IGNORED

What TI-99/4A-adjacent systems are you tempted to explore?

pixelpedant

There are various TI-99/4A-adjacent computers which attract interest here.  Geneve, CC-40, Tomy Tutor, TI-74, TI-990, etc. 

What relative of the TI-99/4A that you haven't seriously delved into yet are you tempted to explore, these days?  Either via original hardware, or emulation.

Or is the TI-99/4A itself enough for you?

• Like 4

I suspect I am one of the worst case freaks here. I have a Dimension 4, 99/4s, 99/4As, 99/8s, a Geneve 9640, Tomy Tutors, Tomy Pyuutas, CC40s, TI74s, Powertran Cortices, a Marinchip S-9900, a TM990/189, and most of the parts to build a TI-990. I have parts to build one of Stuart's updated Cortex boards too. . .

• Like 11

8 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

There are various TI-99/4A-adjacent computers which attract interest here.  Geneve, CC-40, Tomy Tutor, TI-74, TI-990, etc. 

What relative of the TI-99/4A that you haven't seriously delved into yet are you tempted to explore, these days?  Either via original hardware, or emulation.

Or is the TI-99/4A itself enough for you?

I’d like to play with a Genève one day. Or, at least, get my hand on a UCSD Pascal p-code card since I consider this a different beast than the stock 99/4a. I played with 6502 and 68000 plenty, so I want to learn about other architecture. I wouldn’t say no to an MSX/Z80 system also.

• Like 1

Likewise.  After all, in the same years when a bunch of you were driving to work at the height of the home computer boom, I was driving nowhere (but fast!) on my Tomy Turbo:

Remember these? Tomy Racing Turbo. This particular one was in storage for  the longest time. Still works great. 😁 : r/retrogaming

But seriously, I think those things were rather exciting for about 20 seconds if you were the right age when they released (in 83 apparently).

Then it became clear that they don't really *do* much of anything. 

Pretty exciting for those 20 seconds though. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Within the TMS9900 realm in addition to the TI-99/4A I'm interested in the Geneve, Tomy Tutor and the TI-99/2. Of course all three are based on the TMS-9995. @pnr made a FPGA version of the TI-99/2 (not sure if it's complete) and I have played with it. I find it interesting since it has a "normal" architecture: memory mapped frame buffer, no GROMs and I guess no GPL either. That architecture would be much better for BASIC. I just dug up the "TI992_Product_Specification.pdf" and indeed the memory layout is nice, no I/O devices breaking the memory map in the middle. Makes me think if I should build one myself, I recently acquired two more TMS9995 processors (still untested). Just use the existing spec and of course add color graphics :) 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I suspect I am one of the worst case freaks here. I have a Dimension 4, 99/4s, 99/4As, 99/8s, a Geneve 9640, Tomy Tutors, Tomy Pyuutas, CC40s, TI74s, Powertran Cortices, a Marinchip S-9900, a TM990/189, and most of the parts to build a TI-990. I have parts to build one of Stuart's updated Cortex boards too. . .

As you. In TI-99/4A computers line, I have 99/4s, 99/4As, 99/4QI, 99/2, 99/5, 99/8, Geneve 9640s, Tomy Tutors & Pyuutas, CC-40s, CC-40+, TI-74, TM990/189.  I would love to find the Dimension 1, Dimension 4, 99/4B a 99/7 to study them in details.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, speccery said:

Within the TMS9900 realm in addition to the TI-99/4A I'm interested in the Geneve, Tomy Tutor and the TI-99/2. Of course all three are based on the TMS-9995. @pnr made a FPGA version of the TI-99/2 (not sure if it's complete) and I have played with it. I find it interesting since it has a "normal" architecture: memory mapped frame buffer, no GROMs and I guess no GPL either. That architecture would be much better for BASIC. I just dug up the "TI992_Product_Specification.pdf" and indeed the memory layout is nice, no I/O devices breaking the memory map in the middle. Makes me think if I should build one myself, I recently acquired two more TMS9995 processors (still untested). Just use the existing spec and of course add color graphics :) 

I think combined with the F18a as GPU VDP that would make a really great machine

The CC40 is a very underappreciated computer. It's Basic is very similar to TI Basic including character definition and is very easy to use. And now that we have an SD-based drive for it, sharing programs has become practical. Not to mention the availability of a multicart that includes all the major apps and languages available for the system as well as a RAM expansion cart. I think Greg's store carries most of these.

I thought these developments would spawn a renaissance for the CC40, but sadly it did not materialize...

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

I thought these developments would spawn a renaissance for the CC40, but sadly it did not materialize...

Hopefully that would happen. Sadly I don't personally have one, although I do have a TI-74 which I like and I so much want to replace that screen with a small graphics color screen... But I don't want to butcher the otherwise fine TI-74. I like its keyboard. I love the portability, but no 16-bit CPU and the one line LCD is limiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

I think that apart from the lack of an affordable storage device (now corrected), the CC-40 had the shortcoming of having an LCD screen consisting of only one line of display. When you consider the large size of the CC-40 (and the empty areas inside), the integration of a two or even four lines screen would was easily possible and would have made the CC40 the perfect machine, allowing the development of fantastic applications. My dream pocket TI computer was the CC-70, never marketed, alas...

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:10 PM, pixelpedant said:

I would be interestet in the TI-99/8 ... but the 4a and my Atari 800XL are yet to be "fully explored".

• Like 3

I love the CC-40 mainly because there was a time when I was forced to use it. 

Over a 3-week road trip vacation, my computer was the CC-40, lots of batteries, and graph paper.  Later, I still used it to call BBSs. Because I had no modem on the 4A, and used it as a 4A modem relay. (PC Pursuit dialup was free at night then. Used the CC-40 for that.)

So, I'm interested in getting up to date with the CC-40 and HexBus. 

If I had a chance, I would adopt a 990 chassis. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Vorticon said:

The CC40 is a very underappreciated computer. It's Basic is very similar to TI Basic including character definition and is very easy to use. And now that we have an SD-based drive for it, sharing programs has become practical. Not to mention the availability of a multicart that includes all the major apps and languages available for the system as well as a RAM expansion cart. I think Greg's store carries most of these.

One other very key piece of the puzzle would be a screen replacement mod.  Since the great majority of units have missing pixel rows/columns. 

With a screen replacement solution, the CC-40 would have everything it needs to be properly enjoyed by as many people as own one. 

• Like 2

One would be surprised with what can be done with a 1-line display using a little creativity. I've written a WWI air combat game on it! But I do agree that the limited screen real estate was a poor design choice. On the plus side however, the large font is very easy on the aging eyes :)

The CC40 is the perfect companion on long flights as well where using a laptop on the cramped seats is an exercise in contortion...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chue said:

Turtles is in high school!? 😱 Time sure flies…

He actually took the High School Algebra class while he was in Middle School last year, but he's in High School now and having a lot of fun at it too (this year, he's been playing with Geometry and German).

• Like 3