IGNORED

Does anyone sell an s video board?

Matt300ZXT

I got a Gen 1 Genesis yesterday and want to put s video in it.  I have jacks to install stereo out of the back and an s video jack to use, but I need the little amplifier board that takes chroma and luma and boosts thems to send out to wires into the s video jack.  I don't really want just loose transistors, resistors, and capacitors just dangling around and I don't want to build one on a breadboard or whatever.  Does anyone in the community sell these, or at least the blank board for me to put components on?

Ah yeah, the JVC X'eye here in the States....knew a guy who had one back in the day.  I found a site that prints circuit boards and they have a file for the s video amplifier, but I have to buy 3 and it'll take about 2 weeks.  Was hoping someone in the community made them and had some on hand.  

1 hour ago, Matt300ZXT said:

Ah yeah, the JVC X'eye here in the States....knew a guy who had one back in the day.  I found a site that prints circuit boards and they have a file for the s video amplifier, but I have to buy 3 and it'll take about 2 weeks.  Was hoping someone in the community made them and had some on hand.  

Have you sent a message to Luke over at console5 to see if he might have the parts to put one together? The board kits he used to sell is pretty much all I was using when adding s-vid to model 1 Genesis systems. I still have one in my daily driver genesis, although I only use my HDRetrovision cables from it these days through a 32x attached. 

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I don't think the X'Eye has S-video, just the Wondermega.

This is correct as I used to own an x-eye and it only had the standard 9-pin used on the model 2 and 32x etc. and RCAs for composite and audio output on the back.

8 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Have you sent a message to Luke over at console5 to see if he might have the parts to put one together? The board kits he used to sell is pretty much all I was using when adding s-vid to model 1 Genesis systems. I still have one in my daily driver genesis, although I only use my HDRetrovision cables from it these days through a 32x attached. 

They're out of stock on their site, but I did email yesterday to see if they had any plans to make more.  I'll probably just end up having to order one from the pcb place I found and wait a couple weeks.  

The other option is to do what I did before the PCBs were an option.  That is I used the schematics they show for the circuit in the wiki and ordered the parts separately from console5 and then wired it all together on a piece of perf board.  Wasn't pretty but it worked just as well. Made for a nice weekend project. 

34 minutes ago, Matt300ZXT said:

I've seen people use the perf board and if I HAVE to I guess I can, but I'd prefer a nice clean pcb :)

If it is for you personally, then does it really matter if it is on a nice looking PCB or not? To me, if I hand wire it up onto perf board for my own use, that makes is more mine and when it all works, it brings accomplishment as well. What I really miss is the SMD version of that board they offered for a brief time. It was so small, you could actually attach it to the top of the 1145 easily. I'm kinda glad I never got that many requests to install s-vid into Genesis systems though because anything that requires having to dial it in with the use of trimmers like that, just means that what I get adjusted to look best on my AV setup, isn't likely to match as well for the person that own the console I'm doing the work for. 

So in cases like that, I'd likely go with the even simpler kit that uses fixed value resistors and wire it up. In fact, I've heard of people that just use the simple kit and attach the components directly to each other on top of the 1145. I could likely do this now but at the time 10 years ago, I wasn't nearly as confident in my skills to do that.

Dammit...Console5 emails me and tells me they do have them in stock, needing assembled, about 30 minutes after my package from last night was picked up.  I searched Sega Genesis, CX1145, Neo Geo S Video....nothing.  He emails me with a link and it takes me right to a new listing :(

Since you installed them with the trimmer pots in the past, is it difficult to dial those in, or is it very obvious when you have the colors correct? 

The trimmers are mainly for adjusting the amount of luma and chroma that is sent to the display. Adjusting the chroma never seemed to do much on my AV setup. Like anything at all..nothing. But the Luma trimmer would change the brightness and stability of the picture through my AV setup. The 3rd trimmer I think is just if you use the composite output part. I never really wired that part up since the composite out on the console was fine already and it was one less jack to install on the back. 

So to sum up, the chroma trimmer never did anything on my AV setup that I could see but the Luma would.

And yes... just because C5 says something is out of stock doesn't meant that is actually the case. It could very well mean, they just don't have any of those kits made up due to lack of recent sales for them. Individual parts being out of stock is one thing, but kits... I always ask. Same with BIOS replacements on the site.