IGNORED

NYD 23

pps

6 minutes ago, popmilo said:

Couple frames from c64 were wider than 16 pixels (a hand sticking out further out from the body). I cut those :)
Then I just did scaling in gimp down to 12 pixels... Didn't change a pixel after that :)

Hey, you made the deadline. I was impressed.

One thing, off the top of my head, is that you shouldn't be limited (unless there's some other reason) to just two colors for the ninja sprite. So, for instance, the shadows (by his feet) wouldn't have to be a black dither: it could use the solid darker-gray (or whatever other color or colors might be fitting). The other thing that I was thinking is that some amount of antialiasing could be used on his sprite too. I messed around with it a bit already, and it helps things out. Also, one easy way to get hints for the antialiasing needed is to reconvert the sprites from the originals with a bilinear (or similar) filter; and I think this can be done in Photoshop using an indexed mode -- so you can limit the number of colors used when converting. This should automate the process enough to ease the hand editing needed.

48 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Hey, you made the deadline. I was impressed.

One thing, off the top of my head, is that you shouldn't be limited (unless there's some other reason) to just two colors for the ninja sprite. So, for instance, the shadows (by his feet) wouldn't have to be a black dither: it could use the solid darker-gray (or whatever other color or colors might be fitting). The other thing that I was thinking is that some amount of antialiasing could be used on his sprite too. I messed around with it a bit already, and it helps things out. Also, one easy way to get hints for the antialiasing needed is to reconvert the sprites from the originals with a bilinear (or similar) filter; and I think this can be done in Photoshop using an indexed mode -- so you can limit the number of colors used when converting. This should automate the process enough to ease the hand editing needed.

Yeah, I've tried other colors on ninja face, hands etc, but none looked good to me.
Don't know how much sense aliasing makes sense with such huge pixels...

For sure it could look better with added pixeling work. Colors for sprites are linked to background palette. One of bad sides of gtia mode 10 is that same registers are used for Player missile colors as for background. So adding details with pm is lost...

Still 9 is a lot more than 4-5 colors, and freedom to put any color anywhere is priceless imho.

ps. This was all done quickly just for nyd. I don't plan to spend more time on this. I'm just giving ideas if anyone else is interested :)

pps. I am using similar tech for something completely different though, but you'll have to wait to see it :)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, popmilo said:

Don't know how much sense aliasing makes sense with such huge pixels...

Oh, I think antialiasing can work with large pixels...

tear.thumb.png.36d43e57b4ac7e6901de28eb012c135b.png    clown.thumb.png.55d7eaebfd337a8e54015aba3938b85f.png

mandel1.thumb.png.e7936a1f4869fe22da78a53ef1cde75c.png    mandel2.thumb.png.09e070f91ea406c2e77e5c3a45e83825.png

One of bad sides of gtia mode 10 is that same registers are used for Player missile colors as for background. So adding details with pm is lost...

Still 9 is a lot more than 4-5 colors, and freedom to put any color anywhere is priceless imho.

Yeah, 10 is not all the mode that it could be. It still has uses, though.

1629991168_GTIA10.thumb.png.51450a15db9418a80f6506e2db7fbb4e.png

ps. This was all done quickly just for nyd. I don't plan to spend more time on this. I'm just giving ideas if anyone else is interested :)

pps. I am using similar tech for something completely different though, but you'll have to wait to see it :)

Oh, ok, I'll take you off the payroll then. :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Oh, I think antialiasing can work with large pixels...

Easy with so many luminescence available :)

For that one screen we have like green, black, grey, red, white, yellow, brownish and those basic colors already spent seven out of 9 available colors :)
Try making aliasing with those colors ;)

5 minutes ago, popmilo said:

Easy with so many luminescence available :)

I'm exaggerating my point, of course (don't expect your last ninja to look like any of those :D ).

5 minutes ago, popmilo said:

Try making aliasing with those colors ;)

You have black and two grays, which is exactly what I was using. As I said, it's an improvement already.

I really enjoyed browsing through all the entries, I liked 256 color plasma very much, although it would benefit from some less detailed graphics in favour of better framerate, miker animations were also cool, superogue 256b was very nice and fready's intro gave me chills

Edited by gorgh
typo
  • Like 2