IGNORED

HSC19 R17: GHOSTBUSTERS

:music: There' something strange, in your high score club, who ya gonna call?

GHOST BUSTERS HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA :D

GHOSTBUSTERS

I thought we'd played this not long ago but can't find anything. Holding off the mighty Necromancer in the poll the Ghost Busters are in need of our help. I think once I did get to the end bit but am sure you need to use the codes to get lots of kit at the start so shall we do that? Looking at my old notebook: "For $1,000,000 at the start don't type in a name just press Return and enter Y for an account - NUMBER 31222646. When playing press B for Ghost Bait when there is a Marshmellow Warning. Press Space bar in music for a surprise!"

Instructions on atarimania

http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/Ghostbusters.pdf

To get to the next stage of the game you need to make enough money to have more than what you started with. OK leave it to everyone to explore and have fun, whatever code you use post your final $ and starting $ values please :)

Looks like pause is the [Atari Key] (inverse) :cool: [Space] is a status report

ghostbusters_7.gif.14a457363a52a6fe01032a526dff3c85.gifghostbusters_3.gif.a311d58e91ed7b387ca878a6d766e27f.gifGhostbusters

Anyone know any more please post should be fun but there is a lot of driving around I think :ponder:

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1982

Fandal has comments: use name "HERBIE" and account number "05250624" for start with $504.500

what difference does this make ? Try and report back folks ;)

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-ghostbusters_6055.html

Round ends Monday 21st Nov 8pm UK time or earlier if we've had enough?!!

Round now ends Friday 25th Nov 4pm UK time :roll:

Edited by therealbountybob
Round now ends Friday 25th Nov 4pm UK time

These codes should supposedly also work:

[ Blank name ] + code 458 = $1,000,000

[ Blank name ] + code 614 = $300,000

TRON + code 00000999 = $240,000

GOO + code 99999999 = $244,900

MUSTIS + code 11111111 = $244,900

ANDY + code 00000777 = $1,620,000

There is an algorithm for how those name + code = money are calculated.

There also is a calculator and in this case, I hope that Atari equals C64.

Edited by carlsson

You end up with a final balance, which I suppose you can subtract from your starting balance to get a net. However like trbb writes, the more money you can spend from the start, the better car and equipment you can get, and probably reach further into the game. Alternatively everyone start from scratch $10,000 and see if anyone can win the game in a single round from lowest settings.

16 hours ago, Deteacher said:

So, how are we scoring this game?  Especially if we're allowed to use codes to start with more money.  ;)

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

You end up with a final balance, which I suppose you can subtract from your starting balance to get a net. However like trbb writes, the more money you can spend from the start, the better car and equipment you can get, and probably reach further into the game. Alternatively everyone start from scratch $10,000 and see if anyone can win the game in a single round from lowest settings.

How about we all use the £1,000,000 starting code - if anyone wants to play from scratch that is ok too - is it possible to get anywhere playing that way? Anyone ever beaten the game? We would value your opinion ;)

I believe I reached Zuul once (on the C64 version) but not completed the game. But yes, it seems fair to everyone to use a $1,000,000 code so you can get best possible conditions to reach far.

A hot tip is that if you buy the laser compacting unit, you only need one trap and go to HQ every now and then to empty the laser. Without that device, you usually want three traps so you can capture as many ghosts before going to HQ to empty the traps. When starting at $10,000 the laser unit is much too expensive to buy but with $1,000,000 it is a given.

3 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

How about we all use the £1,000,000 starting code - if anyone wants to play from scratch that is ok too - is it possible to get anywhere playing that way? Anyone ever beaten the game? We would value your opinion ;)

I've beaten it, starting with the $10,000.  Since you only have to make up that 10K, it's easier.  It's harder if you buy everything because you have to earn so much more to break even.

21 hours ago, Deteacher said:

I've beaten it, starting with the $10,000.  Since you only have to make up that 10K, it's easier.  It's harder if you buy everything because you have to earn so much more to break even.

:thumbsup:

Instructions on atarimania

http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/Ghostbusters.pdf

So to get to the next stage of the game you need to make enough money to equal what you started with OK leave it to everyone to explore and have fun, whatever code you use post your final $ and starting $ values please :)

Looks like pause is the Atari Key (inverse) :cool: B as mentioned is Ghost Bait and Space is a status report - will add to 1st post :)

On 11/8/2022 at 5:18 PM, therealbountybob said:

How about we all use the £1,000,000 starting code

I just read on the C64-Wiki that it is not possible to accumulate more than $990,000 in the game, so if we start at $1,000,000 it will be unwinnable. A lower sum like $300,000 or so will be plenty for all upgrades you want, and still be able to reach a higher sum at the end. But as Deteacher wrote, the more money you spend on equipment, the more money you need to earn back. If you don't burn too much at the beginning, it will be easier to reach the endgame.

