able to control the little guy... at no point. The direction on the joystick works because I'm able to navigate the menu, etc... but once I'm in the game, I am never able to control the little guy. Now, when I go into Centipede, he's just firing continuously.

With Missile Command, I can move the shooter, but just to give an example... when I tap it to the right, you know the grid? It basically moves over 5 boxes. Anywhere I use it, it moves over 5 boxes.

It also doesn't work very well on Mashup either. I'm just not sure what's going on. I've turned off the system, and turned it back on a couple of times too. The system was updated, etc. To be fair, I don't use it that often, I just don't really have a lot of time to play games. So when I went into it today, it was the first time I'd used it in almost 5 months. But it installed 4 updates.

Anything else you guys can think of? It just seems the joysticks don't work very well... and I never had this problem in the past.

Ok, so... I wanted to try something. I have a few unopened boxes of the modern controller, so I opened one of them up and hooked it up, and the games started running perfectly. Missile Command Recharged still shoots over 5 squares... meaning I basically am unable to really aim in that game (anyone else have a different experience)? But Centipede is perfect, and now the other games are too.

Oddly enough, the original "modern" controller that I was using... it doesn't seem to do anything, and three of the four lights stay on, and they won't turn off. I'm curious if perhaps the controller is frozen. Is there a small Linux distro built into it? Is there a way to reset it?

I wonder if that controller is damaged somehow?

Thanks!

Ok, I kept fiddling with it, and discovered that if I hit D-Pad down and Y at the same time (like when you attempt to calibrate it), it then turned off. I then hit the Atari logo again and it repaired and now it's working fine.

Really weird.

I also bought some game called Mad Dude and this guy or something, and it's totally awesome.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I also bought some game called Mad Dude and this guy or something, and it's totally awesome.

Love that game. I feel like it is a steal for the price.

Glad you got the other issues sorted out! There are definitely some rough edges to the VCS but, on the whole, I really like mine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stirrell said:

Love that game. I feel like it is a steal for the price.

Glad you got the other issues sorted out! There are definitely some rough edges to the VCS but, on the whole, I really like mine.

Seriously, it was like $4 bucks, not even. Fantastic game!

I still can’t make Missile Command Recharged playable, but everything else seems to work. I suppose I shouldn’t be too concerned. I have a real one. I can’t imagine that the target is supposed to jump 5 spaces. Anyone else have the VCS recharged version?

I have not seen that jumping outside of a bug caused by attempting to use the mouse button. Hard to say what is going on. Check to see if the firmware on your controllers needs updating, maybe. Are you connecting wired (through a USB cable) or over Bluetooth? Might be worth trying the other. Another thing to try is to go into System - Devices - Calibrate Controllers and see if calibrating the joystick helps. Finally, check the sensitivity settings in MC: R to see if it maybe it turned up all the way?

On 11/7/2022 at 10:44 AM, Mockduck said:

I have not seen that jumping outside of a bug caused by attempting to use the mouse button. Hard to say what is going on. Check to see if the firmware on your controllers needs updating, maybe. Are you connecting wired (through a USB cable) or over Bluetooth? Might be worth trying the other. Another thing to try is to go into System - Devices - Calibrate Controllers and see if calibrating the joystick helps. Finally, check the sensitivity settings in MC: R to see if it maybe it turned up all the way?

Yeah, no mouse... but I am definitely thinking of getting one. All my controllers are updated (including the new one I just opened after updating it). I've also calibrated all of my joysticks too. I'll check out the sensitivity for MC... it might be, I'll check... thank you!

On 11/7/2022 at 10:45 AM, Mockduck said:

There is also an App called Test Game Pad under Apps in the Store, try that out and see if anything is odd.

Thank you, I will try that later tonight. I appreciate it!

On 11/6/2022 at 9:14 PM, 82-T/A said:

Seriously, it was like $4 bucks, not even. Fantastic game!

I still can’t make Missile Command Recharged playable, but everything else seems to work. I suppose I shouldn’t be too concerned. I have a real one. I can’t imagine that the target is supposed to jump 5 spaces. Anyone else have the VCS recharged version?

Did you download the Firmware update for the Modern controller? Missing that can cause the controller to act strange during certain games.