IGNORED

Dream: Land of Giants, and what could have been. . . .

It looks great and all but gives too much of a DKC 2 vibe, so the look feels a bit recycled.

Would have been nice to know what kind of gameplay mechanics they had in mind because that footage seems a bit limited as an RPG.

But I guess that is why they cancelled it, would have been too big for the SNES.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wayler said:

It looks great and all but gives too much of a DKC 2 vibe, so the look feels a bit recycled.

Would have been nice to know what kind of gameplay mechanics they had in mind because that footage seems a bit limited as an RPG.

But I guess that is why they cancelled it, would have been too big for the SNES.

I doubt they cancelled it because it would have been too big for SNES. I'd like to think one of the best developers on SNES, and a company that had already made loads of games for decades at that point across multiple platforms, including quite a few games on SNES using the same pre-rendered style too, would have had a good idea of what they were going to require to make the full game on SNES from the get-go. I think it's more likely it was because they just wanted to move onto the newer N64 console for their new idea, probably even at the request of Nintendo. I do agree about the particular rendered artistic look in general though, especially the actual look of the characters, and I would personally have went with something else if I were calling the shots. But, regardless of that, it's still visually impressive for a 16-bit game for sure, especially some of the subtle visual effects going on. Would have been very interesting to see what they could have achieved with a finished game there.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

Given they also killed other projects at the time, including one they've shown a little of, you know, that most horndogged over n64 game Goldeneye where it started on SNES it's no surprise.  More surprising they just buried it than carried it over, but I guess goldeneye was fairly large, and if you look at their release list into the N64 banjo perhaps got a little inspiration there given the other chocies are diddy kong racing, killer instinct, and blast corps.

• Like 1