NorbertP

How do you pronounce "GTIA"?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "GTIA"?

• Gee Tee Aye Eh
    • Gee-Tier

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 11/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, NorbertP said:

If if forms a pronounceable word then we pronounce it as if it was a word. It's not just Brits, either - pretty much everyone pronounces "scuba" as "scoober" not "ess see you bee eh"; see also radar, PIN, sonar, etc. Furthermore, SCSI, ASCII, WYSIWYG, and probably a bunch of others that on the face of it aren't pronounceable are still almost universally rendered as words - scuzzy, ass-key, wizzywig - rather than read out one letter at a time.

Perhaps a better question is why do Americans not say "snezz"?

Idk. 

It's like saying "Why do brits say zed and not zee like we (I'm american) americans do?"

image.png.63a0edc17bdcd74afe755318493081b3.png

image.png

It seems every language pronounces the final letter as zed, except us Americans, who say Z.  

I say Gee Tee Eye Ayy.  I read the letters.   

Somewhat Related, my son says Gee You Eye for GUI interface.  I say Gooey interface because that’s how it was first said to me. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cafeman said:

It seems every language pronounces the final letter as zed, except us Americans, who say Z.  

I say Gee Tee Eye Ayy.  I read the letters.   

Somewhat Related, my son says Gee You Eye for GUI interface.  I say Gooey interface because that’s how it was first said to me. 

Same. I read the letters too, like how I pronounce TIA. Tee-Ayy-Aye. Gee-Tee-Iye-Aye.

On 11/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, NorbertP said:

pretty much everyone pronounces "scuba" as "scoober" not "ess see you bee eh"

"scoo-bah" or "scoo-buh" -- but never "scoo-ber"!

(I thought British folks dropped the trailing 'R' -- not that they added it elsewhere!)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DavidD said:

"scoo-bah" or "scoo-buh" -- but never "scoo-ber"!

(I thought British folks dropped the trailing 'R' -- not that they added it elsewhere!)

They do that in Boston.   Drop R sounds from words with R's (Hahvahd) and add it to other words "it's against the lawr! "  

• Like 1

When I watch Premier League football (or other European sports clubs) I usually say things in British English in which a city or club name is said as a plural, have instead of has, are instead of is, etc., here in North America I use American English and even sometimes mix it up between the two as well on occasion.

GTIA?

Oh,  I say it like I'm saying "Guitar", right?, Except I leave off the "itar" sound and then what I do is I pronounce the G as if it's "Gee",  Like when leave it to Beaver says, "Gee, Wally,  Dad's gonna be sore at us" And then I think of a cup of Tea so I say "Tea", then easy enough, I think of a beautiful girl and what happens is I notice her eyes, but I can only look at one eye at a time so I just say "Eye",  then I think of those hosers in Canada,  which I like to call "The Great White North",  and I remember how they sometimes tell me to "Take Off!,  Eh?", but of course that's too long so for brevity I just utter aloud the "Eh".  Simple.

• Haha 2

On 11/17/2022 at 7:27 PM, Stephen said:

Yes, it's always fun to make fun of how other people speak :) I was made fun of mercilessly as a super young kid for having an English accent (among I'm sure a dozen more), as both of my parents were born and raised over there (all aunts, uncles, etc.)  They never lost their accent so of course with that being all I ever heard, that's what I learned until pre-school.  Came home one day and asked "if I could talk American" - lol.  I don't remember this, was too young.  I think the only word I say funny to this day though, is garage (gar igz - ala Elton John's song Levon).

I have similar early memories as my parents are German immigrants so I learned both languages first and gradually lost the German to fit in at school. Then in high school and college I picked it up again but I'm still not quite fluent.

• Like 4