IGNORED

Odyssey 2 Controller Service and current mod options?

swlovinist

Longtime Odyssey 2 fan and was wondering who does current repairs for others.   I have some detachable Odyssey 2 controllers that are just not working great.   The buttons no longer respond or are delayed.    The joystick directional movement is not great at all.   Basically these controllers are worn out.   Is there a way to refurbish them?   Also, while I am on the topic of repairs, is there anyone who does console mods for the Odyssey 2?   I have one AV modded Console, but was wondering if there any other mod that can be done for modern televisions.  Any response here is most appreciated.   

Hi John, 

I don't know of any other video modifications that can be done to the Odyssey2. For example, I do not believe there is a mod that allows an HDMI connection to a modern TV.

That would be nice, but I don't think it would happen. Sure would be nice. One can dream.  You never know... You can never say never with the retro gaming community...

I do have a friend who did a modification for me on my O2 console that has the two wired controllers that cannot be detached:

He added a 9 pin port that allows me to connect a standard ATARI 2600 compatible joystick to play the games. I guess I am lucky because both of my wired controllers are still working well after all these years.

I asked him about the worn-out controllers that you have and this was his reply:

" as far as fixing the original joysticks, there's really nothing to fix in them.  They use a membrane for all the switch contacts, much like the 5200 and Intellivision controllers.  I don't know of anybody making new membranes for them.  That's why I ended up modding my system to use standard Atari controllers. "

If anyone is looking to have this service done, please let me know and I will give you my friend's email address.

-Tim

Edited by timdu
font size change

2 hours ago, timdu said:

Hi John, 

I don't know of any other video modifications that can be done to the Odyssey2. For example, I do not believe there is a mod that allows an HDMI connection to a modern TV.

That would be nice, but I don't think it would happen. Sure would be nice. One can dream.  You never know... You can never say never with the retro gaming community...

I do have a friend who did a modification for me on my O2 console that has the two wired controllers that cannot be detached:

He added a 9 pin port that allows me to connect a standard ATARI 2600 compatible joystick to play the games. I guess I am lucky because both of my wired controllers are still working well after all these years.

I asked him about the worn-out controllers that you have and this was his reply:

" as far as fixing the original joysticks, there's really nothing to fix in them.  They use a membrane for all the switch contacts, much like the 5200 and Intellivision controllers.  I don't know of anybody making new membranes for them.  That's why I ended up modding my system to use standard Atari controllers. "

If anyone is looking to have this service done, please let me know and I will give you my friend's email address.

-Tim

Sounds great and will dm you.   I have an AV modded console, is that the best that can be done with modding these?

Just yesterday I had cleaned up one of my controllers. They are really simple internally. Here are photos I took when it was disassembled. The spring loaded joystick (mechanical via roller ball bearing accessible from bottom) applies pressure to one or more of the 8 directional points, which in turn hit the membrane. Mine was not receiving feedback when moving left and I was able to re-shift and center the spring/base and cleaned everything up a bit and is working well now.

Fh_B5osWYAErYYq?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

The above controller is an early one.  All of the non-detachable joysticks I have worked on have mylar layers like below. You press down on the black hemispherical plastic cover and there is a spring clip you need to get off of the shaft.  After that the cover, coil spring, presser washer and mylar comes up easily.  You could then take some alcohol on a cotton swab and clean the contact points. The spring clip does break sometimes so beware. My success rate is not 100 percent, you can clean contacts but any cracks on the traces on the mylar are not easily fixed. (that is why I have a dusty junk controller to take pictures of).

controller.thumb.jpg.e32c89abfd4de9642cdbb3cc92b9593b.jpggroove.thumb.jpg.ad1afa81843cc12ce78c354e01701cc6.jpg

To add joystick ports is easy.  This is a diagram from the point of view that you are adding 9 pin male sockets (atari style) to a standard non-removable mother board, one which has a 6 pin controller connector (Molex). Note, I usually leave the existing controller connection alone and solder jumper wires to the pins on the back of the board. Lastly I cut holes in the case to permanently mount the atari joystick ports.

image.png.8dab006cdb7ac09f07e82a5ec631f2a4.png

Pin 1 BLACK  = common = DB9M 8

Pin2  WHITE  = fire button = DB9M 6

Pin 3 GREEN  = stick left = DB9M 4

pin 4 YELLOW = stick down = DB9M 2

pin 5 ORANGE = stick right = DB9M 3

pin 6 RED    = stick up = DB9M 1

• Like 2

John, if you'd like to get an adapter or two to be able to use Atari 2600 compatible joysticks on your original run O2 with detachable joysticks, here's a good place to get them. I bought one and they wound up giving me a second for free as a surprise and they work as they should: https://sadgirlsrecords.com/products/atari-2600-to-magnavox-odyssey-2-controller-adapter-converter

• Like 1