IGNORED

2 NEW BOOKS FOR THE ATARI 8-BIT XL/XE

ac.tomo

Thanks for all your comments, as far as I know the price you see on AMAZON is the price you pay, it's available on AMAZON.COM as well as AMAZON.CO.UK (and other AMAZON countries also), just search: "C&EM".

I'll let the cat out of the bag, the 2nd book is all about text and graphics with LOTS of information never been released ever before, at the moment there are 3 chapters left to finish and 3 chapters yet to do. When I do finish it I will be posting it up on this forum and I will also be putting another message up which at the moment I'm not going to divulge, you'll just have to wait and see.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:52 PM, ac.tomo said:

Thanks for all your comments, as far as I know the price you see on AMAZON is the price you pay, it's available on AMAZON.COM as well as AMAZON.CO.UK (and other AMAZON countries also), just search: "C&EM".

Yes, I just checked at Amazon.com (U.S.) and it is evidently in stock in the States.  $29.48, with two-day delivery.

@ac.tomoHow do you handle the XL/XE -- an appendix like Mapping?  Or some other way?

16 hours ago, ac.tomo said:

I'll let the cat out of the bag, the 2nd book is all about text and graphics with LOTS of information never been released ever before, at the moment there are 3 chapters left to finish and 3 chapters yet to do. When I do finish it I will be posting it up on this forum and I will also be putting another message up which at the moment I'm not going to divulge, you'll just have to wait and see.

thanks for update - I look forward to the book, sounds like a lot of work, so I understand I am going to have to wait for this one.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:28 PM, Larry said:

Yes, I just checked at Amazon.com (U.S.) and it is evidently in stock in the States.  $29.48, with two-day delivery.

@ac.tomoHow do you handle the XL/XE -- an appendix like Mapping?  Or some other way?

I'm not sure what you mean Larry?

Yes mutil8, a little while yet.

Edited by ac.tomo

14 minutes ago, Zolaerla said:

In Mapping the Atari, it had a separate appendix specifically for the changes for the XL/XE vs just 400/800. How do you handle that part?

Ah, ok. I've read through the "addenda & errata" appendix and the XL one and put all of the information together in the main MAP to reduce jumping around trying to find the correct information. The "XL enhancements etc." appendix lists the XL locations & older 4/800 locations all together (so although everything has been eased and added for the XL/XE user, the older 4/800 systems are still fully covered).

Edited by ac.tomo
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 5:22 AM, danwinslow said:

Kind of surprised the title doesn't have the word 'atari' in it.

Probably because THIS Atari has been known to be very litigious. 😕 I don't even use Atari in our podcast. Not that we are a blip on their radar but when I heard that lawyers reached out to AtariAge, I thought it best not to mention Atari in our title just in case (although I do use it HERE).

Edited by Justin Payne

• 1 month later...

Hi all, it might sound odd but I need an answer to a problem I've got concerning one of the topics in my graphics book: the topic is 'input/output' and although I have all the information I need for the real hardware I don't know how to load a font file in Altirra, the fast way, here's what I got:

10 DATA 104,104,104,170,76,86,228
20 FOR I=0 TO 6:READ D:POKE 1536+I,D:NEXT I
35 OPEN #1,8,0,"D:NAME.FNT"
40 POKE 849,1:POKE 850,11
50 POKE 852,0:POKE 853,PEEK(106)
60 POKE 856,0:POKE 857,4:POKE 858,8
70 X=USR(1536)
80 CLOSE #1

I do have the program to do it the slow way (printing byte by byte to the file) but not the fast way, any help much appreciated, whoever gives me the solution will be credited in the book (ofcourse).

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

Just seen this thread. When an opportunity arises, I'll pick one up. I was one of those who bought one of the original release. Was it really '94?? Sold it about 15 years ago because I needed the money. Should have wore a wig and a sexy dress on a street corner instead.

lol, there's a couple of extra bits in the latest version.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just thought I'd give you an update on the next new book on text and graphics for those who are interested, I actually had more than I thought I had left to do and the reason why it's taking so long is that I don't have a lot of time in the week to work on it, but rest assured that it is progressing but will be a number of months away from finishing at the mo.

• Like 1