IGNORED

My games not working on Dragonfly?

Ecernosoft

Hello!

I just wanted to say that It's Conner Time  will NOT work on dragonfly, as of V13.25. 

People have been upset with me because of this. But I wanted to say some things:

1. I'm only 14, ok? I'm trying my best. ICT3 isn't supposed to be awesome or anything, it's mostly to be "The platformer on Atari" like how Nintendo had Mario and Sega had Sonic.

2. I don't have a dragonfly. Therefore I can't test on one.

3. DO NOT PLAY OUTDATED VERSIONS, THEN YELL AT ME BECAUSE IT DOSEN'T WORK!!! I don't like when people do this because I update ALL THE TIME.

However, it DOES work on Concerto. 

I've reached out to @rj1307 asking for help. Please, don't be mad at me ok? I'm trying to fix it, but if it STILL WON'T WORK, I will put a disclaimer on the game. 

@Ecernosoft If I recall correctly, the reason your builds don't work on Dragonfly is because you don't have proper .A78 headers in the files. The DF cart only sees and supports files with the .a78 extension and additional header information at the beginning of the file. If that isn't present, the DF will show it because the extension matches but won't actually be able to run it because it doesn't know how to set itself up without that A78 header info telling it what kind of cart it is...etc.

If that isn't the case anymore, then yes you need to reach out @rj1307 privately and provide him with the code you are working on to see if he can figure out what is going on. The DF I'm sure is able to run it as there is much more advanced stuff it can do that most other carts can't as yet.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

@Ecernosoft If I recall correctly, the reason your builds don't work on Dragonfly is because you don't have proper .A78 headers in the files. The DF cart only sees and supports files with the .a78 extension and additional header information at the beginning of the file. If that isn't present, the DF will show it because the extension matches but won't actually be able to run it because it doesn't know how to set itself up without that A78 header info telling it what kind of cart it is...etc.

If that isn't the case anymore, then yes you need to reach out @rj1307 privately and provide him with the code you are working on to see if he can figure out what is going on. The DF I'm sure is able to run it as there is much more advanced stuff it can do that most other carts can't as yet.

Hmmmm... that shouldn't be the case. And I reached out to @rj1307

DragonFly users perhaps can try this file and see if it works:

It's Conner Time 3 (v14_0) (20221107).a78

pokey@450 has been stripped from the header. 

Recently, mentioned in another thread, all the Conner game files posted result in a blank screen under the A7800 emulator when pokey@450 is present in the header.  Initialization, or how POKEY is being accessed, may need to be reviewed.

*EDIT:  From what I recall, all 48K and under POKEY games (I.E. Ballblazer, Beef Drop, Froggie, Pac-Man Collection (Original 160 Mode)) leverage @4000.  It could possibly be the 48K ROM leveraging pokey@450 is the, or part of the, issue.  Such a configuration being presented by these games may not have inherent support built in for it under A7800 or DragonFly.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Trebor said:

DragonFly users perhaps can try this files and see if it works:

It's Conner Time 3 (v14_0) (20221107).a78 48.13 kB · 1 download

pokey@450 has been stripped from the header. 

Recently, mentioned in another thread, all the game files posted result in a blank screen under the A7800 emulator when pokey@450 is present in the header.  Initialization, or how POKEY is being accessed, may need to be reviewed.

*EDIT:  From what I recall, all 48K and under POKEY games (I.E. Ballblazer, Beef Drop, Froggie, Pac-Man Collection (Original 160 Mode)) leverage @4000.  It could possibly be the 48K ROM leveraging pokey@450 is the, or part of the, issue.  Such a configuration being presented by these games may not have inherent support built in for it under A7800 or DragonFly.

Ok!!!

Thanks!

Gentlemen, for tests I checked the ICT on the original 48kB cartridge (Mario Bros) replacing the EPROM with the programmed ICT3_V13.5 batch
Of course, I included removing the header and moving the data in memory. THE GAME DOES NOT START, it behaves exactly the same as in DF.
I'm not a developer but in my opinion the problem is somewhere in the game code or build settings.

• Like 4

The rom is unsigned, so it will only run on PAL units, or flash carts and emulators that bypass the encryption check. If you run 7800sign to try and sign the rom, this is the output:

Read $C000 bytes of cartridge data.
Cartridge reset vector points outside hashed area!

Checking with a hex editor... it seems the reset vector is $4000, while the encryption hash byte is $87, which is instructing the bios to check the signature from $8000-$FFFF. This isn't a valid config.

Changing the encryption hash byte to $47 ($4000-$FFFF) allows the cart to be signed.

It's Conner Time 3 (v14_0) (20221107) HASHFIX.a78

• Like 10

On 11/8/2022 at 1:49 PM, RevEng said:

The rom is unsigned, so it will only run on PAL units, or flash carts and emulators that bypass the encryption check. If you run 7800sign to try and sign the rom, this is the output:

Read $C000 bytes of cartridge data.
Cartridge reset vector points outside hashed area!

Checking with a hex editor... it seems the reset vector is $4000, while the encryption hash byte is $87, which is instructing the bios to check the signature from $8000-$FFFF. This isn't a valid config.

Changing the encryption hash byte to $47 ($4000-$FFFF) allows the cart to be signed.

It's Conner Time 3 (v14_0) (20221107) HASHFIX.a78 48.13 kB · 10 downloads

now it works....but with lots of bugs 😭

But it works on Dragonfly.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

@Ecernosoft, looks like there is help and support here.

....... sorry to say, but things have changed, I'm not going to continue development on 7800 for now.

On 11/10/2022 at 11:28 AM, gambler172 said:

One question Ecerno

Where are you from?

I'm from the USA, but I use concerto so things work fine for me.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:23 PM, Eagle said:

Guys, I have no idea what you talking about. 
It’s working fine with my Dragonfly. 
:D

072F6AFF-B096-4B32-ACB3-C4CC150CD9AB.thumb.jpeg.c187f5a82c361988347b2618fac1ad68.jpeg

Hey!!!!!! :D