Btw 458 (one million) only works on the C64 but 614 ($300,000) works on A8 too.

On 11/10/2022 at 5:42 PM, Sikor said:

Remember, than you must more money to the end of game than on start. I played it many times and end it.

Played GB (emulation) for the first time in ages, from the default balance I was doing ok and got to 8,900 ish but then it all went to pot and the Marshmellow Guy kicked the cr*p out of everything so my final balance was a measly £500 :D

Think I could have got over 10k but needed to save the ghost baits that I tested (thanks carlsson 😦 :!: ) to lure them away at the tricky stage. Pressing B works but only 3 times for the bait assuming you bought some!

Wasn't sure of best tactics esp at the start - whether to just wait for a building to light up or to drive around flattening ghosts?

Will play again :)

Balls Up.png

Ghost Bait B works.png

Marshy.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Good to see some players posting!

This round now ends Tuesday 22nd 4pm UK time

3 traps and the ghost bait was on my shopping list!

Thank you for the extra day - I was on holiday last week and this week my kids are here so I've had zero time to play.  The extra night helps me fit this in before it's too late!!!

• Like 1

Here are my tips (starting with the base $10,000.

Shopping:  Get the hearse.  Buy the PK detector (Lets you know where the next haunting will take place by flashing pink when you're near it.)  Also get the image intensifier, the vacuum and ghost bait.  Do not buy the marshmallow sensor.  You don't need to know where MM is going to strike.  Just be ready to hit "B" when you see the ghosts run to a building.  Finally, buy 3 traps.  This will leave you with $1,300 in your pocket.  Now, you only have to make $8,800 in order to have a shot at getting to the end of the game.

City Map:  In the beginning of the game, there isn't much to do, so if you're waiting for a ghost to show up, use that time, trying to find where they're going to show up.  If you bought the PK detector, a building will flash pink (on NTSC machines) When your Ghostbusters logo is next to it.  Then, drive to that building and wait.  Once the building starts flashing red, you're there, ready to catch the slimer.

Wait for the roaming ghosts to get close to ZUUL.  Moving your Ghostbusters logo over them on the map screen freezes them in their tracks.  Then, go suck them all up in one shot.  Once the game gets really fast, there's no point in even trying to stop them, especially since you don't get any money for sucking them up.  Shift your focus to catching slimers.

Catching Slimers:  Drop your trap in the center of the screen.  My strategy may be a little unorthodox, but I urge you to try it, if you're having trouble catching them.  Have both of your men facing the same direction, with their "streams" going in the same direction.  Not only does it eliminate the chance of "crossing the streams", you can really squeeze the slimer in between your particle beams and it seems to make it easier to catch him when you fire off the trap.  See attached pic.  Also, keep in mind, the faster you catch a slimer, the more money you get.  I think the max you can get is $900.

Marshmallow Man:  You don't have to worry about MM until the PK meter gets over 5,000.   Be ready to hit your "B" key each time you're going out to the city map, once the PK meter gets over 5,000.  You'll see "MARSHMALLOW ALERT run across the screen.  That's your cue to drop some bait.  You'll get $2,000 each time you avert a Marshmallow Man catastrophe.  But if MM destroys a building, you lose $5,000.  You can still make it to the end if MM destroys 1 building, but if he destroys a 2nd one, you're pretty much done.  You get 5 dollops of ghost bait, so use them ONLY when MM is attacking a building.

Ending Sequence:  There really isn't much to say here.  Get 2 of your guys past MM as he guards the entrance to ZUUL.  It's all about figuring out the timing, which isn't really too hard to do.  If you get 2 guys past MM, you're treated to a final scene and a $5,000 bonus.

Happy hunting!

The squeeze.png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dammit I played just now on a break.  Started at 10k.  Caught a few ghosts, was up to $6200, and the game crashed.  So no picture but at least that puts me on the board for now.

I'm going to try another xex unless the problem was the fact it was an xex and not an atr image?  I'm still planning on playing to finish.  It obviously is just one of those games where you need a good chunk of time and I haven't had that lately.  But I do remember playing this as a teen, I'm pretty sure my starting setup is exactly the same even LOL

EDIT:  Maybe I should have stuck with my crash LOL.  I finished the game with a 10k start and a 0k finish.  I managed so save one Marshmallow Man disaster but got hit but like 4 more LOL

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Technically this round ended 40 minutes ago, but I don't see any announcement of the next round so I suppose late scores will be accepted for a while.

TRBB said on the weekend sometime that it was ending Tuesday not today.  So I'm still good!  Ish LOL

• Like 1