IGNORED

Season 21 Round 6 - Trog!

asponge

Here's a different Pac-Man like arcade port.  Unless there are objections I think it's fair to pick your own difficulty for this one.  Easy feels a bit too easy, but I don't want to force a higher difficulty if folks would rather keep it laid back.

739570445_TrogCartridge.png.3e7d40386a32749b3d51fb08c0326fb6.png 1147453379_TrogScreenshot.png.d07bfd229678f210c6938929b3b4c622.png

Game Rules:
Select any difficulty level

No Continues

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday January 1 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Score:

2,773,590 by Lauren Tyler posted on 2/20/2008

Scores as of 12/12:

mbd39        3,493,565
fakecortex   3,481,040
Razzie.P     3,036,615

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.af5cff88aca6f9af314327fe3fce20f6.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Season points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I guess I'm okay with starting on any difficulty. You do get a points bonus for starting on a harder difficulty.

That's why I figured it was fair.  You can either grind out a good score on easy (maybe) or score some bonus points due to a greater challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to check this one out, and I like it.  It's another one of those "can't believe I've never played it before."  According to the manual, there's a spiffy looking arcade cabinet too.

On 11/15/2022 at 8:14 PM, asponge said:

That's why I figured it was fair.  You can either grind out a good score on easy (maybe) or score some bonus points due to a greater challenge.

Anyone noticed and advantage/disadvantage to starting on "Hard," yet, other than saving some time by starting at a later level?   I could be wrong, but seems you only get that 400,000 Level Bonus one time.   And playing through those 1st few stages (while quite easy) I have over a million by the time I get to that level, depending on how how lucky I get with the pineapple spawns.

• Like 2

Cute game, but rather slow in the beginning. I tried on easy and expert, and I scored a lot higher on easy bc of those early levels. If we play again in the future, I’d say we start on expert just to do away with the strategy of trudging through early levels for more points. It’s fair, just slow, and I like to jump right into the action. I do enjoy eating the trogs :D

Trog - 3,481,040 easy

811D78B0-6FBA-4083-9213-7335FC7CC71B.thumb.jpeg.429b967530af70761c942cbe4b5877b3.jpeg

edit- also, I think the between level animation is exceptionally well done. The levels look nes, but something about your dino hopping around the score screen and the little designs give it an arcade feel. 

It seems like it would play well with 2 players, will have to try. Looks like the arcade did 4!

Edited by fakecortex
Extra

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Gets a bit tricky (to me, at least) when you have to keep up with the symbols on the buildings.

I like that part, but what gets me is when it lets you out right before falling off the face of the world and you have to make a quick turn. Or start punching a Trog. Or you accidentally go through and land on fire. So yeah, tricky, lol.

18 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Can confirm, this game shines with 2 players! :)

edit: it looks great in the arcade! I would've loved for this to have been a four-score game!

I think even the NES version looks great for NES. Very attractive cartoony graphics.

They could've ported this to 16-bit systems for graphics much more like the arcade but that may have been overkill for a simple Pac-Man clone.

BTW, the most annoying part is accidentally walking off the edge. One of the most aggravating deaths in any game lol.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 4:29 PM, fakecortex said:

It seems like it would play well with 2 players, will have to try.

It is fun. We had a "friend" who had this, and we played it quite a few times.

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Kind of a slow thread. But I can see how people have been preoccupied with other things this time of year. I know I waited until this late to play and get a score.

Oops.
It completely slipped my mind >_<

• Like 1

I had forgotten that we took a break around this time last year since folks tend to be busy.  Let's do that again this year.  I'm going to extend this one until January if anyone wants to get a score in before then.

The king of the hill thread seems like a failed experiment.  Is anyone interested in continuing that or should it be swept under the rug and we'll move on?

Otherwise, I'll see if there's a fun one-off to post within the next month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 10:31 PM, fakecortex said:

I was thinking about the KotH contest the other day. I’m down for continuing it through this season and see if it gains momentum. I’ll jump into those games, and a bit more of Trog, throughout December. 

Well, that didn't happen. I've been seriously slacking on video games lately. Great score @Asaki! This was a fun one, and something I'd like to check out in the arcade.

Just wanted to check in.  I haven't forgotten about this.  The whole family caught covid recently and we've been working through it for the last couple of weeks.  I personally just started feeling better over the weekend.  Anyway, I have a boatload of things both personally and professionally to catch up on over the next few weeks.  I don't think I'm going to have time to get the HSC back on track until February.  Seems like everyone is busy and/or taking a break anyway so I'm guessing this isn't much of a problem.  Again, just wanted to check in.  Thanks for your patience.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1