IGNORED

GEOS 2.0 for 8-bit Atari

Good news for fans of graphical user interfaces. GEOS 2.0 was ported from Commodore to Atari by a Polish Commodore fan: Maciej "YTM" Witkowiak from the demoscene group Elysium. You can read (listen if you know Polish) about it on AtariOnline.pl:

http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=nowinki&ucat=1&subaction=showfull&id=1668428074

The project is posted on GitHub and well described in English, so I invite you to read it. You can help the author in using the SIO (floppy disk, printer), because he has not done it yet.

https://github.com/ytmytm/geos-atari

aol_geos.jpg

GEOS_(p1).png

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

I played with it yesterday for a while. Looks nice, especially on a VBXE - yet, not always (I managed to glitch the cursor in one of the applications and hang another one). What I especially like is, it perfectly works with Rapidus, it is much more responsive and I noticed no other problems as mentioned earlier. So - great piece of software.

Composite: image.thumb.jpeg.9e837a7c06778d2f5b0c1c9c0e2d6278.jpeg

VBXE: image.thumb.jpeg.4032b2fe7b618c48f6b3d15ab4ba5503.jpeg

(both on the same monitor)

• Like 5

it uses C64 attribute memory for atari PM graphics (pointer and text cursor), so if an app modifies attribute memory, it screws-up the sprites.

I am nevertheless totally fascinated that C64 coder did this feat, I wouldn't even know where to start ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BOSS-XL is compiled Turbo Basic IIRC.

This is a completely new kernel in 6502 assembly (or a kernal as Commodore people tend to call it). A new OS, with a completely new "memory map". Hence it cannot easily leverage the SIO routines in the Atari OS ROM. But if Hiassoft's routines can be assembled without Atari OS dependencies, that would be a winner. I assume they can. They only rely on Pokey and polling. No OS interrupts or anything.

• Like 1

Technically, BOSS-X is a collection of similar looking Turbo-BASIC programs, while GEOS utilizes a Kernal for providing commonly needed functionality in GEOS programs.

Turbo-BASIC is made especially for Atari 8 Bit Computers, GEOS is portable between 6502 platforms (well kind of, probably more portable than the original authors were thinking of).

BOSS-X is written and running in BASIC, GEOS is a machine language system.

GEOS was commercially successful with lots of apps while the targeted platform, especially the C64, had its commercial high-times, and was still in production. BOSS-XL/XE (1993-1999) and BOSS-X (2000-2022) were initiated when the Atari was already a historical machine.

GEOS had quite usable, well working office apps. Still the C64 didn't find the way into work-offices, but private ones.

BOSS-X offers just a desktop and a filemanager, a ton of File-Viewers, which have been re-invented by Apple as QuickView, and some utilities. But I never made it to create a simple plain text-editor in BASIC for BOSS-X or stand-alone.

GEOS is a commercial, usually copy protected product, BOSS-X is a free hobby-project and installable w/e you want (as long it is not SpartaDOS).

And it seems like GEOS is still in use and development, while BOSS-X development will stop in 2022.

Edited by atarixle
  • Like 3

Found the XEX versions here:  https://github.com/ytmytm/geos-atari/releases

Afaik, for SpartaDOS there is ATOS by Tom Hunt. And there was a compiled TB XL GUI from Poland  (Dial? Tristesse? Pin?)

Let's see how far he gets with GEOS. Diamond GOS was nice back in the day, but quite expensive and not very widespread.

• Like 3

Another option to implement some sort of disk access could be implementing IDE support for MyIDE/SIDE/AVG cart.

As far as I know there are four implementations. MyBIOS (by @mr-atari), the original U1MB firmware, @flashjazzcat's U1MB firmware and a SpartaDos X driver by the same author.

None of them are open source as far as I know, but reading and writing sectors through the IDE hardware registers is not particularly hard.

Best would be to limit yourself to 8-bit mode IDE, read: Compact Flash and the likes.

56 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Is there any particular reason GEOS can't call the SIO? It would thereby gain access to PBI hard disks, FAT-hosted ATRs, etc, without any new drivers having to be written at all.

The reason is that GEOS has a completely different memory map. BUT, with wrapper routines and setting and saving the Atari OS locations, it might work. Not sure about IRQ driven SIO though.

I think incorporating Hiassoft's SIO routines sans the Atari OS dependencies is easier. Just poking and polling Pokey.

8 minutes ago, ivop said:

The reason is that GEOS has a completely different memory map. BUT, with wrapper routines and setting and saving the Atari OS locations, it might work. Not sure about IRQ driven SIO though.

The only way I could think of to perform any kind of serial IO on my GOS (aside from painfully slow IO) is to completely shut down all the custom interrupts, freeze the mouse pointer, and then call the SIO (preferably polled, as you say, but whatever the OS provides, ideally).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

The only way I could think of to perform any kind of serial IO on my GOS (aside from painfully slow IO) is to completely shut down all the custom interrupts, freeze the mouse pointer, and then call the SIO (preferably polled, as you say, but whatever the OS provides, ideally).

Dumb question - this does not hold true when loading off a PBI based HDD right?