IGNORED

NEW Geneve 9640 facebook group

Shift838

21 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Another place for information to get walled off so it cannot be discovered...

I don't Facebook, but I can't imagine it is better than bringing people to Atariage. 

Agreed, but the problem is that for some people, Facebook is like AOL used to be: it *is* the Internet for them.  They feel safe there and are vehemently opposed to venturing outside their comfort zone.  Sometimes you just hafta go where the normies are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Another place for information to get walled off so it cannot be discovered...

I don't Facebook, but I can't imagine it is better than bringing people to Atariage. 

Only if that's the only place it's posted..

There are some that are only on facebook ...  and they won't come here no matter how many times I suggest it..  so having a group there is probably a good idea, however don't wall off the data, post it here too and the discord 

• Like 2

Or better yet, post answers on Atariage where they can have a lifespan greater than a few days, and post only links to Atariage as answers on Facebook. 

The geneve community is so small, and I am not a part of it. So they/you all can do whatever works for you.

I tried to find a geneve community here on Atariage when I had a geneve, but the answer to my questions were mostly vague, silence and/or weak references to the former walled off community. This is why my geneve and I have parted ways.

Hopefully Facebook will serve you better.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

There are some that are only on facebook ...  and they won't come here no matter how many times I suggest it.. 

This painfully shows me my own lack of empathy and understanding. The problem is, maybe I'm simply unable to leave my track of rational thinking. I feel like having a million good reasons to avoid FB, but they seem not to count for them.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mizapf said:

This painfully shows me my own lack of empathy and understanding. The problem is, maybe I'm simply unable to leave my track of rational thinking. I feel like having a million good reasons to avoid FB, but they seem not to count for them.

For some of us FB is the only way we'll ever see photos of our grandchildren. 😁

Edited by airernie
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, hloberg said:

discord do better?

So, I'm making a mistake here, I think. I have projected my desire for information sharing, when it is likely many want lower effort fellowship.

We have a geneve section in the unused discord server. So clearly discord does not do better. And it does worse as an information resource. 

I can imagine that threads on a forum feel too formal, and official (burdened with rules)

I am curious what @Shift838 was motivated by? For science!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Agreed, but the problem is that for some people, Facebook is like AOL used to be: it *is* the Internet for them.  They feel safe there and are vehemently opposed to venturing outside their comfort zone.  Sometimes you just hafta go where the normies are.

THIS is the internet ;)

Map-FULL-Internet--May-1973.thumb.jpg.7eb8120512e7d4f7dd0f51724d2d7473.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mizapf said:

I only know one reason why people do not want to to use Facebook: "My data 😭 "

And how will they know about tons of other reasons if they never used it ? 🤔

I always advise: Try it, and just do not enter any of your data. It´s that simple.

And the win of information on personally and special interests can or will be massive

PS: And it´s really big fun 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Schmitzi said:

I only know one reason why people do not want to to use Facebook: "My data 😭 "

And how will they know about tons of other reasons if they never used it ? 🤔

I always advise: Try it, and just do not enter any of your data. It´s that simple.

And the win of information on personally and special interests can or will be massive

Not my reason at all, actually.

My reason is rather that Facebook has become almost inevitable:

3 hours ago, airernie said:

if you don't use it, you will pay it with your friendships, with your social connections. The question remains: Can you afford it? And the answer of so many people seems to be no. An then we get this network effect: The more people use it, the more are the other people forced to join. No more reasoning about pros and cons, and away with all talks about digital sovereignty. Assimilate me.

I did not call for it, I don't want to contribute to this ubiquity in any way. This includes false profiles as well. If I'm using it by a false profile, I become part of the problem as a factual user by just using it, regardless of the verity of my profile.

I agree that my position may be extreme, but for this reason: No WhatsApp, and definitely - never - any Facebook. I just can't allow a single company to organize my life. If someone really wants to get in contact with me, there are plenty of other ways. If not, I don't care.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, airernie said:

I have this argument with my family frequently.  My daughter has finally acquiesced to *gasp* MMS or *double gasp* sending me a $%&@# email.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

It´s that simple.

