ROM Name: Popeye (Revision D)

ROM File: popeye

Picked by: Cynicaster

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED ) :

Difficulty: easy

Bonus life: 40,000

Lives: 3 

Console Side-Quest:

What do you think is one of the best arcade port on the Atari 2600 or the rival Intellivision?  Post a score for 2 bonus points.  

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday December 4, 11:59pm PST

Previous Round Results:

Score

MAME Offender

Cynicaster

evan04

Floyd Turbo

RuySan

Hero2millions

S.BAZ

jblenkle

NE146

Robotron

Score

Cynicaster

MAME Offender

NE146

evan04

Floyd Turbo

Hero2millions

S.BAZ

jblenkle

RuySan

CSQ Bonus

Hero2millions

Floyd Turbo

Cynicaster

MAME Offender

S.BAZ

jblenkle

evan04

NE146

RuySan

Standings to Date:

Cynicaster

MAME Offender

Floyd Turbo

evan04

Hero2millions

S.BAZ

NE146

jblenkle

RuySan

bankp.zip popeye.zip

• Thanks 1

I think 2600 Space Invaders is the best arcade port on those systems -- I liked it much better than the arcade version!  (still do)  It felt "scary".  It had an impending doom factor, so I want to shoot right now!  Really easy to get into and very challenging and I wanted to play again & again.  Seeing someone else play, I felt super jealous like, give me that damn controller now!  The arcade version... well, I didn't really care if I was playing or watching.  I liked it but only would play once or twice at a time.  The difficulty was a bit brutal and the fun factor wasn't exactly through the roof.  Plus it had a kind of "silly" feel to it like that game Carnival.  It lacked the intensely engaging feel of the 2600 version!!

Popeye:  43,500  (2nd attempt)

0002.png

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, S.BAZ said:

I think 2600 Space Invaders is the best arcade port on those systems -- I liked it much better than the arcade version!  (still do)  It felt "scary".  It had an impending doom factor, so I want to shoot right now!  Really easy to get into and very challenging and I wanted to play again & again.  Seeing someone else play, I felt super jealous like, give me that damn controller now!  The arcade version... well, I didn't really care if I was playing or watching.  I liked it but only would play once or twice at a time.  The difficulty was a bit brutal and the fun factor wasn't exactly through the roof.  Plus it had a kind of "silly" feel to it like that game Carnival.  It lacked the intensely engaging feel of the 2600 version!!

I also strongly prefer the 2600 game to the arcade - one of the very rare instances for me where I prefer a home port over the original - but there is probably a bit of bias for me toward the 2600 version since I grew up with it and never even played the original arcade version until I was in my 30s.  

There are many other games inspired by Space Invaders that are much more fun to play than Space Invaders itself, IMO.  It's a pioneering game but just a bit too "basic" to hold my attention for more than a few minutes at a time.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1