IGNORED

838-Bus Mouse Adapter

Shift838

I had some time this weekend and proved out a Logitech bus mouse to Geneve bus mouse adapter.  I used a Logitech Series 9 bus mouse 3 button.  

There was no documentation I could find on the internet showing the pinouts, so I reached out to Logitech and was told this 35 year old bus mouse was proprietary hardware and they would not release the wiring pinout to me, so I had to crack it open.

I just needed to verify which pin was 5v and ground on the Logitech.  All other pins I used jumper wires to figure out.

I got it working and I added 4 position dip switch to select between left or right handed users.

I have found the Microsoft BUS Mouse that uses the InPort card, it has the same pinout for their 3 button mouse and also should work.  Although, I do not have one of those to test and do not plan on tracking one down.

The Vintage Leaguer International Corp. 400 DPI Bus Mouse LG-BM-3816 should also work as it has the same pinout as well.  Waiting for one to test.

The one I have tested with is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394295527718?epid=1429769238&hash=item5bcdd84926:g:xUQAAOSwDwZjUF49&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsBWXdKk04SoXVs7GXPuvP8WxmJ1UsWSc0YmfH0mcMqecqby%2FQJIyq6unFy5uicALdadrgQzXs%2BnGyBPxZcNfJzxZZkLqN71L1xRvad2eKd0f5y9602var2oM97CdlqkUXeKKmkRZpzgCPvg%2FUMq0YIdoY3%2BFs5AR4J24kEwh2PfUWkVRQpxShyBiDngR%2B%2FmWNLYlT0YZHSBKoJu%2FNNXNPfloy9jHQOHGqBg0Rtn7eadU|tkp%3ABk9SR-Shjf-JYQ

I’ll be working up a prototype board to order over the next few days.

16EFA438-9A89-4C3C-9E1E-B2BDE9206AA6.jpeg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The original Geneve mouse is a rebadged 3-button Z-Nix Turbo Mouse. The Geneve uses the bus mouse variant, but the inside wiring for the Z-Nix serial mice can actually be rearranged to make it work like the bus mouse. I didn't see the Turbo Mouse on sale when I looked on eBay today, but I did see some other Z-Nix 3-button mice and even a Z-Nix trackball mouse.

• Like 2

I received my prototype boards and all work.  I flipped the dip switch, so the Left and Right settings are reversed.  I have flipped it for the final order.

As you can see its fairly small.  Left and right switching works with no issues.

I have tested on both the Logitech Series 9 bus mouse (should work on series 2 bus 3 button as well, but i dont' have one to test - so no guarantee).  Also tested on Vintage Leaguer International Corp. 400 DPI Bus Mouse LG-BM-3816.

If you are interested in ordering, then send me a PM with quantity, email address and shipping address and I will get you a pre-order invoice.  I will be selling them for $15 plus shipping.  If you need a pigtail for the Geneve if it's in a different case, I will sell a 1-foot pigtail for a DB9 Male to DB9 Female for $7.00

I will be cutting orders off on December 6th.  

If there is not enough orders to warrant a production order, then I will just release the gerbers.

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

PCBs came in today.  Put them together and one of the runs I had to sever a ground trace and jumper, but they work great.

I have 2 options.

Option 1. standalone 838-BUS Mouse adapter board, will plug right into the geneve mouse port.

$15.00 + shipping (does not come with cable pictured unless ordered - only needed if Geneve is inside a different type of PC case).

If you want to add a extension cable with a DB9 Female on one end and DB9 Male on the other, it's $7.00 additional for a 12 inch cable.  for 18" $9.00 additional

Option 2 (Made for the new 838-PEB board).  Same footprint as the Geneve ATX Video/Keyboard/Audio breakout but with the 838-BUS Mouse Adapter added, comes with a 1 ft cable to plug from the Geneve to the breakout board.

$55.00 + shipping

See photos..

I only have a couple left for the Geneve Breakout with the BUS adapter added.  I have 20 of the stand-alone bus adapter.

If you want one then PM me with your shipping information and what you want, and email.  i'll invoice you.

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg