IGNORED

PC Mode "On-A-Stick" (from Atari store)

Atarick

I just checked the Atari store during the Black Friday sale and saw something I hadn't seen before: a flash drive branded with the Fuji logo sold as "PC Mode on-a-stick". Anyone have experience with this yet? I grabbed one as it seemed a good deal (not a huge drive but preloaded with a Debian Linux build and drivers), and I am having the worst time trying to get Minecraft to work for my son using Windows 10 from an external drive (Seagate 1 Touch, 500G) in existing PC mode (without any added RAM or memory). If the stick is close to Batocera or similar my plan is to just use it as an emulation vehicle. Feel free to share any other uses/ideas you could envision given the specs of this thing. 

https://atari.com/products/usb-port

Edited by justclaws
Added link

3 hours ago, Atarick said:

I just checked the Atari store during the Black Friday sale and saw something I hadn't seen before: a flash drive branded with the Fuji logo sold as "PC Mode on-a-stick". Anyone have experience with this yet? I grabbed one as it seemed a good deal (not a huge drive but preloaded with a Debian Linux build and drivers), and I am having the worst time trying to get Minecraft to work for my son using Windows 10 from an external drive (Seagate 1 Touch, 500G) in existing PC mode (without any added RAM or memory). If the stick is close to Batocera or similar my plan is to just use it as an emulation vehicle. Feel free to share any other uses/ideas you could envision given the specs of this thing. 

I do have Minecraft running on VCS under Ubuntu.    This is the Java edition which has native Linux support.   It runs well enough for my kids.    I don't know if the Bedrock edition is doable under Linux, maybe with Wine.    

I use PC mode with ubuntu for emulation (Wii is the most recent system I emulate, some say VCS works well for Playstation 2 as well, but I haven't tried.   I also run older PC games using Wine and DOSbox

Also media player-   something like VLC has more codecs than the average set top box, so it can play some of my older videos that my Roku or PS5 can't

2 hours ago, zzip said:

I do have Minecraft running on VCS under Ubuntu.    This is the Java edition which has native Linux support.   It runs well enough for my kids.    I don't know if the Bedrock edition is doable under Linux, maybe with Wine.    

I use PC mode with ubuntu for emulation (Wii is the most recent system I emulate, some say VCS works well for Playstation 2 as well, but I haven't tried.   I also run older PC games using Wine and DOSbox

Also media player-   something like VLC has more codecs than the average set top box, so it can play some of my older videos that my Roku or PS5 can't

Nice. Yeah I have found some early XBOX 360 games work nearly perfectly on the VCS (Lego Batman, Joyride, etc), so that may be another good one, as thise games live on Steam. I'll give Java edition a go on this stick once it arrives. They do have a Linux debian build for Minecraft but I'd rather go with what works for most. I also think it seems like some of the Steam games for Windows 10 should be playable via this stick as well. 

2 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

Also, nice that they included the Atari VCS OS and Bios disaster recovery images on it...

Oh cool..   I've been going back and forth whether I want one, but having the recovery stuff in one place and not have to search online for it makes it more attractive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

As of today the Atari link has a different and extremely generic looking USB stick pictured,  Also, at first glance didn't see any info on what makes this different from stock Debian 11. 

Wow... so I did not even notice that. The website picture is much cooler looking. Hmm...

It is a Kingston branded USB stick, so hopefully I didn't get duped. I'll try it on the VCS after work and report back...

...maybe they put the USB stick in backwards like the XP carts and it won't work. 😁

6 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

As of today the Atari link has a different and extremely generic looking USB stick pictured,  Also, at first glance didn't see any info on what makes this different from stock Debian 11. 

I just checked the site and it looks the same as it did before with a round opening at the back.  The Linux distro is just regular Debian with a couple Atari wallpapers thrown in.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

It is a Kingston branded USB stick, so hopefully I didn't get duped. I'll try it on the VCS after work and report back...

One of the Atari employees on Discord stated the style you have is the earlier version and is more rare.  Sounds like you got a collectors item...

22 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

One of the Atari employees on Discord stated the style you have is the earlier version and is more rare.  Sounds like you got a collectors item...

Where is that? I just added Official Atari Games to Discord, but can't find topic.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it:

• 2e14548cc32236730821cb127a42a611.webp?si

davpa11/28/2022 5:20 PM

that is what my USB stick is like. There was probably a small number of those as the trial run and the majority is how it is pictured on the website. You've got a rare collectable version. Bonus

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 1

Well... so far no go on my Debian install.

I have gone thru the set-up 5 times now, and after setting everything up 5 times, I get the ATARI VCS imaged desktop with NO apps, no drop downs, nothing. Only options I get are the power drop down.

If I reboot, it just goes right back to the Debian set-up. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_20221202_122915414[1].jpg

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

Well... so far no go on my Debian install.

I have gone thru the set-up 5 times now, and after setting everything up 5 times, I get the ATARI VCS imaged desktop with NO apps, no drop downs, nothing. Only options I get are the power drop down.

If I reboot, it just goes right back to the Debian set-up. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_20221202_122915414[1].jpg

Yeah same deal happening to me. Just the three option icons top right but no browser,, apps, etc. I almost wonder if it is a resolution deal. I'll fiddle with it later but if anyone has any theories or experience, all help appreciated.

11 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Read the VCS reddit. Same issue was discussed there today. And seems to have been solved in an unusual manner. Making sure the username and full name fields matched did it for me.

Interesting, will give that a shot now. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

If I remember correctly, I had to do the same thing when setting up Mint.  Mint prompts you to do that though instead of just leaving you hanging.  Kind of a stupid setup if you ask me.

The above method of using the same name and username worked for me. Thanks for the tip!

15 hours ago, livingonwheels said:

Read the VCS reddit. Same issue was discussed there today. And seems to have been solved in an unusual manner. Making sure the username and full name fields matched did it for me.

Solid response! Thanks! Even though makes no sense, that was the issue. Debian is now installed and updating!