IGNORED

"Swordquest Airworld" on the 50th Anniversary? Finished?

SoundGammon

7 hours ago, AAA177 said:

Just out of curiosity, who programmed Airworld, and was it done in assembly, and in the same manner as back in the 70s/80s, or was it with new tools? Any idea how long it took to complete? Thanks...

I've been told it is not running on the 2600 emulator, but is actually a "modern" game, written to look like it could have been done on the 2600.  I cannot confirm this.

31 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I've been told it is not running on the 2600 emulator, but is actually a "modern" game, written to look like it could have been done on the 2600.

Yes, that looks indeed to be the case by seeing clips of the game (e.g.from  this video). And I would have been very surprised of the contrary. IMHO, there's just no chance that the current Atari would develop a new game for the VCS.

326633873_Atari50TheAnniversaryCelebrationNewGamesTrailer-NintendoSwitch-YouTube-019.thumb.jpeg.6db43aa61b82d56dd1a61bc204146fc8.jpeg

19296102_Atari50TheAnniversaryCelebrationNewGamesTrailer-NintendoSwitch-YouTube-044.thumb.jpeg.b22259b68bad15532132ac2f875bd58f.jpeg

1863413908_Atari50TheAnniversaryCelebrationNewGamesTrailer-NintendoSwitch-YouTube-045b.thumb.jpeg.97c341b0049ece0af798d651f5dcc363.jpeg

445173540_Atari50TheAnniversaryCelebrationNewGamesTrailer-NintendoSwitch-YouTube-046.thumb.jpeg.09e5546114b89b883446fd0ada230137.jpeg

1765984368_Atari50TheAnniversaryCelebrationNewGamesTrailer-NintendoSwitch-YouTube-048.thumb.jpeg.33b92916d2c985b351faa7cdd92b780d.jpeg

While the original prototype has never surfaced, programmer Tod Frye has described the game design in some detail, e.g.

http://www.digitpress.com/faq/swordquest/swordquest_revisted.htm

Does the "Reimagined" version follow the original design? The few bits that I have seen (so far) suggest that it does not, but I have not played the game myself. 

23 minutes ago, jhd said:

While the original prototype has never surfaced, programmer Tod Frye has described the game design in some detail, e.g.

http://www.digitpress.com/faq/swordquest/swordquest_revisted.htm

Does the "Reimagined" version follow the original design? The few bits that I have seen (so far) suggest that it does not, but I have not played the game myself. 

The new game was written using modern tools and made to look like a 2600 game.  It is based on Tod Frye’s original concept and plays just like the other 3 games in the series.  I was hoping there would be a comic book as well to complete the story but we didn’t get that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

64 Rooms in an 8x8 grid with 25 Objects = lots of permutations of objects and rooms!
There are 4 kinds of action sequences to get past, repeated a few times in different rooms.
I believe when you complete one, it's done and the room stays open.

Each room has a written clue in the instruction manual for what object(s) might be required.

I don't know if the clues need to be found in a certain order, or are they like Waterworld where any order works?
I'm not sure if the clues are numeric, as there's no comic book pages/panels to look at.
You'd think they could've gotten an artist from one of the comic book companies to do a comic.

Eventually people will start finding some clues.
We should get a clue discussion going not sure if this thread is the place-

There is no Save-Game feature, so you'll have to leave the game running forever?!

• 3 months later...

Curious if anyone has "beaten" this game? I remember having fond memories of the Swordquest series as a kid. I found the concept fascinating and when my friend got the first game we stayed up until 1am (probably the latest I had intentionally stay up to that point) playing the game and finding clues.  The second game always seemed so less polished, but I can remember playing that one often as well. I knew the contest never finished and the last game was never made, I know over the years a few people said they were going to make a proper closing game, or hoaxed finding the lost game, but I was really excited to see it had finally happened! That said, I haven't played the new Airworld. I've pretty much been uprooted and life has been spastic the past few years. Hoping to get settled back down later this year and get a proper gaming room set back up and try it out. Anyways, I'd be curious to see what others think of the game now that it's been out for a bit.

• 2 months later...

Yup - people have finished all of Airworld - there are YouTube playthroughs of the entire Airworld.

I'm struggling to get the Airworld to launch from a Command Line for use on my emulator frontend.

The instructions Digital Eclipse gives on Steam don't seem to work.

I've tried

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Atari50>atari50 --game airworld
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Atari50>atari50 --game airworld --display 720p
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Atari50>atari50.exe -game airworld
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Atari50>atari50.exe -game airworld -display 720p
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Atari50>atari50.exe --display 720p --game airworld
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Atari50>atari50 --game airworld
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Atari50>atari50 -airworld

• 2 weeks later...