IGNORED

400/800 OS-B Source

Panther

The only OS-B source code I found previously appeared to be scans that had been OCR'd and contained issues that would prevent it from compiling correctly.  I've reformatted and cleaned up the code to compile using xasm.  I did not correct the typos and spelling mistakes in the comments.  I've added three options near the top that allow selecting either NTSC or PAL, and including the standard FP math (fp.bin), fast math (fastmath.bin), or no math, just the 8K OS.

OSB.asm

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Panther said:

The only OS-B source code I found previously appeared to be scans that had been OCR'd and contained issues that would prevent it from compiling correctly.  I've reformatted and cleaned up the code to compile using xasm.  I did not correct the typos and spelling mistakes in the comments.  I've added three options near the top that allow selecting either NTSC or PAL, and including the standard FP math (fp.bin), fast math (fastmath.bin), or no math, just the 8K OS.

OSB.asm 129.58 kB · 1 download

This is pretty cool and looks like one heck of a task. Thank you for this!

Hi!

20 minutes ago, Panther said:

Tomasz Krasuski, @Kr0tki in this forum, did a wonderful collection with the sources for all the known OS ROM versions, with all comments and in CA65 assembler format, producing the correct check summed ROM when assembled. His last version can be download from this post as a 7Zip archive:

Have Fun!

• Like 1

@Panther just had a go at trying to compile using MADS as I don't think there are many differences between MADS and xasm,

however I obviously would need the included binary files, but also it throws up an error here

LENGTH    equ LENGTH-CIOINT

try as I might I can find no reference to this in other OSB listings

If I comment it out and set for a no math pack, it compiles with no changes.

14 minutes ago, Panther said:

That's your webspace, my company just owns the server.

However you want to look at it. I just assumed you were a little more familiar with what's on my website -- since you thought enough of it to gift me the space.

14 minutes ago, Panther said:

On the plus side, I learned a lot about the OS after going all the way through the source.

I have no doubts about that... 6,000+ lines of code.

16 hours ago, MrFish said:

However you want to look at it. I just assumed you were a little more familiar with what's on my website -- since you thought enough of it to gift me the space.

I have no doubts about that... 6,000+ lines of code.

I'm not keeping up on things quite like I used to.  Only recently did I start doing much with the Atari systems again, mostly with SimCheck and the stuff for Panos' 800 board, which is why I needed to work on the OS-B source code.  He's developed a very nice card, it just needs the right software.

50 minutes ago, Panther said:

I'm not keeping up on things quite like I used to.  Only recently did I start doing much with the Atari systems again, mostly with SimCheck and the stuff for Panos' 800 board, which is why I needed to work on the OS-B source code.  He's developed a very nice card, it just needs the right software.

Yeah, I can understand that. I was partially joking in my first comment.

You're welcome to ask if you need anything that seems a bit obscure to non-existent. Aside from the stuff on my websites, I also have a ton of things that aren't up yet -- along with a lot of other Atari-related documents and files.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely need to be able to load the ROM area from a Windows system via USB.  I'm rather surprised to find these aren't already being sold anywhere, at least not that I've found.  I suppose this shouldn't be too difficult to make with an ATmega, some SRAM, and a 74LS245.  It would save me time and trouble to have one, but I'm fairly certain it would require even more time to design, build, and program one.

On 11/20/2022 at 2:48 AM, TGB1718 said:

@Panther just had a go at trying to compile using MADS as I don't think there are many differences between MADS and xasm,

however I obviously would need the included binary files, but also it throws up an error here

LENGTH    equ LENGTH-CIOINT

try as I might I can find no reference to this in other OSB listings

If I comment it out and set for a no math pack, it compiles with no changes.

I swear, you snuck this message into the forum somehow, I didn't see this response.  The .bin files are just the floating point math packs, I use either the standard one included in OS-B (fp.bin) or any fastmath version you want to use (fastmath.bin).  I'm not very familiar with MADS, but I just checked the manual and it looks like the INS instruction should work the same, so I don't know why it throws that error if you've set it to disable using the math packs.  Does it still throw an error if you include fp.bin and fastmath.bin in the directory?