IGNORED

Eye of the Beholder for the C64 released today!

LiqMatrix

14 hours ago, LatchKeyKid said:

I've been following this for years and it's one of two homebrew game ports that I've been most looking forward to in the c64 retro community with the other being the port of Limbo to the system.

Exactly my thoughts as well. This and Limbo look amazing.

For the unaware you can download the Limbo demo here: https://www.protovision.games/games/limbo.php?language=en

Edited by LiqMatrix
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in the era of turn-based RPGs... games like Bard's Tale and Wizardry where you had a moment to think about strategy between each round of attacks. Along with being a marvel of 8-bit programming, this game is HARD. The one thing I'm getting really good at is creating new victims party members. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't generally post in the Commodore forum, but had to share and comment on this.  I am an old-school Commodore guy, I've got lots of modded C64s & C128's and an ultimate 64 as well.  Anyway, I just got this up and running today with my C128, my easyflash3 cart, and a small composite LCD for the secondary map display (I tapped into the mono signal on PIN 7 of the RGB port).  Wow, it's truly amazing!  If I'd had this game as a kid in the 80's I would have never left my room. :)

c128-EyeOfTheBeholder.jpg

• Like 7

Found the site for the port , looks like they tried but couldn't get a license:

PLEASE NOTE: LICENCE SITUATION

Trademark and intellectual property of the Eye of the Beholder series are owned by Wizards of the Coast LLC. 

Unfortunately we could not manage to receive a licence for this port and it is not fully covered by the WotC open licence, which prevents any distribution in a commercial manner. So decision has been made to provide the Commodore 64 version as open source to the C64 community.

Given this situation, we recommend purchasing the original version, which is currently available on GOG and Steam as part of “Forgotten Realms: The Archives – Collection One”. You not only support the rights holder and their sales partners, but also receive the instructions and the clue book for the game.

So that's probably why they didn't make a manual.

The page also mentions this, though I don't know how helpful the help screen is:

open help screen by pressing “H”

6 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Found the site for the port , looks like they tried but couldn't get a license:

So that's probably why they didn't make a manual.

The page also mentions this, though I don't know how helpful the help screen is:

Here's the Help screen.  Also, for the benefit of anyone reading this who also can't figure out how to attack - you attack by right clicking on the weapon in the top right.  There is a cooldown period after attacking and the weapon will be greyed out for a bit.  I marked that in the 2nd screenshot.

EOB_Attack.jpg

EOB_Help.jpg

• Like 1