IGNORED

Controller chip and recap

Cls1984

Looking for some opinions on my Colecovision. I'm pretty sure the power switch needs to be taken apart and cleaned. The graphics are glitchy sometimes if I don't power it on and off. I bought the console 4 years ago and it had the same problem. I just sprayed contact cleaner in the switch and switched it on and off a bunch and that cleaned it up. Now that I have to take it apart again I'm going to disassemble the switch and clean it properly. I'm thinking while I'm in there I would replace the capacitors and add anti static chip to the controller ports. I was also considering replacing the controller chips while I'm at it. Everything works with the exception of the flakey power switch but to my understanding capacitor replacement is a preventative Maintenance thing and I've read the controller chips can be problematic on these consoles. 

• Like 1

Anti-static chip for the controller ports is a wise move.  There's also a composite mod that can be done so that you don't require the RF switcher box to connect to a tv anymore.  Other than that, 5volt RAM mod, maybe?  That would help in going to a small modern power supply later.  Speaking of which, be aware that a decades-old power supply can cause problems with the hardware.

Try to clean the cartridge slot out with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush as well as your cartridge teeth if they are dirty.  The slot is held on to the board using rivets so if you have to remove it, you'll have to destroy those and replace them, hopefully with something more easily removable.  I remember replacement cartridge slots can be bought if needed as its an off-the-shelf part still sold but I don't know where.