I have a sock account for osint.  Does that count?

15 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

There are some that are only on facebook ...  and they won't come here no matter how many times I suggest it.. 

Or on Yahoo!... 🙄

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

So, I'm making a mistake here, I think. I have projected my desire for information sharing, when it is likely many want lower effort fellowship.

We have a geneve section in the unused discord server. So clearly discord does not do better. And it does worse as an information resource. 

I can imagine that threads on a forum feel too formal, and official (burdened with rules)

I am curious what @Shift838 was motivated by? For science!

my reasoning was that I really could not find any place that was just dedicated to the Geneve.  Here on AA, we talk about the Geneve in the 99/4A forums.  I know have gotten a bit frustrated trying to find something that I remember seeing about the Geneve here and other places that are not in a specific Geneve area, and with the sheer amount of post we have around the 99/4A, it sometimes can be cumbersome to find.  So, i thought maybe a FB group since there really was not one out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finding stuff requires curation.

My big beef with retro support groups on Facebook and discord is that there is usually even less curated knowledge that is self discoverable. The model becomes such that new members just have to ask all the obviously already answered questions again and again. And since that is the case, the longer term members just have to accept that they are the index. This totally works for some communities.

At least that has been my observation.

• Like 3

I joined the FB group, however, it is not something I would on any regular basis review.  I think AtariAge is the knowledgebase.  Granted, there are times I am searching for something I remember reading and want to pull up again.  Sometimes, it takes some effort.  On the other hand, FB in general would be extremely difficult to locate a specific discussion in a group if it is very active.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I joined the FB group, however, it is not something I would on any regular basis review.  I think AtariAge is the knowledgebase.  Granted, there are times I am searching for something I remember reading and want to pull up again.  Sometimes, it takes some effort.  On the other hand, FB in general would be extremely difficult to locate a specific discussion in a group if it is very active.

Maybe AA can create a Myarc Geneve 9640 and 9640 Development area!  that would be perfect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

I think AtariAge is the knowledgebase.

I absolutely agree with you.
I already don't see any interest in a 99/4A Facebook group and, in the same reason, I don't see interest in a Genny Facebook group. AtariAge became the core place of discussion for theses computers.  Scattering people discussion harms discussion and generates duplicates and a wast of time for people to read all in all places.

This goes for Facebook but also goes for Discords and all other chat places.

• Like 1

La persona che scrive, che ci crediate o no, non ha MAI usayo Facebook.. e sono sopravvissuto fino ad adesso!😁

Credo che se una persona, invece di scrivere in questo forum, voglia aprire una pagina Facebook, faccia in modo che sia aperta a tutti! Grazie!

P.s. una domanda rivolta a tutti: perché sulle pagine di Facebook "aperte", è sparita la possibilità di leggere i commenti?

Grazie!

1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

I absolutely agree with you.
I already don't see any interest in a 99/4A Facebook group and, in the same reason, I don't see interest in a Genny Facebook group. AtariAge became the core place of discussion for theses computers.  Scattering people discussion harms discussion and generates duplicates and a wast of time for people to read all in all places.

This goes for Facebook but also goes for Discords and all other chat places.

weird I have over 1200 people in the 99/4a facebook group.. just talked with ralph fowler today there..   has he been on here?  

it's not scattering people its gathering them i point them regularly here for reference,

I found the author of wizard's lair on facebook..  for instance and his software is now available again to the community 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

weird I have over 1200 people in the 99/4a facebook group..

Everyone has their own choices, and as far as I'm concerned Facebook doesn't interest me. 

Sure, you might can find some interesting things thanks to the FB group but I think that it is anecdotal compare to AtariAge.

The really and most interesting conversations was before on the main 99/4A community  mailing Yahoo! list  "ti99-4a" then they migrated to AtariAge and I think that for me this is sufficient. 

That said, I sincerely doubt that all of the 1200 people of your FB TI-99 group are really all active, most of them come or came by curiosity, some posted few messages and then moved on. I would be curious to see the statistics of these 1200 members 🙂