IGNORED

mt32-pi

dhe

5 hours ago, dhe said:

Which pi hat did you buy? What cable did you use? What software did you test with?

Same for me: mt32-pi "just works". I'm using standard DIN 41524 5-pin cables (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector) and did some tests with Cubase and some Sierra games. MIDI capable games must be configured to use MT32 or General MIDI - have a look for "other executables" in games folder, i.e. MUSIC.PRG for Sierra games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Atari8guy said:

You need the PI...  (you don't actually need the hat, if you're willing to buy a MIDI to USB cable (get a good one, the cheap ones don't work)).  

Again sorry for STUPID question....but, with a rasp-pi does it need to be connected and set up like a regular computer, with mouse, keyboard, display etc.

Looking online for the cost of a rasp-pi and mt32-pi, I could get a used Roland MT32.

I have only used real PC's/Macs....😬.....not had any experience with pi.

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Again sorry for STUPID question....but, with a rasp-pi does it need to be connected and set up like a regular computer, with mouse, keyboard, display etc.

Looking online for the cost of a rasp-pi and mt32-pi, I could get a used Roland MT32.

No, no need to connect all that to set up the RPi. You format a micro-SD card. Extract a zip on to it. Configure a *cfg file for your need. For MT32 you need ROM images (control rom and pcm rom). They are not included for copyright reason, but can be found pretty easy on the net. For other systems you can emulate you can download other SoundFonts.

All of this is written on the wiki page of the github of this project: https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wiki

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

typically you can just download an SD card image and copy it to a real microSD card and pop it into the pi and boot.   A lot of times these are reasonably configured out of the box.

If you need further configurations, you could plug into a monitor/keyboard/mouse..   but a lot of Pi OSes  will allow remote configuration through ssh.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, snarkdluG said:

All of this is written on the wiki page of the github of this project: https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wiki

This says it needs a pi3,   I thought I saw someone running it on a pi zero in another thread?

just curious because I have a spare pi2 laying around and this would be a perfect use for it.  

37 minutes ago, snarkdluG said:

No, no need to connect all that to set up the RPi. You format a micro-SD card. Extract a zip on to it. Configure a *cfg file for your need. For MT32 you need ROM images (control rom and pcm rom). They are not included for copyright reason, but can be found pretty easy on the net. For other systems you can emulate you can download other SoundFonts.

snarkdluG has it right.  It will run headless (meaning no keyboard, mouse or display)...sometimes I have to pop the card out to change the .cfg file for MT32 or General Midi, but if you're just gaming, just pick one and leave it at that....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzip said:

This says it needs a pi3,   I thought I saw someone running it on a pi zero in another thread?

just curious because I have a spare pi2 laying around and this would be a perfect use for it.  

A pi 2 won't do it.

You need a pi3 or 4 (a or b) or a pi Zero 2

On 11/17/2022 at 12:14 AM, Atari8guy said:

You need the PI...  (you don't actually need the hat, if you're willing to buy a MIDI to USB cable (get a good one, the cheap ones don't work)).  

True, but if you don't use a hat with a DAC you'll have to use the Pis PWM audio output, which is low quality.

30 minutes ago, zzip said:

The Pi2's aren't that much weaker than Pi3's, so I'd be shocked if it really wasn't able to handle the task.

Pi2 would struggle and probably require overclocking/sound quality compromises.  Munt requires a non trivial amount of CPU power (in the SOC realm at least) to perform well.

On 11/17/2022 at 5:26 AM, dhe said:

Compared to some of the case mods I've seen, that's a VERY nice hat+case. Thanks for pointing it out.

I have this hat/case, it's quite nice : )

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zzip said:

The FAQ says a 2 might work but hasn't been extensively tested.

The Pi2's aren't that much weaker than Pi3's, so I'd be shocked if it really wasn't able to handle the task.

A later model 2 might be OK overclocked (they switched to the 64 bit SoC for later 2's)

On 11/18/2022 at 8:27 PM, poobah said:

A later model 2 might be OK overclocked (they switched to the 64 bit SoC for later 2's)

They came out a year apart and the specs aren't that different,  the Pi3 only has about a 33% faster clock than the Pi2 B models.  

Supposedly it does work with some configurations tweaks according to the author:

https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/issues/11

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, ggn said:

And for the people who want to try out more things on their MT32/MT32-pis, we released a small intro near Christmas:

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=93111

Apologies for not mentioning this sooner here, I simply forgot!

I mentioned your demo on twitter, Mastodon and Facebook but back then I didn't have mp32-pi and I completely forgot about it...

Now I will run your demo on real hardware, thanks!

• Like 1